THE OFFICIAL REVIEW: "NOW & THEN" (SP-3519)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 4 17.4%

Votes: 10 43.5%

Votes: 7 30.4%

Votes: 1 4.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time I heard the oldie's medley - before I picked up the album - was on FM radio. The DJ/station had edited it; Tony's DJ (which I have never liked) was cut. I still have it on tape somewhere. Many of these songs were new to me - I still enjoy listening to it. It would have been nice to have a full version of Our Day Will Come and One Fine Day.

Yesterday Once More and Sing are good songs; but it's very rare that I listen to any of them today. Who knew Sing would chart so high?

This Masquerade is 'up there' as one of my all time favorites - Karen's vocal and Richard's piano / arrangement are great; a pretty sophisticated/elegant peformance. I wish they would have recorded more Leon Russell tunes.

I never understood why Jambalaya made the "NOW" side; Hank Williams hit was in 1952 - which makes this song 'older' than those included in the "THEN" medley. I believe, around this time - 1973 - John Fogerty's Blue Ridge Rangers had a hit with it as well - which made it even more puzzling for the C's to include it.

I Can't Make Music is great too, and unlike others I also enjoy Heather.

You'd probably like the Oldies Medley from THEIR GREATEST HITS AND FINEST PERFORMANCES, the Readers Digest compilation. Each song was remixed in 1990 and then recompiled there without the DJ or sound effects. It unfortunately misses "Da Doo Ron Ron", but does include a bunch of their other "castanet" oldies-type songs within the framework.

Wow - I think this has to be the first time I've ever heard of anyone not liking the reprise. You're probably in a very small minority on that front. Most of us really love that treatment that gently closes the side of the LP and ties it up with an audio bow.

Harry

WOW first I heard of this version of the oldies medley! How can I obtain this CD?

There's currently one listed on eBay.

The $40 price tag is actually pretty decent, considering it's three CDs and out of print.

Harry

There's currently one listed on eBay.

The $40 price tag is actually pretty decent, considering it's three CDs and out of print.

Harry
Thanks so much! You inspired me! I found a new one on Amazon for a couple dollars more - so I pulled the trigger! Anxious to hear a couple of those newer oldies that I hadn't heard yet! May even muy me some new headphones for the occasion! Thanks again, BT

My favorite headphones are Sony MDR-V6's, just recently back on the market.

I hope I didn't mislead you Barry as to what to expect with the Oldies Medley. The way the Readers Digest set handled things, all of the "oldie" songs are themed to appear on Disc Two. The first part of this disc is called "Only Yesterday/Dreams and Memories" and contains the songs:

1. Only Yesterday2. One More Time3. Those Good Old Dreams4. Don't Cry for Me Argentina5. Look to Your Dreams
The rest of the disc is called "Yesterday Once More/Looking Back"
6. Yesterday Once More 7. Fun Fun Fun8. The End of the World9. There's A Kind of Hush10. Help11. Jambalaya (On the Bayou)12. Deadman's Curve13. Johnny Angel14. The Night Has a Thousand Eyes15. Beechwood 4-578916. Bacharach/David Medley (Live)Any Day NowBaby It's YouKnowing When to LeaveMake It Easy On YourselfThere's Always Something There to Remind MeI'll Never Fall In Love AgainWalk On ByDo You Know the Way to San Jose17. Please Mr. Postman18. Reason to Believe19. Our Day Will Come20. One Fine Day21. Yesterday Once More (reprise)
So what you get is the songs of the oldies medley interspersed with the other familiar oldies-type songs. They're regular length, just placed in between the other oldies songs, which were stripped of the DJ and sound effects, making them sound a little more independent of the old "radio show" format. The "Bacharach/David Medley" is the same as the one on the Japanese ANTHOLOGY and is really something special with nearly full-length song versions of some of the tunes.
Harry

My favorite headphones are Sony MDR-V6's, just recently back on the market.

I hope I didn't mislead you Barry as to what to expect with the Oldies Medley. The way the Readers Digest set handled things, all of the "oldie" songs are themed to appear on Disc Two. The first part of this disc is called "Only Yesterday/Dreams and Memories" and contains the songs:

1. Only Yesterday2. One More Time3. Those Good Old Dreams4. Don't Cry for Me Argentina5. Look to Your Dreams
The rest of the disc is called "Yesterday Once More/Looking Back"
6. Yesterday Once More 7. Fun Fun Fun8. The End of the World9. There's A Kind of Hush10. Help11. Jambalaya (On the Bayou)12. Deadman's Curve13. Johnny Angel14. The Night Has a Thousand Eyes15. Beechwood 4-578916. Bacharach/David Medley (Live)Any Day NowBaby It's YouKnowing When to LeaveMake It Easy On YourselfThere's Always Something There to Remind MeI'll Never Fall In Love AgainWalk On ByDo You Know the Way to San Jose17. Please Mr. Postman18. Reason to Believe19. Our Day Will Come20. One Fine Day21. Yesterday Once More (reprise)
So what you get is the songs of the oldies medley interspersed with the other familiar oldies-type songs. They're regular length, just placed in between the other oldies songs, which were stripped of the DJ and sound effects, making them sound a little more independent of the old "radio show" format. The "Bacharach/David Medley" is the same as the one on the Japanese ANTHOLOGY and is really something special with nearly full-length song versions of some of the tunes.
Harry

Ahh... okay - thanks for the clarification... I have heard that Bacharach Medley on Yuo tube - but not on an actual CD... so it will still be a great addition to my collection... Thanks and talk soon! BT

PS / now we just have to find "moon is a harsh mistress" and our collective days will have been made! :)

The 8 track version includes a longer ending on Da Doo Ron Ron, and I wish Richard would have used it on some compilation. Does anyone remember that?

Yes, I do remember, I believe the extended instrumental came at the end of one of the "channels" of the 8-track and faded with the medley continuing on the next channel... I had totally forgot about that over the decades!

just received it in the mail! anything else I ought to be listening for - besides the unitque presentation of the oldies medley? thanks!
It was the debut of the "Can't Smile Without You" remix that later appeared on BY REQUEST in Japan, and is the only US disc to have "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" without the Casa Rosada intro. The "Bacharach Medley" is of course a special feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom