The Rarest Mixes - What would you like to see re-released?

Alan71

Harry’s very detailed and extensive Carpenters Complete Recording Resource highlights the fact that several mixes of Carpenters tracks are rare, appearing on the odd regional compilation or a long-deleted CD. Obviously it’s not going to happen, but if it did, what would you like to see on a new CD release of such mixes?

My preference for mixes completed during Karen’s lifetime are a starter for me. Things like:

Solitaire (single mix) - does appear on US Gold but that’s still a whole album for one track!

I Won’t Last A Day Without You (single mix at normal speed)

Santa Claus is Coming To Town (1974 single version)

Merry Christmas Darling (1970 single version)

There are two I’ve recently acquired, but would include on such a CD as well:

Please Mr Postman (single mix)

Those Good Old Dreams (LP mix)

There are lots of others - any compilation I look at in Harry’s Resource seems to give at least one rarity - but I’ll stop there.

(Apologies if this topic has been done before - I know forum newbies can be irritating, thinking they are re-inventing the wheel when actually they are asking something that’s been discussed previously...)

Harry’s very detailed and extensive Carpenters Complete Recording Resource highlights the fact that several mixes of Carpenters tracks are rare, appearing on the odd regional compilation or a long-deleted CD. Obviously it’s not going to happen, but if it did, what would you like to see on a new CD release of such mixes?

My preference for mixes completed during Karen’s lifetime are a starter for me. Things like:

Solitaire (single mix) - does appear on US Gold but that’s still a whole album for one track!

I Won’t Last A Day Without You (single mix at normal speed)

Santa Claus is Coming To Town (1974 single version)

Merry Christmas Darling (1970 single version)

There are two I’ve recently acquired, but would include on such a CD as well:

Please Mr Postman (single mix)

Those Good Old Dreams (LP mix)

There are lots of others - any compilation I look at in Harry’s Resource seems to give at least one rarity - but I’ll stop there.

(Apologies if this topic has been done before - I know forum newbies can be irritating, thinking they are re-inventing the wheel when actually they are asking something that’s been discussed previously...)
Not irritating at all! :)

This is almost akin to the debates that rage in Beatles fandom about odd mixes that have appeared in various places around the world. The now-catalog title of PAST MASTERS 1 & 2 was supposed to tidy-up the catalog with all of the missing pieces, singles, b-sides, etc., but fans of course have other candidates that didn't make the list, like the other stereo mix of "Strawberry Fields Forever", etc.

An almost-attempt at a solution for Carpenters was included in the last big box set called SWEET SIXTEEN, but I fear it missed the mark even more than the Beatles' PAST MASTERS.

I did see your page on Sweet Sixteen, Harry. Of the six I mentioned as examples, it takes care of Solitaire and Please Mr Postman, but as you say, it’s a mixed bag.

Back
Top Bottom