The Original TJB

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpertfan

I've read about the original TJB on this site, and the Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Fan Club Website, and am a bit confused about something. If the original members parted ways in 1969, then who played on the "Summertime" album? Was it recorded in '69 and just not released until 1971? I recall that the Reorganized TJB wasn't formed until '74. :|

alpertfan said:
I've read about the original TJB on this site, and the Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Fan Club Website, and am a bit confused about something. If the original members parted ways in 1969, then who played on the "Summertime" album? Was it recorded in '69 and just not released until 1971? I recall that the Reorganized TJB wasn't formed until '74. :|

The theory is that Summertime was a solo Alpert effort, but with the Brass sound. We don't really know who the personnel are, although we assume that some of the TJB participated. I don't recall Herb really talking about this period of his life/career, outside of the fact that he was trying to "find himself", and doing those nutty California things back then (like EST).

Capt. Bacardi

Not all the touring Brass members played on all the albums...Herb utilized whoever might be available at the time he needed to record. Frequently, Pete Jolly played piano instead of Lou Pagani on the recordings, and Tonni Kalash most likely didn't play at all, only on tour or TV. Tommy Tedesco played guitar on a lot of sessions, as did John Pisano. Bob Edmondson played on most sessions, too.

It's hard to say just exactly when the SUMMERTIME sessions actually took place...artists are famous for putting songs on albums that might not have been included on a previous album for various reasons, copyright issues being a primary cause...or, a song might just fit better on another album, or it could be remixed at a later time...

SUMMERTIME wasn't as much a solo album as WARM was...most of the tracks on WARM weren't done by Brass members. A very interesting question....since WARM came first.....

Dan

Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, I read that sometimes, neither Tonni Kalash nor Lou Pagani were utilized on some recordings. The reason I asked is because it's listed as a Herb Alpert/TJB album, and being that was released in 1971, and the original group is said to have disbanded in 1969, I was confused. But, I did forget that on some of these recordings, Herb Alpert just used who was ever available at the time. :o

about this period of his life/career, outside of the fact that he was trying to "find himself", and doing those nutty California things back then (like EST).

Capt. Bacardi

HEY!!!!!! :thumbsdn: I'm one of those Californians who has never been to a Grateful Dead concert, never have had a mudbath, or eaten Granola!

Grateful Dead: I never have understood the appeal of a stoned guitarist, fumbling about for notes. Mudbath: no thanks, too many bad memories of marching band practice, outside in the rain getting soaked in 48 degree weather. (Yes, it did happen, but only once--the teacher got reamed by so many parents...)

Granola? Last granola bar I looked at, I pulled it out of the box and the end of the packet wasn't wrapped properly. (Some granola had slopped into the seam.) Granola bar broke apart easily, and there at the crack was (ugh!) a little maggot squirmin' around.

So...why is it I like going to California?? :wink:

-= N =-
...shooting for a CA trip next spring or summer...

alpertfan said:
Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, I read that sometimes, neither Tonni Kalash nor Lou Pagani were utilized on some recordings. The reason I asked is because it's listed as a Herb Alpert/TJB album, and being that was released in 1971, and the original group is said to have disbanded in 1969, I was confused. But, I did forget that on some of these recordings, Herb Alpert just used who was ever available at the time. :o

Something I recall from a Herb Alpert interview (Sorry, I can't remember which one.) is the concept that 'Tijuana Brass' was a 'sound' to Herb Alpert, more than a group. The concept of the arrangement of the horns and other instruments is what Herb thought of as 'Tijuana Brass', while the other six guys we remember, Edmondson, Pisano, Ceroli, Senatore, Pagani, and Kalash were the physical personification of that sound, thus also taking on the name 'Tijuana Brass'. It didn't matter who was on the records -- it was the sound that mattered. The exception to this came with the re-formed T.J.B. in the early '70s. This group DID actually record and tour together as a tight-knit organization -- and it's name *was* different -- the 'T.J.B.' as opposed to the 'Tijuana Brass'.

Harry
...saying farewell to temps in the '80s for a while, online..

The first "New T.J.B." album You Smile seemed to be a mix of different sidemen (the sound of the tracks are uneven), but Coney Island definitely was the group that toured for both of those "reunion" albums. (I was at both of the concerts--personnel was essentially the same.)

-= N =-

cakeicer said:
HEY!!!!!! :thumbsdn: I'm one of those Californians who has never been to a Grateful Dead concert, never have had a mudbath, or eaten Granola!

Sorry, Shirl - I was just quoting Herb on that one. Although, when I was in Philly for our union convention the delgates from California kept making these nutty proposals that had absolutely had nothing to do with our jobs. Every time one of them was recognized by the floor, we would just shake our heads and say "Oh no, not again. This should be good." :D But I'm sure they were the minority. (God, I hope so. :D )

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom