The "Original " Lonely Bull

Getting back to "The Lonely Bull", the version mentioned above by Steve that was performed by Jack Jones appeared on Kapp Records with Herb getting credit on the label for directing the orchestra. Here are both sides of that single. First, "The Lonely Bull" by Jack Jones:

Harry

DeeInKY asked: How does a single get cut off-center? Seems like it wouldn't play... :?:

I think the off center problem comes when the single is trimmed and the large whole stamped out. In Europe 45s were pressed and sold with small center holes just like LPs. But in the US in order to have that large center hole, punching out that large center hole is an extra step. If it is punched slightly off center, the record will be off center on your turntable.

I made some recent purchase of a Herb Alpert recording on eBay and the seller sent me a bonus A&M script logo copy of "The Lonely Bull", looking like the first one posted by Steve on page one of this thread. Mine has red pen markings on the "Lonely Bull" side, and the grooves themselves look pretty gnarly, so it's not a play copy.

That first pressing is an excellent sounding single. Probably the best you'll hear these two songs.

DeeInKY asked: How does a single get cut off-center? Seems like it wouldn't play... :?:

I think the off center problem comes when the single is trimmed and the large whole stamped out. In Europe 45s were pressed and sold with small center holes just like LPs. But in the US in order to have that large center hole, punching out that large center hole is an extra step. If it is punched slightly off center, the record will be off center on your turntable.
The backing vocal harmonies on the lonely bull were done by the KenJoeLares. And yes, they're still waiting to get paid. They had a minor hit with Little White Lies. They didn't see much of a future for Herb and A&M and left the label and soon disbanded.

Hmmm. I'm wondering if Joe Campbell might be the "Joe" of The KenJoeLairs? My brother had a classmate (last name was Campbell) whose dad, upon learning I was a Herb Alpert fan, told me he was in a band that played with Herb Alpert and that did a single ("Little White Lies") but left A&M and broke up before recording their debut album for A&M which he said would've been the 2nd or 3rd A&M album... He also told me they did the male backing vocals on "Lonely Bull."

--Mr Bill

Back
Top Bottom