The Singles 1969-1973 SACD and SHM (New Releases)

There is no evidence to suggest that the new SINGLES 69-73 SHM-SACD will be a 5.1 surround mix. In fact, I'd be totally surprised if it were. I believe this is going to be a stereo, two-channel release utilizing the high-resolution SACD format, with the added SHM material that it's pressed with.

Since SACDs do not play in standard players, that's the reason for the regular SHM-CDs being released at the same time (one regular, one platinum based). So if you've got an SACD player, then you'll get the SINGLES album in high resolution audio, but with just two channels. The other releases will just be a redbook CD pressed on SHM materials and/or platinum.

I think a lot of fans have been thinking of this SACD to be equivalent to the prior Carpenters SACD which was a "hybrid" disc with three layers of audio, the SACD surround mix, the SACD two-channel mix, and the two-channel layer for regular CDs. That's not the case with this new one - at least that's the way I see it from what's available to read on the web.

Harry

I think your probably right, Harry. I also think that is why the SACD Carpenters 69-81 is so sought after and prices have just sky rocketed, you would think with all the delays of the Singles 69-73 that it would be a true 5.1 SACD.

...whose happy I got my SACD when it was first released....

There is no evidence to suggest that the new SINGLES 69-73 SHM-SACD will be a 5.1 surround mix. In fact, I'd be totally surprised if it were. I believe this is going to be a stereo, two-channel release utilizing the high-resolution SACD format, with the added SHM material that it's pressed with.

Since SACDs do not play in standard players, that's the reason for the regular SHM-CDs being released at the same time (one regular, one platinum based). So if you've got an SACD player, then you'll get the SINGLES album in high resolution audio, but with just two channels. The other releases will just be a redbook CD pressed on SHM materials and/or platinum.

I think a lot of fans have been thinking of this SACD to be equivalent to the prior Carpenters SACD which was a "hybrid" disc with three layers of audio, the SACD surround mix, the SACD two-channel mix, and the two-channel layer for regular CDs. That's not the case with this new one - at least that's the way I see it from what's available to read on the web.

Harry

Thank you Harry! I appreciate your explanation as that's exactly how I was thinking and wondered if it was worth getting if I just spent $121 on the hybrid SACD (that I loooooove by the way). Sounds great on my SACD player. Aaaaaaah. :D

I've got a pair of Olivia Newton-John albums on SACD from Japan (Come On Over and Physical), and they're both just high-resolution versions of the original stereo albums, so I've been assuming the new SACD of The Singles: 1969-1973 would be the same.

I just got an email from CDJapan that my 2 discs have shipped for Singles 69-73...I can't believe it, no more delays!!!

3-6 days and new release will be here, can't wait to open these up!!

Got the same CdJapan release notification. Suddenly it's Yesterday Once More.
Just like before,

Jeff

Same email here. I'm glad it's finally shipping -- I've been hesitant about pre-ordering the SACD version of The Singles: 1974-1978, but now I'll be able to see if it'll be worth the expense.

I also think CDJapan gives you points every time you order so you can use those points towards cost for the Singles 74-78 for future purchase. It also appears the upcoming Singles 74-78 will also be available in SHM-SACD and SHM-CD purchases, however I don't see the Platinum version. If nothing else, I'm going to pre-order the SHM-CD version even though I already have the original one.

Amazon Japan posting my SACD is somewhere between here and Osaka. Cool. Waitin on pins-n-needles.

Jeff

Mine shipped the day before yesterday from CDJapan. Very excited to see how this sounds in comparison to the original release and also the 1998 remaster. I really don't think the SACD will be in 5.1 surround sound myself, so I just went with the platinum CD.

Is anyone here experiencing that old familiar tedium and anticipation of a "new" CarpenterS release? This waiting on AmazonJP and CDJapan to deliver here shortly is at once tedious and again thrilling replete with a bounce in me step and a wiggle in me walk. My first view of Close To You lp at Xmas '70. Early '71 came Ticket. I remember the '71 CarpenterS lp coming from Fred Meyer at the Gateway shopping center. '72 A Song For You same shopping center only purchased from a now defunct record store. '73 Now & Then at Fred Meyer (Kroger stores east of the Mississippi) The Singles 69-73 DJ's Sound City Eastport Plaza. '75 with Horizon at Town Centre Records SW Portland. '76 Hush from a Fred Meyer. '77 Passage DJ's Sound City. Incidentally it was here at DJ's that I purchased all 15 initial stock of the Occupants 45 pic sleeve. Hence catapulting this new release to #1 sales spot for that location. I beamed with pride at my endless ability to contribute to Richard's retirement. Yeah, I guess you could insert 'giver' here for idiot...juz cuz it sounds nicer. '78 and Christmas Portrait Al's Records Oak Grove Or. '79? Oh ya that was "shelved at Karen's behest". Funny how things slip your mind. In 1981 and Made In America I purchased at none other than the friendly TOWER RECORDS of Fresno, Ca. I was living at the gates of Yosemite National Park at the time and whizzed down the mountain to collect my prize. Back on the mtn a small record shop had a 2'x 3' MIA promo poster that they placed squarely in my hands. '83 and Voice Of The Heart bought In Milwaukie Oregon at Jafco. Every lp, ceptin Close To You...I was 7 y/o and Ticket 8y/o I met on release day. I recall the day or two prior to release thinking just where on I-5 NB the truck carrying the NW bound lp's was and counted miles. Release day counting minutes til shop opening. Sometimes beating the freight unpacking. Heading home was torture. The clock ticked backwards. Wait til I launch the where and whens of single releases. Had I not had this experience of wonder, joy, satisfaction and thirst for vocal perfection I sincerely doubt I'd be revisiting memories here and now. Saved my bacon she did.

Back to The Singles 69-73 release of 2014. Did anyone else do a double take at the prelude/opening to side one? I was all OMG what? What? Did you hear that? That brief beautiful medley set the pace for a classic. I'm happy it is seeing a re-release with honors because it is a gem where greatest hits packages are concerned. There's a lot of recoding post 69-73 and compilations but I think this suffices to say it all really. Especially as introductory.

Almost forgot, when Karen Un-behested her solo effort I purchased that at the Portland Tower Records in '96. Also, the RC solo effort TIME at Tower Records on release day as Karen did not behest this.

Jeff

Did anyone else do a double take at the prelude/opening to side one? I was all OMG what? What? Did you hear that? That brief beautiful medley set the pace for a classic. I'm happy it is seeing a re-release with honors because it is a gem where greatest hits packages are concerned. There's a lot of recoding post 69-73 and compilations but I think this suffices to say it all really. Especially as introductory.

What always annoys me about the Singles 69-73 album is that on every release (remaster included), it segues from that beautiful overture with Karen's new intro vocal, into the original mix of 'We've Only Just Begun'. The only place I've ever heard it segue into the remix of 'Begun' is on the Greatest Hits DVD. I wish Richard would put it out with the remix on CD, because I don't like the original mix of 'Begun' at all. The piano is dull, the mix is flat and drab-sounding, Karen's vocal isn't as present as it should be and the drums are too frenetic at times. The remix was so much better with the re-recorded piano flourishes and enhanced orchestration.

Last edited:
Jeff, you are awesome! :)

Albums and history from me:

-Close to You: Christmas, 1970 gift
-Ticket To Ride: 10th birthday gift from my friend, Debbie, July, 1972.
-Carpenters, A Song For You: 10th birthday gift from my brother (ASFY had come out a week prior, and I'd already purchased 'It's Going To Take Some Time'), July, 1972
-Now and Then: Early birthday gift from the same brother, June, 1973
-Singles: Bought it at Green Cross Drugstore in Overland Park, KS., November, 1973
-Horizon: Bought it at Musicland, Overland Park, KS., June, 1975
-A Kind Of Hush: Skaggs Drugstore, Overland Park, KS., June, 1976
-Passage: Record Bar, Overland Park, KS. (10/1/77)
-Christmas Portrait: Record Bar, Overland Park, KS. (release date), October, 1978
-Made In America: Tiger's Records (purchased BEFORE release date....owner of store was a big Mob dude and sold hot records for dirt cheap prices). He was found in a car trunk a few years later. Yikes. Early June, 1981.
-Voice of The Heart: University of Kansas, KIEF'S Records, release date, October, 1983
-An Old-Fashioned Christmas, Music Exchange, October, 1984
-Yesterday Once More, University of Kansas, Love Garden Records, March, 1985
-TIME, Streetside Records, Overland Park, KS., on release date.
-Scott Grimes (produced by Richard), release date, 1989 (I think)
-Lovelines: Sound Warehouse, Overland Park, KS., release date 10/31/89.
-Karen Carpenter: Streetside Records, Overland Park, KS., release date 10/8/96
-From The Top, Streetside Records, Overland Park, KS. October, 1991 (release date)
-Love Songs: Tower Records, Chicago, IL. Release date, 1997.
-As Time Goes By: Tower Records, Chicago, IL. Release date, 2001 (Japan release)

Last edited:
I've just quickly scanned this thread, so I may have missed comments on whether this release will contain a surround (5.1) mix.

Have any Japanese fans posted or commented on this aspect of the release?

OMG just got a knock knock! Opened to reveal a gorgeous reproduction of original artwork complete with raised cover logo and get this..two replicated stamps from cover. One is feat TOTW the other contains the hits. Just like '73! Oh yeah this is my sacd from amazonjp. The packaging is sooo cool. Just you guys wait n see. Meticulous repro. Says remastered February 18 2014 with RC and Bernie G. In DSD. Can't wait for listen later. Snatched prize headed to car. Where it doesn't play but worth shot. When I get home gonna fire up the ol sacd player. Also tracking the platinum shm leads to SanFrancisco customs.

Will get back after Karen and share yet another moment.

