FOURSIDER
A&M SP-3525
FoursiderSandpipers.jpg

Side One:
1. A GIFT OF SONG (Patti Ingalis) 3:10
2. AND I LOVE HER (Lennon-McCartney) 2:19
3. THE WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND (M.Bergmann-A.Bergmann-M,-Legrand) 2:50
4. FREE TO CARRY ON (Jim Brady-Dale Bobbitt) 2:45
5. CHOTTO MATTE KUDASAI (NEVER SAY GOODBYE) (Loyal E.Garner-Jeanne Nakashima) 3:19

Side Two
6. AN OLD FASHIONED LOVE SONG (Paul Williams) 2:49
7. MISTY ROSES (Tim Hardin) 3:27
8. THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD (Lennon-McCartney) 3:48
9. A SONG OF JOY (HIMNO A LA ALEGRIA) (Orbe-W.De Los Rios-RossParker) 4:22

Side Three
10. GUANTANAMERA (Marti-Angulo-Seeger) 3:10
11. LOUIE, LOUIE (R.Barry-C.Ortega-N.De Caro) 2:45
12. KUM-BA-YA (Tommy Leonetti-William Justice) 2:41
13. CUANDO SALÍ DE CUBA (Luis Aguile-L.Kusik-E.Snyder) 2:39
14. LA MER (BEYOND THE SEA) (Trenet-Lawrence) 2:43

Side Four
15. COME SATURDAY MORNING (Fred Carlin-Dory Previn) 3:00
16. INCH WORM (Frank Loesser) 2:35
17. YESTERDAY (Lennon-McCartney) 2:21
18. CAST YOUR FATE TO THE WIND (V.Guaraldi-C.Werber) 1:47
19. SOFTLY AS I LEAVE YOU (Shaper-De Vita) 3:00
20. NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE (Clifton Davis) 2:48

Compiled and edited by
Claire Baren and Richard Burns
Art Direction by Roland Young
Concept and Design by Junie Osaki
Illustrations by Jim Gilbert

A&M Records, Inc.
P.O.Box 782, Beverly Hills, Calif. 90213
Printed in U.S.A.

The final album in the FOURSIDER series went to The Sandpipers. This one never officially appeared on CD, but as all of the tracks have surfaced on CD somewhere in the world, assuming you've got them all, is easy to assemble.

My copy is a white-label promo with the die-cut stamp on the cover.

Upcoming as the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of A&M continues, a look at the 25th Anniversary CLASSICS series - stay tuned!

Harry

Pretty much knows what songs to cover & from what albums, in order to deliver a good quality sampling, though the rather dross pattern from some of the Sandpipers' last works is also there...

To end this set w/ "Never Can Say Goodbye", as the last song on Side 4, gets me to end this set w/ "Chotto Matte Kudasai (Never Say Goodbye)"...--I end this set by playing Side 1, lsat, while I play Side 3 first, to kick off w/ the "official song" that started it all for the Sandpipers Saga, "Guantanamera"; just for the sake of to me, getting the songs in a reasonable order...

A fairly decent intro, but likely to some listeners to be "all one needs to hear", though Spanish Album (one of their first LP's I'd bought) can equally also be a good investment...

-- Dave

I owned this compilation as well, when it first came out. And I admit I probably skipped a lot of the tracks on both discs--even to this day, still not quite my cup of tea. For the LP era, it was a good overview of their A&M catalog.

No "Angelica" on this set? Quite an oversight IMHO. One of their better cuts.

It's also missing one of my favorites, "Let Go."

It's also missing one of my favorites, "Let Go."

It certainly could have used a few more upbeat tracks, I agree.

I don't know what it is about the song, but I have always liked "Misty Roses," from the first time I heard it. Foursider was where I first played it, although it was probably included in the Greatest Hits LP (which wasn't mine, so I rarely played it). I've also liked the arrangement for "La Mer," a different take on how Bobby Darin performed it.

I also recall how disappointed I was when I heard "La Bamba." I knew it as a very upbeat song, and bought the Guantanamera album when I was young since I recognized the song title, yet it was totally different and actually sleep inducing. It is an instant skip for me.

The FOURSIDER series was similar to Columbia's WORLD OF, RCA's THIS IS and UA's SUPERPAK series, in that you got 2 Lp's worth of material, usually some (but by no means all) hits, plenty of Lp cuts. Representative of the acts, of course, but not meant to be *the* compilation of their work. I got the impression such comps were just cobbled together, just someone's sampling of an act's work, nothing more. Okay listen for what they are, but at the same time, not of much use to a diehard fan (who already has the material on its original Lp's/singles), and not complete enough for the casual listener.

:ed:

Back
Top Bottom