The Singles 1969-1973 Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD) New Release

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

New Carpenters CD on the Horizon....
Release date June 20, 2018

I figured this deserves it's own thread, although it appears to be a re-issue of the original DSD from 2014. I don't know much about MQA x UHQCD but it appears Japan is releasing a whole library of different artists on this format CD and Carpenters will get a release. Here are some links and I hope we can get some clarification on this format. It's clearly not the SHM CD or the SACD DSD but a new format. Will a blu ray player decode this new format or does it require new equipment? What intrigues me is it says this release comes with Commentary not sure if that means audio on the CD from Richard or a booklet printed inside.

Product Info CD Japan:
"Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2014 (by Richard Carpenter & Bernie Grundman), using US original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players). Comes with lyrics and a description. Green color label coating. Comes in a slim case packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD."

The Singles 1969 - 1973 [Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD)] [Limited Release] Carpenters CD Album

Universal's website for this new release
シングルス1969~1973【CD】【MQA/UHQCD】 | カーペンターズ | UNIVERSAL MUSIC STORE

Detailed info from Universal about this new format
ハイレゾCD 名盤シリーズ - 洋楽 | International Music

Last edited:
MQA stands for "Master Quality Authenticated" and according to the article I have linked below, it's a format designed to allow higher-quality streaming audio. So, at first glance anyway, it wouldn't appear to have any improvement over what CD formats that have come before. Short version, to me it looks like just another way to re-release this popular album and ca$h in. Check out the article and see what you all think.

MQA audio: What is it? How can you get it?

I'm assuming that a Blu-Ray player will be able to play the discs, but it would probably be at CD level's, unless you have one that is equipped with the technology.

Save your money and avoid this release, unless you enjoy collecting oddball formats! :laugh: You will need a new player with a MQA decoder in order to hear the high-resolution sound. Hardly any of these players exist at present, and the few that do are expensive. I mean insanely expensive. The disc will play back on a regular CD player, but will sound worse than a standard redbook CD (without the MQA decoder, there is high frequency noise present). The worst thing about MQA, is that it has DRM. Oh, and unlike SACD, MQA is not a lossless format, so even with the proper decoder, it won't sound as good as SACD.

Master Quality Authenticated - Wikipedia

Back in 2004, I bought a SACD player, in order to play the Carpenters surround SACD. This was supposed to be the format of the future. Besides that Carpenters disc, I bought only two more albums on SACD (both expensive imports), and then the format all but disappeared (at least for mainstream music). I vowed after that, that I would wait a few years before ever buying into a new format. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

Last edited:
I noticed the 2 links I posted from Universal don't work on my phone but they convert from Japanese to English on my desktop in case anyone was having trouble.

I was wondering would they have to get Richard's approval to use the 2014 DSD original master for this new release or would Universal already own rights to use the original master how they wish?

Last edited:
Call me a cynic, but what I find strange about this and other releases like HDCD and SHM releases is just how much more each subsequent new fad can improve on the last. There must be a limit to how perfect the technology can make the music sound on CD and surely that limit was reached a while ago? Aren’t these all just a bit of a waste of time and money?

Call me a cynic, but what I find strange about this and other releases like HDCD and SHM releases is just how much more each subsequent new fad can improve on the last. There must be a limit to how perfect the technology can make the music sound on CD and surely that limit was reached a while ago? Aren’t these all just a bit of a waste of time and money?

I agree and another side to look at and I don`t know, but would there be a limit to what you can actually notice by ear.
another thing I`ve always argued as well with music, in any format, is that the music is only as good as the equipment playing it! I`m old school when it comes to hi-fi systems and I only use separates, which includes a 10 band each channel, spectrum analyser and graphic equaliser, it`s amazing the difference to the sound you can make playing about with that.
I think this is just another way to take your money and as pointed out, unless you like just buying the stuff to have the different formats as part of a collection, I don`t see the point :)

Excellent video Murray....I just watched it. It sounds like it's an expensive format in getting the right equipment to decipher the signal. I could really identify with this guy when he went for the cheapest option equipment to help decode this MQA only to find in the small print that it would not decipher the MQA signal through your CD player with your hi fi stereo system, it would only work through a PC with correct software....with everything you gotta pay to play.

How funny about the glitch with that MQA CD that was jumping signal so he could hear the difference between the 2 sounds. Ha...thanks for the link, helps to understand it better.

interesting video and I guess that answers my question as to whether there is enough difference in sound quality that`s not only noticeable, but warrants the cost of extra equipment.
there`s clearly a difference in the sound, but I think unless your made of money and would buy this stuff just to say you own it, or to show off etc, I don`t think these costs justify it and besides, we all know how fast technology changes and my guess is, give it another few years and this stuff will be 10 years out of date or fade away like SACD did. For me, cd quality sound is good enough as it is!

Back
Top Bottom