THE OFFICIAL REVIEW: "PASSAGE" (SP-4703)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 1 3.8%

Votes: 12 46.2%

Votes: 7 26.9%

Votes: 5 19.2%

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Chris :thumbsup: - I may have to print that out and re-read it later, just to get my head around it... :laugh:

I DID know that Karen sang/recorded to pre-recorded tracks, and that she and Richard also did background vocals to pre-recorded tracks (i.e. the Hurting Each Other recording video), but I never could quite fathom how they recorded the music without Karen's voice being recorded on the music track...

I remember from the newsletters, that Evelyn said a news station in L.A. filmed one of the "monster" recording sessions for the PASSAGE album. Has anyone here ever seen it? I've seen one B/W photo of Karen taken during that session... I'd love to see the film, as well...

Johnny Angel said:
I DID know that Karen sang/recorded to pre-recorded tracks, and that she and Richard also did background vocals to pre-recorded tracks (i.e. the Hurting Each Other recording video), but I never could quite fathom how they recorded the music without Karen's voice being recorded on the music track...

Even with "Hurting Each Other", Karen would have sang her "work" lead (or "scratch" lead) during the initial tracking of the song. She did that typically so the rest of the guys in the studio could play along to her singing. Just as with the "soundstage" situation, as Karen would sing live to the other musicians playing, her voice was NEVER recorded onto any of the instrumental tracks. It was recorded on an entirely SEPARATE track on the tape, just like each of the individual instruments were. That's why they could pull out Karen's original vocal take, and replace it with the new. Hope that made sense...

Chris_Sydney said:
'B'wana She No Home' continues to confuse me. I have no idea what it's about ...

Roughly described: it's a song from the point of view of a man to his servant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom