The Sandpipers "Softly" cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
I was looking at The Sandpipers "Softly" cover. I thought that it look like actress Mena Suvari. :shock: Mena was born on February 9, 1979 in Newport, Rhode Island. She was in the first 2 "American Pie" movies, "American Beauty" & "American Virgin". Her next movie is "Beauty Shop" with singer Queen Latifah. There is a fan website called www.menasuvarifan.com which has information. Mena is married to a man 19 years older. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

That girl on the Sandpipers' Softly album-cover, also appears on the cover of The Wonder Of You and I think I even saw her on Misty Roses cover, as well... Could she also have been on the cover of their second album, Sandpipers, too?

I don't even know what she's standing in front of, on Softly, either... I'm sure that she's not, actress Mena Suvari (especially if she was born 10-years later :laugh: ), but ain't she a beauty?! :winkgrin:

Dave

sp4135.jpg
sp4147.jpg
sp4180.jpg

I see similarities, but do not think these three are the same lady. The first two were photographed by Guy Webster; the third one was taken by Tom Wilkes, though that fact proves nothing. It would be great if some of these cover photographers would post here and tell us some of the stories there must be about some of these A&M covers.

Harry

We do know that it's Dolores Erickson on the cover of "Guantanamera", but these others are definitely not her.

I always wondered how many people bought Sandpipers albums and were surprised they didn't have a female lead singer.

Buyers today would likely be surprised at that. But back then it was fairly common for groups not readily recognized (as, say, the Beatles would be) to put a pretty woman on the cover because that, back then, was what supposedly sold records. Look at any of the "101 (place any musical instrument here)" or "Living (place any musical instrument here)" and it's girls galore!

--Mr Bill

Mike Blakesley said:
I always wondered how many people bought Sandpipers albums and were surprised they didn't have a female lead singer.

A bunch of Sandpipers tracks have an unnamed, uncredited female singer, much like the uncredited high-pitched "ah-ahh" vocals on "The Lonely Bull."

Harry

For the Sandpipers, it was Girls, Girls, Girls... Covers that "sold LP's", ('cept for ...Saturday Morning) background singers...and usually what the SONGS were about...

Nice what made an interesting, but "brief" career...

Dave

Phillie Harry said:
A bunch of Sandpipers tracks have an unnamed, uncredited female singer, much like the uncredited high-pitched "ah-ahh" vocals on "The Lonely Bull."

I recall reading her name somewhere, either on one of the LP liner notes (or was it the Greatest Hits liner notes?) where she was described as the "fourth Sandpiper" (akin to Julius Wechter being the "8th Tijuana"). Of course, it could've been on a website somewhere, too.

The background vocals on "The Lonely Bull" were (according to one of the KenJoLairs) the KenJoLairs themselves, Herb, Jerry, Sol Lake and other muwsicians from the session. And (again according to one of the KenJoLairs) the female voice was either Mrs Alpert or Mrs Moss, though I would not be surprised if this were not true...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom