Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
The Sandpipers
MISTY ROSES

A&M SP-4135

sp4135.jpg

Also issued as mono LP-135, and as part of a two-fer on CD from Collectors Choice (CCM-708).

Tracks:

Side One
1. Cuando Salí De Cuba* (Aguile-Kusik-Snyder) 2:39
2. And I Love Her (Lennon-McCartney) 2:19
3. Fly Me To The Moon (Bart Howard) 1:51
4. Strange Song (Chip Taylor) 2:43
5. The Honeywind Blows (Hellerman-Minkoff) 2:30

Side Two
1. Misty Roses* (Tim Hardin) 3:27
2. Today (Randy Sparks) 2:25
3. I Believed It All (M.& A. Bergman-Al Ham) 2:49
4. Daydream (John Sebastian) 2:15
5. Wooden Heart (F.Wise-B.Weisman-K.Twarney-B.Kaempfert) 2:11

Producer: Tommy LiPuma
Arranger: Perry Botkin, Jr.
*Arranged by: Nick De Caro
Engineers: Henry Lewy, Bruce Botnick
Album Design by Corporate Head
Art Direction: Tom Wilkes
Photography by Guy Webster
Back Cover Photograph by Peter Whorf

Does the album cover actually list Al Hirt as the writer of "I Believed It All"? I looked it up, and the music was written by Al Ham - I didn't think Al Hirt ever wrote with the Bergmans......

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
Does the album cover actually list Al Hirt as the writer of "I Believed It All"? I looked it up, and the music was written by Al Ham - I didn't think Al Hirt ever wrote with the Bergmans......

I entered that info from the Collectors Choice CD. It does indeed say Al Hirt, but if it really is Al Ham, then we should change that. Any other input on that?

Harry

I'll go with the ASCAP listing (as I'm thinking that's where A&MGuy looked it up):

Writers:
BERGMAN ALAN
BERGMAN MARILYN
HAM ALBERT W

All Music Guide shows "Bergman, Bergman, Hirt"; I'm guessing they took it from the same CD, rather than consult an original album cover.

The original A&M label says "Al Ham" so that's good enough for me. I've changed the above to correct the information.

Harry

"The Honeywind Blows" is my pick for best song and what should'a been available on the 7"...

Side 1 flows pretty good; "Cuando Sali De Cuba" is a merry genesis for this offering especially followed by "Y La Qiero (And I Love Her", especially the way both songs are done in Spanish (with the title of the latter tune sung in English in the last refrain)... "Fly Me To The Moon" is also a nifty number, and also done in Español (Man, how long before these guys sing a song in English?)... And finally sining in Inglés on Chip Taylor's "Strange Song", turning what would be a near Country song (written by Jon Voight's brother) into their own brand of Pop Music showmanship... "...Honeywind..." of course closes the first side in a hauntingly sad and melancholy, but lilting, uplifting way...

Side 2 gets rather draggy, although starting off with the promising cocktail lounge-like trance of Tim Hardin's "Misty Roses", spun in with a spiraling electric piano intro and some soft trumpet blows, and carrying Hardin's bluesy demeanor at a slightly faster tempo (much like how The 5th Dimension did this on their debut)...

Randy Sparks' "Today" and "I Believed It All" (by Al Ham, along with The Bergman's Alan & Marilyn) seem to be ordinary Pop artist songs-the-day in the typical cover-versions-of-the-moment but the group sounds fairly committed to them enough that they can pull these off fairly and distinctively well... The Lovin' Spoonful's "Daydream" is augmented by a dixieland horn section and certainly what the original carried a potential for... While the big band horn fanfare is retained for "Wooden Heart" a song sung in German, a rare language for the group and a fairly wobbly way to end this album, although given the now-lackluster quality of these songs which over the course of 40-some years have not well-aged then this is what even something novel back then (done also in the '60's by Elvis Presley and in the '70's by Bobby Vinton, also "losing" the listener on the album he put it on, which was cased with "Beer Barrel Polka" and "Polka Pose" on a Side 2 of the album it was on) to what they would be extremely prone...

The songs altogether show that here from on out, this is what The Sandpipers would base the remainder of career on... Delivering a very folkish Lettermen-styled Pop, and the ebb and flow of the songs chosen, would still offer much more to the devoted fan though mainly capturing passing interest of the casual listener...

Dave

SP435a.jpg

A&M SP 435 Side 1 Stereo Jukebox Little LP

SP435b.jpg

A&M SP 435 Side 2 Stereo Jukebox Little LP

AM8526.jpg

A&M 8526 Cuando Sali De Cuba b/w Guantanamera 45 single
Forget Me Nots re-issue

Harry said:
The original A&M label says "Al Ham" ...

Aaah, from the same folks who brought you "Herb Albert" on the spine of the TJB's greatest hits. :D (Hey, I couldn't resist!)

I keep thinking of Bill Ham, who produced ZZ Top...

And I can't help but think of Pete Ham of Badfinger (who unfortunately committed suicide; a self-inflicted hanging) in 1975...

I think there is also a recording engineer in Muscle Shoals, AL whose last name is also Ham (and can't seem to think of or find his first name)... --Unless of course I'm thinking of Larry Hamby...

Dave

Back
Top Bottom