🎵 AotW Classics The Sandpipers SOFTLY SP-4147

What is your favorite track on this album?

• Softly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Find A Reason To Believe

• Back On The Street Again

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Love Is Blue (L’Amour Est Bleu)

• Cancion De Amor (Wanderlove)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Quando M'innamoro

• Jenifer Juniper

• All My Loving

• Ojos De España (Spanish Eyes)

• To Put Up With You

• Suzanne

• Gloria Patri (Gregorian Psalm Tone III)

• Total voters

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
The Sandpipers
SOFTLY

A&M SP-4147

sp4147.jpg

Tracks:

Side One
1. Softly (Gordon Lightfoot) 2:30*
2. Find A Reason To Believe (Tim Hardin) 2:04
3. Back On The Street Again (Steve Gillette) 1:55
4. Love Is Blue (L’Amour Est Bleu) (Blackburn-Cour-Popp) 1:55
5. Cancion De Amor (Wanderlove) (Mason Williams-C.Mapel) 3:45
6. Quando M'innamoro (Livraghi-Pace-Panzeri) 3:05*

Side Two
1. Jenifer Juniper (Donovan Leitch) 2:40
2. All My Loving (Lennon-McCartney) 2:25
3. Ojos De España (Spanish Eyes) (Singleton-Snyder-Kaempfert) 3:38
4. To Put Up With You (Williams-Nichols) 2:45
5. Suzanne (Leonard Cohen) 4:35
6. Gloria Patri (Gregorian Psalm Tone III) 0:21
* Arranged by Nick DeCaro

PRODUCED BY: TOMMY LiPUMA / Arranged by: Bob
Thompson / Recording Engineer: Henry Lewy / Mix-
ing Engineer: Dick Bogert / Album Design: By Cor-
porate Head / Art Director: Tom Wilkes / Photog-
raphy
: By Guy Webster / This Album is Also Available
on Stereo Tapes / Write for a Free 4 Color A&M
Record Catalogue A&M Records, 1416 N. LaBrea,
Hollywood, California 90028

The perennial Sandpipers singing machine starts again with the likes of contemporary writers; Gordon Lightfoot, Tim Hardin, Paul Williams-Roger Nichols, Donovan, Leonard Cohen, Lennon & McCartney and even Mason Williams get an obsequious interpretation by A&M's trio of troubadours, giving us a couple tunes in Spanish, ("Cancion De Amor (Wanderlove) " and even one in French, ("Love Is Blue (L’Amour Est Bleu)") and one in Italian, ("Quando M'innamoro (A Man Without Love)") and ending the album with a bittersweet Gregorian Chant, ("Gloria Patri (Gregorian Psalm Tone III)") in a-capella, which easily fits their vernacular, as easily as the pop/rock stuff, as well...

And one which should've been included in the Collectors Choice CD reissue program, with the four other titles, of their original seven albums, so far...

The quintessential Leonard Cohen narrative, "Suzanne" is easily the best pick here, as is the haunting title track, and the dark and moody, "To Put Up With You"...

Dave

Dave said:
The perennial Sandpipers singing machine starts again with the likes of contemporary writers; Gordon Lightfoot, Tim Hardin, Paul Williams-Roger Nichols, Donovan, Leonard Cohen, Lennon & McCartney and even Mason Williams get an obsequious interpretation by A&M's trio of troubadours, giving us a couple tunes in Spanish, ("Cancion De Amor (Wanderlove) " and even one in French, ("Love Is Blue (L’Amour Est Bleu)") and one in Italian, ("Quando M'innamoro (A Man Without Love)") and ending the album with a bittersweet Gregorian Chant, ("Gloria Patri (Gregorian Psalm Tone III)") in a-capella, which easily fits their vernacular, as easily as the pop/rock stuff, as well...

And one which should've been included in the Collectors Choice CD reissue program, with the four other titles, of their original seven albums, so far...

The quintessential Leonard Cohen narrative, "Suzanne" is easily the best pick here, as is the haunting title track, and the dark and moody, "To Put Up With You"...

