The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

New Age Colorado former group Wind Machine "Rain Maiden" (from 1985) (complete CD) who disbanded in 1999.

I own a few Wind machine albums " The road to freedom" is one standout several songs got a lot of airplay I still enjoy their music and they are missed

Crazy Life was one of the 5 Gino Vannelli albums on A&M that I saw at the thrift store. I was back there today.
They had a slew of new stock and I found Claudine's The Look Of Love, Sergio Mendes-The Great Arrival and a copy of YeMeLe. Other than the German pressing that I found years ago, I have never seen YeMeLe in a thrift store or used record store. All three will be on the turntable soon.

Last edited:
A little nod to Christine McVie (RIP). Possibly the most sane member of Fleetwood Mac? 😉

Yep, that is the late Christine McVie with "Brown Eyes" (from 1979 "Tusk"). NOT The Partridge Family (with the late David Cassidy) 1971 remake. :laugh:

While listening to my old Christmas compilation on out way back to town, I heard this song from Juan Oskar - "Christmas Is For Grownups Too"

That Magnifico cut Rudy posted reminded me of both Yello and 3Mustaphas3... Good stuff! 👍

That Magnifico cut Rudy posted reminded me of both Yello and 3Mustaphas3... Good stuff! 👍
That stuff is popular in another part of the world. I'm surprised that it hasn't been noticed here in the US/Canada, outside of maybe a tiny part of the Slavic communities. He's been quite a major artist over there for the past few decades, and very flexible in his influences, as he takes musical references from all genres and decades. He's even done the requisite symphony concerts with his hits.

Five of the six albums in my Roon Player right now are available on Qobuz; the other one, Komplet II (a compilation), I had to get from 7Digital.

1670248090759.png

Spinning this right now while finishing up work.

1670262938816.png

I had no idea mine was an early pressing. It has the yellow innersleeves, and the following in the runout ("G" for Gloversville pressing):

• Pressing Plant ID (Stamped in runouts): ⧈-G-⧈
Seems my mother's cousin did not play this record much, as there's no groove burn on it. And surprisingly for an MCA Records pressing, the Rice Krispies were not invited as backing musicians since the record plays fairly clean.

Looking at the credits, David Hentschel is credit for the ARP synthesizer. I recognize his name from his engineering work on the string of Genesis albums from Trick of the Tail through Duke. He also engineered and produced a couple of Yellowjackets' albums (Four Corners, Politics).

Also interesting to me in Yellowjackets-land is that Jan Erik Kongshaug, who engineered and was responsible for the house sound of ECM Records, engineered their next two records in Oslo, Norway--The Spin, and Greenhouse.

1670262938816.png

I had no idea mine was an early pressing. It has the yellow innersleeves, and the following in the runout ("G" for Gloversville pressing):

Seems my mother's cousin did not play this record much, as there's no groove burn on it. And surprisingly for an MCA Records pressing, the Rice Krispies were not invited as backing musicians since the record plays fairly clean.

Looking at the credits, David Hentschel is credit for the ARP synthesizer. I recognize his name from his engineering work on the string of Genesis albums from Trick of the Tail through Duke. He also engineered and produced a couple of Yellowjackets' albums (Four Corners, Politics).

Also interesting to me in Yellowjackets-land is that Jan Erik Kongshaug, who engineered and was responsible for the house sound of ECM Records, engineered their next two records in Oslo, Norway--The Spin, and Greenhouse.
I liked Elton John in the pre- Yellow Brick Road days. I have his debut and Madman Across The Water but the song Benny And The Jets was a real turnoff for me. I no longer have the early lps.

My favorite album of all time. It was Elton at his finest. The title cut itself was magical for me, and released a year before my first of 19 more shows over the decades. The last in 2018. I got to see Elton and Carpenters 4 weeks apart in 1974. His voice was at its best, and the song writing about perfect. I still have all my original vinyl albums, and singles. Most were played to death on my old Garrard turntable. I lucked out when I started working in the local record store here. We had a small import vinyl section, and in it was the yellow vinyl set from Europe. Yellow sleeves too! I’ve only played it a couple of times. It’s become a collectors item, but not super rare.
Anyway, I know he’s not for everyone, but respect for any artist that’s sold more than 300 million records. I think my Elton cd and vinyl is about 70% as large as what I’ve collected for Carpenters.

My first Elton John album was DON'T SHOOT ME, I'M ONLY THE PIANO PLAYER. I got that one as an early purchase through the Record Club Of America. I later acquired some of his earlier albums, and through work, managed to wangle an autographed copy of CARIBOU.

Elton-John-Caribou700.jpg

The track, "Ticking" on that album is IMHO one of his best tracks ever.

Spot on Harry. It’s definitely the best track on that album, and probably my favorite after GYBR. If you’re kind of down while listening, it can make you cry. My 1st was the Western themed 3rd album Tumbleweed Connection from 1971.

This record is a fluke on the vinyl side (I only own one other record--Too Low for Zero), but I have maybe five or so SACDs from the 2000s, including this one, and a compilation CD (can't recall which one). Plenty for when I'm in the mood to hear some EJ. 👍

The first Elton album I heard was Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, but a friend quickly turned me on to Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player, and from there on I started working my way backwards until I'd heard all of the earlier LPs. What was surprising was I'd heard a lot of his hits before on the radio, just didn't know who was singing them. "Rocket Man," "Honky Cat," "Your Song," and a few others were all familiar to me before I'd even heard of Elton John.