Jeff

I just received my shipment as well -- both the SACD and the platinum SHM-CD. Interestingly, both releases are housed inside boxes. The front of the box flips open to reveal the mini-LP sleeve inside. There's a place on the inside of the lid that appears to be intended to house the CD, but the CD itself is in a protective sleeve in the bottom of the box. As Jeff said, there are two little round gold "stickers" inside the package as well, replicating what would have been on the shrinkwrap.

Inside the mini-LP sleeve is a reproduction of the original book that came with the LP, along with a much more extensive booklet printed in Japanese.

As for the sound, I played the SACD in my SACD player, and compared it to the "Remastered Classics" edition of the same album. It does sound very nice, and my overall impression is that it sounds more "natural" than the previous mastering. The EQ seems a little flatter -- not as much bass boost (more true to the original LP) -- on the SACD, and it's not mastered as loudly. It is the original stereo LP mix only; there is no 5.1 mix.

Here are some picture I took a few minutes ago:

IMG_0184.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg
IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg

David

Thanks for the pictures David, and the report Jeff. Something from Japan would have arrived today but I wasn't at my house to sign for it, so I got the dreaded orange card to fill out. That means it won't show up now til Friday at the earliest. But thanks to David, I can at least look at it. I too ordered the SACD and the Platinum.

What's maddening is that on our way home, we spotted the mailman heading out the last part of our development. Had I known, I would've flagged him down!

Harry

Yippee boxes from Japan. I am admiring the details....this is exciting...mini booklet is incredible and original stickers to boot, embossed logo on cover of mini LP inside but not on the SACD cover box.

The SHM-SACD is just as David posted in a box. I have yet another SACD that I can't even play, imagine that....I must really be a Carpenters fan, huh? one day I will get correct player and it will be new all over again.

I also got the SHM-CD housed in a protective clear sleeve, just the album cover in the normal mini LP jacket, the actual discs on the SHM-SACD and SHM-CD are mint green colored with very very very small Carpenters title printed need to look closely to find it on outer edge.
The inner booklet and lyric booklet appear to be the same in each set except for the different catalog #.
It's hard to believe this was just mastered 2 months ago, no wonder why it kept getting delayed.

I also got the SHM-CD housed in a protective clear sleeve, just the album cover in the normal mini LP jacket...

That's interesting -- the SHM-CD didn't come in a box? I didn't get the regular SHM-CD; I only ordered the platinum one, and it came in a box that is almost identical to the SACD. Same cover, same interior, just some minor differences where the SACD logo and "Platinum" logo are.

David

That's interesting -- the SHM-CD didn't come in a box? I didn't get the regular SHM-CD; I only ordered the platinum one, and it came in a box that is almost identical to the SACD. Same cover, same interior, just some minor differences where the SACD logo and "Platinum" logo are.

David

No box for the SHM-CD just the mini LP with light blue obi cover that says SHM CD all housed inside the plastic sealed sleeve. The mini LP inside also contains the yellow slip cover as shown above with same inner booklets. I just played first track on SHM CD and compared it to the remastered classics, the remastered classics sounds a tad louder to me than the SHM CD. I'm going to rip wavs of this and import into audacity to see what the sound levels look like.

Anyone hearing any odd or different mixes? Or are these just the same mixes that SINGLES 69-73 has always had as an LP? (That's my suspicion and what I expect.)

Harry

Just as I suspected...the Remastered Classics CD is a tad louder than the new 2014 SHM-CD mastering.

Here is a .wav of We've Only Just Begun from the new SHM-CD

AudacityJapanSHM-CDScreenShot2014-04-23at43425PM.png~original

Here is a .wav of We've Only Just Begun from the Remastered Classics CD

AudacityRemasterClassicsScreenShot2014-04-23at43242PM.png~original

Harry, I'm not detecting any differences at all in mixes. The "Superstar"/"Rainy Days"/"Goodbye to Love" trio is at the slower speed found on the "Remastered Classics" version of the album, not the slightly faster version from the 1984 CD release.

There's only one discernible difference I can detect between the SHM-CD and the "Remastered Classics" CD -- the fade-out on "Close to You" at the very end of the album is very slightly longer on the SHM-CD. The song clocks in at 3:45 on the SHM-CD, whereas it is 3:37 on the "Remastered Classics" CD. (The 1984 CD has it at 3:41, kind of splitting the difference, by the way.)

I have not had a chance to sit and listen all the way through....I plan to do that later tonight but I did check out the last track and David is right....on the remaster classics Close to You ends with the Wahhhh, Ahhhh then it completely fades out, however on the 2014 SHM-CD after the Wahhh Ahhhh you can clearly hear the last Close To You and then the fade out. So 8 more seconds are added to the end of that song on the new SHM.

From the 2 tracks I have heard, track 1 and track 12, the new SHM does sound like a flat transfer, very reminiscent of an actual LP and I could really tell it's mastered at a different level from the remastered classics disc. I'm kinda surprised Richard approved this since most of what we get from him is reverb and echo on so many of the past releases, it sorta fresh to hear it like this.

Back
Top Bottom