Dave

Main Entry: ob·se·qui·ous
Pronunciation: \əb-ˈsē-kwē-əs, äb-\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, compliant, from Latin obsequiosus, from obsequium compliance, from obsequi to comply, from ob- toward + sequi to follow — more at ob-, sue
Date: 15th century
: marked by or exhibiting a fawning attentiveness

Dave said:

Dave

Main Entry: quint-es-sent-ial
Function: adjective
Definition: Five times more necessary than just being 'essential.'

:laugh:

--Mr Bill
wishing dave weren't so obsequious (or vapid).

[shouting]WAKE UP JO![/shouting] :)

SOFTLY is probably my favorite Sandpipers album. The exquisite Nichols-Williams track "To Put Up With You" is a favorite. I like "Wanderlove" too, but Claudine's version is tops in my book.

This one plays well, as an album. It's not that there are any killer tracks, but all of them are at least "pretty good," and they fit together as a cohesive whole.

Harry

Harry,

I think JO's "zzzz" comment was not aimed so much a the AOTW as it was at my joke on Winer's use of multi-syllibic words and Mike H's posting of the daffy-nition of one (i.e. Mike's ob·SE·qui·ous and my QUINT-e-sen-tial)....

But I may be wrong (I certainly have been in the past)

I have to agree, though, that this one is probably the best of their A&M canon.

--Mr. Bill

Regardless - JO STILL needed a wake-up nudge!

Harry

Harry said:
Regardless - JO STILL needed a wake-up nudge!

Harry

Really... I think he needs to go back to sleep, for a few hundred years!

Anyone that good at criticizing music needs a nap!

Yep! that's right!

Mike

That's why I enjoy JO's insightful comments whether I agree or not. It's just a blastr discussing music here at A&M COrner and the diversity of opinion is what keeps it interesting. How dull would it be if we werre all the same in our likes and dislikes?

Now excuse me while I go back to my listening enjoyment of the TJB's "Talk To The Animals" and "Freight Train Joe" :laugh:

--Mr. Bill

Main Entry: Sleep
Functions: Verb, Noun
Obsequiously and Quintessentially Exemplified...Softly...for a Millennium or Two:

• Now it's time to say good night
    Good night sleep tight;
    Now the sun turns out his light
    Good night sleep tight.
    Dream sweet dreams for me --
    Dream sweet dreams for you.

Close your eyes and I'll close mine
    Good night sleep tight;
    Now the moon begins to shine
    Good night sleep tight.

Close your eyes and I'll close mine
    Good night sleep tight;
    Now the sun turns out his light
    Good night sleep tight.

Good night, good night everybody...
    Everybody everywhere...
    Good night.

Yep! That's right, Jackson!

Well, if I could play this and my other Sandpipers albums as "lullaby music", fine...

Otherwise I am going to have to learn how that one goes and go back, then, to my "pre-rock/-pop/-jazz/-ez list'nin' years" and learn to sing it...

Wonder if there's a way I could hear how that one goes...

Dave
baby.gif
:shh:

Dave, those lyrics are from Good Night -- the John Lennon tune released on the Beatles "White Album" ['68]. Had such a lullaby been available at the time, it would've no doubt worked well for the group.

(Of course even the sweetest of lullabies and the longest of naps won't help those who fail to understand a non-vowel response joke -- even when aimed squarely, and contextually true, at its previous entries. Impossible as it is to be all things to all people, at least a few of our more perceptive cornerites "got it".)

^ Yeah, sorry I woke him up...

(Note the use of the carat [^], the character above the 6 on most keyboards. On internet forums like this, it's designed to point upward, indicating a quick response to the above post without necessitating the more complex quoting function.)

Harry

JO said:
...Dave, those lyrics are from Good Night -- the John Lennon tune released on the Beatles "White Album" ['68]...

Oh, OK... Just a Beatles tune I don't think I've heard before...

Well, gonna have to try to hear it, then; maybe obtain it as well...

Hmmmm..., hmmmm..., hmmmm...
baby.gif
:whistle:

Dave :shh: :goofygrin:

Back
Top Bottom