My favorite LP of his is far and away Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy. It might be because it came out right when I was at my musical "discovery peak" -- I was 20 years old and just absorbing all the music I could. But it's really a great album once you start digging into the details of it, it doesn't have that obvious top 40 style like a lot of his music does -- it takes effort to get into. I like the followup Rock of the Westies a whole lot, too, it has some of his very best hard rock on it but is largely ignored today.

I stopped being a completist when he morphed from a rock singer into more of a "balladeer." In my view the last "great" albums he did were Made in England, followed closely by The Captain and the Kid, although there are certainly moments of glory on just about every album he's done. The more recent duet-things with people like Dua Lipa really leave me cold. Write your own stuff, newbies.

I've watched a few videos that were shot at Elton's "last" concert at Dodger Stadium. I totally get why he doesn't want to do large scale tours anymore. He could still sell just about as many tickets as he wants to, but sadly his voice is just not what it used to be, so it's probably time for him to scale back to smaller shows, if any.

These days I've been listening to a lot of Steven Wilson. He's the leader of a "prog rock" band called Porcupine Tree, but has put out a lot of solo albums as well. His style runs all over the map -- his most "accessible" album is probably To the Bone, especially the song "Permanating" which is a slice of pop genius.

Baja Marimba Band's Watch Out was my find today on lp. It is in very good condition and I got it from a very reputable Record and CD store.
It will be on the turntable soon.

These days I've been listening to a lot of Steven Wilson. He's the leader of a "prog rock" band called Porcupine Tree, but has put out a lot of solo albums as well.
He also did some well-acclaimed remixes on albums from the 70s, including albums by Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, and Gentle Giant (both stereo and 5.1-channel mixes). All I have of the remixes are those by Gentle Giant, especially the handful of tracks from Three Friends (only four of the six tracks were remixed, due to the multitracks being missing for the other two). One of the remixes had an "official" video created of it.

1670262938816.png

My sister played this cassette version along with many of his earlier albums nonstop I liked most of his work from the beginning until Made in England afterwards I lost track of Sir Elton however there are 2 rare instrumental tracks he did that still standout "A Song For Guy" from his 1979 LP "A Single Man" and another which I believe was a single only release called "The Man Who Never Died ". I wish Elton John did more instrumental music but nevertheless I enjoy what there is even my many Muzak instrumental versions of his hits. ( don't shoot me just because I love Elevator music. HAHA.)

EJ made an appearance with a temporary alternate gig here in the 70s:

Program director Rosalie Trombley had noted that local R&B/soul station WJLB had added "Bennie and the Jets" and advised Elton that he should put it out as a single (he was considering "Candle in the Wind" instead). That is why, on the broadcast (not sure if it's in this aircheck) EJ called it "a Detroit record."

A little nod to Christine McVie (RIP). Possibly the most sane member of Fleetwood Mac?

Christine McVie is my favorite female rock singer, so I am pretty sad about her passing. It's kind of odd that she wasn't all that famous under her own name, compared to Stevie Nicks; even though Christine is the one who started Fleetwood Mac's turn from a blues band into a pop/rock band. If not for her and Bob Welch, they probably never would have been in a position to hire Buckingham/Nicks. She also wrote more hits for the band than any other writer, and was a their most consistent writer. The saddest thing is, she also has a ton of great work that came before the Mac hit the big time. So many good songs that most people will never hear. Prove Your Love, Show me a Smile, Spare Me A Little, Just Crazy Love, Heroes are Hard to Find, Morning Rain, Remember Me, lots of others, including many good songs from AFTER the band's heyday. She has some great tunes on the duet album she did with Lindsey Buckingham a few years ago, too.

Christine McVie is my favorite female rock singer, so I am pretty sad about her passing.
She was one of the steady constants in the band over the years and I agree--she's written some of the finest songs for the group and herself. I haven't heard The Legendary Christine Perfect Album yet (I keep forgetting to give it a listen!), but I do have her self-titled solo recording from the mid 80s. She was always low-key and flew under the radar and as for her singing, it's also something I've appreciated from her over the years.

What's sad and scary is that I was thinking she was too young to pass, but she was 79... 😮 Meaning, I'm no spring chicken myself anymore! However, reading a few different articles, it was heartwarming to see that she and Stevie were close friends from the day they met, up until the very end. They survived all the drama of their exes and the group's many troubles over the years.

The person in that band I really worry about now is Mick Fleetwood. That band is his whole life and Christine was one of his best friends. Gotta be tough for him, knowing that there is now really no way to get their most successful lineup together again. I know the feeling of kinda wanting to retire but enjoy work enough to make it really scary to even think about quitting. That's the way it is for me anyway.

Time for a musical reset. Sometimes I just head straight to classical when I'm tired of everything else for a while.

1670619507999.png

I should be playing the vinyl version of these two albums (this is a two-on-one SACD), but this disc sounds excellent also...and I can play it on my desktop system in full DSD as well, so I don't have to fire up the big system.

Back
Top Bottom