Votes: 26 81.3%

Votes: 4 12.5%

Votes: 2 6.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree - the original LP version is better, without the choir.
I am extemely lucky to have a rare west german cd of the christmas portrait album - which is identical to the LP pressing. The album was remixed for the special edition and christmas collection set and Karens vocals seem a bit less prominant to me. Also, some of the instrumentation is different.
Furthermore, I think I'm right in saying that Ave Maria on the From the Top set is actually sped up slightly..........
I don't think you are in the minority Gary about preferring the LP version.........

Knowing now what Richard has said about this album, I have renamed this classic (in my heart and mind) Karen Carpenter Christmas Portrait. Her first solo album!
What has Richard said about the album?

I agree with others, BEST Christmas album of all time. I was listening to Superstar the other day and realized it wont be long before this wonderful album has several tracks played on the radio! Come Nov 1st, BRING ON Christmas music!

Every vocal from Karen Carpenter, as delivered on the "An Old Fashioned Christmas" album,
should be as much of a staple during Christmas-time as "Merry Christmas, Darling".
The advent of cd's, with the issuance of the "special edition" should, instead,
have ushered in a Christmas cd which concentrated entirely on Karen's vocals.
One disc, with fantastic vocals by Karen Carpenter, no instrumental fillers and no choirs.
If Karen, as Richard Carpenter has stated, basically did sole duty on the Christmas Songs,
then, one need only utilized her superb vocals for the perfect offering.
(I may be alone in this viewpoint, what's new?)
The Carpenters get a very decent amount of airplay nationwide every Christmas season, and to be honest, I cant think of any artist that gets MORE songs played at Christmas than the Carpenters in number (usually on any given station you hear 3-5 of their tunes in the Christmas rotation). However, I do agree that there are SO many gems on the album you never hear on the radio, and Im thinking....WHY??? Little Altar Boy is her most haunting vocal of any song imo. But I do have to say, the staple, Merry Christmas, Darling, is my #1 favorite Christmas song of all time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom