1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Holidays! THE OFFICIAL REVIEW: [Album] "AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS" SP-9107

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Dec 1, 2014.

How Would You Rate This Album?

1. ***** (BEST)

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. ****

21 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. ***

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. **

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. *

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

Hard to believe it’s almost that time of year! I was thinking that we had just passed Old-Fashioned’s anniversary, but it’s anniversary is on the 26.

2. tomswift2002

I’m just listening to “Holy Night” on the DVD “Carpenters Christmas Memories” and I noticed that Richard’s piano, and even towards the end the backing instruments are different from what’s on AOFC.

3. I was in the Carpenters' fan club, and had no clue about An Old Fashioned Christmas being released. I was looking through Christmas LP's at Musicland and found it, at first I thought it was a re-issue of A Christmas portrait, but once I took a better look, I found out it was a "new" LP! Took it home and played it at once even though it was still late November! I loved it and am thankful for this Carpenters Christmas treasure. Christmas isn't Christmas without the Carpenters!

4. I paid $7.99 for my original copy in 1984

5. tomswift2002

Bump, because it’s only a month till Christmas and even this album needs to be spun.

6. I listen to my Carpenters' Christmas LP's all year long, I never get tired of hearing Karen's voice

Carpe diem and MARY Malewicz like this.
  7. LPJim

LPJim Well-Known Member Moderator

For the AOTW series there are no albums corresponding to SP 5169, 5170 or 5171. 'OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS' is discussed here (5172), and the next item is SP 5173, 'CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT SPECIAL EDITION' from 1987. From this point I plan to move forward to '5174' next week.

JB

8. tomswift2002

Wasn’t CPSE released in 84 at the same time as AOFC?

9. Tom, Richard re-recorded a lot of the stuff that was featured in the TV specials. The instrumentals were recorded at Abby Road in London, England. Kinda neat with The Beatles connection

10. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

The previous poster wasn’t comparing the DVD version with the TV special, they were comparing it with the version on the 1984 album. I’ve not done a back to back comparison but if they are different does that mean it’s been tinkered with again since 1984?

11. tomswift2002

He may have done that, but the original special was in mono, whereas the DVD is in stereo. The only prior stereo mix was the AOFC, and when you listen to the DVD, Richard used the AOFC mix of “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town”, while the 1974 mono mix showed up on the Perry Como DVD.

12. tomswift2002

Upon further listening, it sounds like the special might’ve had “O Holy Night” recorded right to videotape, in 2-Channel mono, where Richard’s piano was on track 2 and the orchestra was on track 1 (I remember being taught this in college with linear editing, put your most important stuff on 2, such as the reporters voice, because that was the inside track, whereas 1 was the outside track, which was recorded on the very edge of the tape, and if something happened that caused the tape to get damaged there, then you would only loose or have damage to your sound effects and other non-important audio), and it on the DVD it sounds like Richard has tried to mix the AOFC orchestra in to give that stereo sound, while retaining his original mono piano, and some of the mono orchestra. This remix of “O Holy Night” is exclusive to the DVD, as it’s not on any CD.

13. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

If this is the case, it begs the question: why bother go to all this effort? The AOFC mix was readily available to superimpose onto the DVD clip.

14. tomswift2002

It could be like any other remix where Richard likes certain things from certain recording sessions.

15. tomswift2002

I was just watching the DVD. Richard plays the piano more forcefully in one section of “O Holy Night”, which is different from the 84 piano. (Although the 77 piano track contains a lot of tape hiss, which it seems Richard was able to drown out when the orchestra plays with the stereo mix, but when it’s just the piano it is very noisy, even for a mono recording. I’m not to sure why he wasn’t able to use a digital filter to try and lower the hiss.).

But the DVD needs it’s own page on the resource, because it got a lot of remixes that have appeared nowhere else (even the Winter Wonderland/Silver Bells/White Christmas medley is a different edit as parts of the interludes between songs are missing things that are on the CDS, and White Christmas is missing the first verse).

(Just watched “Ave Maria” and it’s the Christmas Portrait original version with no choir).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  16. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    I took the DVD and made a whole complete audio recording including all the speaking parts giving them their own track when the speaking part didn't blend into the next track. I ended up with 17 tracks. I agree some of these are only found here and it's great DVD but also makes for an excellent audio CD.

I imported it into my iTunes library giving it album artwork, love listening to this each season.

Mark-T likes this.
  17. I'll take the matter up with the board at the next board meeting.

18. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

From Bing to Curly, “Sam’s Lounge” has the spirit of Christmas

From Bing to Curly, “Sam’s Lounge” has the spirit of Christmas

"If, by any chance, you have never heard the Three Stooges warble “All I Want For Christmas is My Two Front Teeth” or Karen Carpenter sing “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” and never gazed upon the accompanying record album cover artwork, this is your time to do so......"
    "And then I asked Goldenberg to name his all-time favorite Christmas song.
    He thought for only a moment, then said: “It’s ‘Santa Claus is Coming to Town’ by the Carpenters.
    The 1984 re-mix by Richard (Carpenter). It’s fantastic, powerful.”
    He found the album and cued up that song. We were experiencing a holy New Haven moment: sipping the wine Goldenberg had thoughtfully provided, hearing the angelic voice that came out of the Elm City all those years ago.
    This is a great, great song!” Goldenberg said. “Listen to her voice.
    Richard slowed it down and orchestrated it, expanded it. It’s perfect.”