The Singles 1969-1973 Reissue Booklet Misprint?

bennyflint

Hi Folks,
I have a copy of "The Carpenters - The Singles 1969-1973". This one: https://www.discogs.com/Carpenters-The-Singles-1969-1973/release/11172394

It has a misprinted booklet insert, and I am wondering whether this is common. I haven't been able to find a reference to it online so far.

Specifically, Sing, Yesterday Once More, and Top of the World have jibberish song title subheadings (just above the lyrics): "NDI B", "TaNOaMAaT J 1 aa H Ma", and "OJ K J A OCa RJ MGA" respectively. And the font spacing and sizing are all screwy.

I would attach a photo, but it doesn't look like the forum likes that. Anything you know about the misprint would be helpful.
-Ben

This is the clear vinyl version that sold at Target, right? Yes, we've seen that misprint. I believe it's in all of them. God only knows what Universal is doing with these. The circled-in-red portion should be the song titles.

SinglesClearVinylBookletMisprint.jpg

Yep, that's the booklet. But mine wasn't with the Target clear vinyl. It's the black remastered, reissued 180g. Thanks for the info.

This is the clear vinyl version that sold at Target, right? Yes, we've seen that misprint. I believe it's in all of them. God only knows what Universal is doing with these. The circled-in-red portion should be the song titles.

SinglesClearVinylBookletMisprint.jpg
Oy vey... It looks like an encoding issue. It concerns me pretty deeply when official releases are executed, seemingly without quality control checks...

For the record, someone gave us the idea that the misprint is actually the Thai language. I couldn't say one way or another, but did post this back when the album was new from Target:

For the record, someone gave us the idea that the misprint is actually the Thai language. I couldn't say one way or another, but did post this back when the album was new from Target:

To test that theory, I tried running those unusual song titles through Google Translate, making sure to set the input language to Thai, and output language to English. Google failed to translate any of the words. My theory is that it's a a rare dialect of gibberish.

I suspect what happened was that either the language was encoded to Thai (and then upon the printer read the file, it read gibberish), or the typeface was set to maybe a Thai typeface that wasn't encoded in Unicode, so again, when the printer went to read it, the printer read gibberish.

You'd think it would be simple to find Times New Roman and just encode the file in Unicode...

There are actually some examples I've seen of, say, governmental reports from India, which are bilingual in Hindi and English (since those are the two official languages nationwide of India), and the English side has been jumbled because of weird font encoding issues.

For all of you out there who work with PDFs, make sure that your word processor exports to PDF/A to ensure no font encoding issues!

Sincerely,
An archivist-in-training

And here I thought that Gibberish was the national language of Gibraltar! :laugh:

I lived in Gibraltar for ten years and they speak a hybrid of English and Spanish, regularly switching mid sentence between the two - and back again. So I suppose to the untrained ear it could sound like gibberish. Sorry...Gibberish :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom