The Other "TJB" Game Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numero Cinco

No one who frequents this site will forget Chuck Barris's use of "Whipped Cream," "Lollipops and Roses," and (less frequently) "Spanish Flea" on the ABC weekday afternoon game show, The Dating Game. I wonder, however, who else out there remembers at least two other network game shows, both broadcast in the mid-60s, that used TJB music cues:

Treasure Island (ABC, early afternoons): This was an exotic/strange show, set on two (man-made?) islands in the lagoon of an resort hotel somewhere, in which contestants competed against each to decipher riddles that, by the show's end, actually had them digging up a buried treasure chest. (No, I am not making this up.) The host of the show was John Bartholomew Tucker, a fellow whose distinctive voice was later used in probably hundreds of television commercials, notably for Owens-Corning insulation and featuring The Pink Panther. Anyway: On Treasure Island, the music you heard while players scurried around like mad against the clock and each other was a drop-needle cue from up-tempo TJB songs of the era. "Bittersweet Samba" and "Green Peppers" were two I recall.

Personality (NBC, late mornings): The host was Broadway and television actor Larry Blyden, who welcomed three new celebrity players each week. Its theme song was "Struttin' with Maria," always omitting the opening cymbals, drums, and bass. I remember getting hooked by that peppy little number, wondering what its name was and which album carried it. (My first TJB records were purchased out of production sequence.)

Finally, I can barely remember a syndicated game-show of the same era that used different TJB cues for the final, grand-prize question (modeled on "Final Jeopardy"). Just about the only thing I can recall about this show was a Herb arrangement, used only at the end: "A Walk in the Black Forest," for example.

I don't expect anyone to do anything with this trivial information—but if it doesn't belong on this forum, where in cyberspace would I put it?

And there's another one - this one in prime time. CBS had a summer replacement game show on Friday nights called THE FACE IS FAMILIAR. Jack Whitaker was the host, and the theme was TjB's "Brasilia" (with trombone!).

Harry
...adding more trivia to the thread, online...

......what about It's A Knockout in the UK which used Bean Bag as its theme and Young Scientist of the Year which used Magic Trumpet......?

Stephen

Peter Brown was the host of a car show called CAR CARE CENTRAL, which used BEYOND as its theme...I know it isn't from the TJB era, but it was Herb.

Also, NUMERO CINCO was used for a sketch on Saturday Night Live, about a fictional panel TV show.

Dan

Who was the group that performed the theme song from "The Newlywed Game"
At one time I thought it may have been from The TJB but now I doubt it.

The band "Trumpets Ole" recorded the theme from "Newleywed Game." I'm not positive this is the exact recording that was used on the TV show, but it sounds similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom