The Singles 1969-1973 SACD and SHM (New Releases)

I compared Chris' posting of the waveform of the SHM-CD with that of the old original A&M CD. They look nearly identical.

Harry

Ok, I know we have talked about this before but why is there a drop out on both the remastered classics CD and on this new SHM-CD on the song, "Goodbye To Love" at about 1:16 to 1:20 mark when Karen sings, "Loneliness and empty days.........from this day love is forgotten" by drop out I mean all the backing instruments sound like they drop out, it's really noticeable right when it get to this time you can hear the sound level drop. I can't find it happening on any other CD other than the remastered classics and this SHM-CD. I don't have the original 69-73 CD but I'm assuming it's there too. I don't care for it as it makes it appear as a defect.

For instance on the original 80's CD of A Song for You, the track Goodbye to Love that line I mentioned above at 1:16 sounds fine (no drop in sound) but on the remastered classics it changed. It must be the 73 remix Richard did.

Last edited:
Isn't that one of the "punch-in" lines that Richard grabbed from a different lead? I think I recall reading something about that.

I do know that line is a different take entirely, which was used on the remix made in 1985. 'Loneliness and empty days will be my only friend....from this day love is forgotten'....that's all 'new'. I agree with Harry it's due to the punch-in of that line. My guess is that's the actual original line, and then Karen went back and punched in a new line to replace it back in '72 for the original release of 'Goodbye to Love'. Then, when Richard went back to remix it, he sourced the original recording.

The line, 'So I've made my mind up I must live my life alone'....is also a different vocal take from the one used in 1972. You can hear a distinct 'k' sound after the word 'alone' that's not on the 1972 original mix.

I'm still curious for those that have the SHM-Platinum Singles 69-73 CD how it sounds compared to the regular SHM-CD
Is the color of the actual disc the same color (mint greenish) or is it a platinum color? Does the sound differ that much from the regular SHM-CD? Does it warrant the additional $9.00

Last edited:
There won't be any difference in sound quality. The ones and zeros will be exactly the same, so the digital data is exactly the same. The material used to make the CD really can't possibly make a difference in sound quality -- unlike vinyl -- because of the way error correction on a CD works.

Thanks David.

I'm going to pre-order the UK The Singles 74-78 SHM-SACD and SHM-CD and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything special about the Platinum version on these new releases.

A few more .wav files captures, I think this really gives you an idea how different the mastering levels are between these releases.

Here is a capture of Goodbye To Love from the Remastered Classics CD
GoodbyeToLoveRemasteredClassics.png~original

Here is a capture of Goodbye To Love from the 2014 Japan SHM-CD
GoodbyeToLoveSHM-CD.png~original

Here is a capture of Ticket To Ride from the Remastered Classics CD
TicketToRideRemasteredClassicsScreenShot.png~original

Here is a capture of Ticket To Ride from the 2014 Japan SHM-CD

Last edited:
10010673_10202568803593826_6114548751620221322_o.jpg
901790_10202568803633827_9058411983465563665_o.jpg
1597977_10202568804073838_4751495716411287249_o.jpg
10005977_10202568804433847_896517664606056627_o.jpg
10298626_10202568804553850_65969917967156819_o.jpg
10258392_10202568804913859_2319052915358131790_o.jpg

I wanted to share the images I took even though I know you guys have already shared some. :) Mine is the Platinum SHM-CD. I also agree that the SHM coating doesn't mount to a hill of beans either, but it's still nice that it's pressed in platinum.

Regarding the sound quality. I never got a copy of the original 1984 issue of The Singles 1969-1973 on CD, but I did buy the Canadian release and I also have the Remastered Classics version. This Japanese re-release is indeed significantly quieter (as the waveforms show), however, it's got a sweeter sound in the high end. Definitely less harsh sounding. I'm not sure if they used any no-noise to remove tape hiss, but it sounds like they may have not. Maybe holding the treble fader down helped eliminate that.

I'm very happy with this purchase due to the sound quality. I was beginning to think I might regret buying this, but glad I went ahead and got it!

Thanks raz42289 for showing the Platinum, now I see it looks similar to the SHM-SACD box.
I'm also really happy with my purchase of this and after listening through a couple more times all the way through of my SHM-CD I really agree...it's great that we have a whole new 2014 mastering and that it's not identical to the remastered classics. I've been tossing back and forth from the remastered classics CD to the 2014 SHM-CD for comparing the sound and you can really hear the differences. The SHM-CD seems to be warmer overall and even sweeter when turning up the volume, it still stay in that sweet spot. Nice!!

I got my package today, finally, and now have in my hands what you folks have been picturing and talking about these past couple of days.

As I suspected, the SACD is, in fact, one layer stereo only. It plays on my Sony BDP-570 just fine and sounds great - so warm and inviting. And I'm impressed with the platinum SHM-CD as well. The audio program on these two is identical, it's just that one is an SACD-only, while the platinum one plays in standard CD players.

Comparing the new audio to the other two existing SINGLES 1969-1973, I can hear the difference in the mastering. The new discs have that warmer, more analog sound than the old CDs. The mixes of songs are all as they sounded back in 1974 when the LP was released - everything's correct, but in the comparisons I noticed a little something I hadn't noticed before.

On the original A&M CD of SINGLES 1969-1973, there was a slight narrowing of the stereo. It's most evident with headphones as you compare two tracks: the first one and "Ticket To Ride". Both of those recordings start with the left channel playing Richard's piano with essentially nothing in the right. On the A&M CD, you can hear just a tiny bit of leakage of the piano into the right channel, whereas on both the Remastered Classics and the new SHM discs, the stereo is hard panned to the left with nothing at all in the right.

So it's the old A&M CD that's really the slightly different one here as far as the stereo soundstage goes - and it's got the sped-up trilogy that was correctly slowed-down on both the Remastered Classics and the new discs.

There's another little difference that I noticed between the new discs and the old A&M CD. On the opening overture, when Karen begins to sing: "Why do birds...", something interesting happens on the word "do". On the 1998 version and the new SHM version, the first word, "Why", has a weird phasey sound about it, as if coming from left and right at different times (microseconds here), and it's fixed in the middle of the word "do". It's as if someone got to the control to center the audio just a word too late. Again, I hear that with headphones on the opening words of both the Remastered Classic and the new SHM discs.

On the old A&M CD, you've got the slightly narrowed stereo, but Karen's first word sounds properly centered, yet I still hear a faint popping sound at the same place in the middle of the word "do". So it may be something that goes back to 1973 that hasn't translated well in newer editions.

All very minor stuff, but I can hear it with my aging ears.

Harry

I got my package today, finally, and now have in my hands what you folks have been picturing and talking about these past couple of days.

As I suspected, the SACD is, in fact, one layer stereo only. It plays on my Sony BDP-570 just fine and sounds great - so warm and inviting. And I'm impressed with the platinum SHM-CD as well. The audio program on these two is identical, it's just that one is an SACD-only, while the platinum one plays in standard CD players.

Comparing the new audio to the other two existing SINGLES 1969-1973, I can hear the difference in the mastering. The new discs have that warmer, more analog sound than the old CDs. The mixes of songs are all as they sounded back in 1974 when the LP was released - everything's correct, but in the comparisons I noticed a little something I hadn't noticed before.

On the original A&M CD of SINGLES 1969-1973, there was a slight narrowing of the stereo. It's most evident with headphones as you compare two tracks: the first one and "Ticket To Ride". Both of those recordings start with the left channel playing Richard's piano with essentially nothing in the right. On the A&M CD, you can hear just a tiny bit of leakage of the piano into the right channel, whereas on both the Remastered Classics and the new SHM discs, the stereo is hard panned to the left with nothing at all in the right.

So it's the old A&M CD that's really the slightly different one here as far as the stereo soundstage goes - and it's got the sped-up trilogy that was correctly slowed-down on both the Remastered Classics and the new discs.

There's another little difference that I noticed between the new discs and the old A&M CD. On the opening overture, when Karen begins to sing: "Why do birds...", something interesting happens on the word "do". On the 1998 version and the new SHM version, the first word, "Why", has a weird phasey sound about it, as if coming from left and right at different times (microseconds here), and it's fixed in the middle of the word "do". It's as if someone got to the control to center the audio just a word too late. Again, I hear that with headphones on the opening words of both the Remastered Classic and the new SHM discs.

On the old A&M CD, you've got the slightly narrowed stereo, but Karen's first word sounds properly centered, yet I still hear a faint popping sound at the same place in the middle of the word "do". So it may be something that goes back to 1973 that hasn't translated well in newer editions.

All very minor stuff, but I can hear it with my aging ears.

Harry

Harry,

Given the two audio programs are identical, which would you recommend over the other if I could only get one right now? I have the 69-81 SACD and adore it. I have a SACD player (my Sony home theatre is one of the ones that will play them). So, if I have that one and the 69-73 SACD doesn't have the 5.1 audio, would it be better to get the Platinum?

Thanks,
Amy

Resource updated to include a mention of these new discs within the SINGLES 1969-1973 album entry.

Harry,

Given the two audio programs are identical, which would you recommend over the other if I could only get one right now? I have the 69-81 SACD and adore it. I have a SACD player (my Sony home theatre is one of the ones that will play them). So, if I have that one and the 69-73 SACD doesn't have the 5.1 audio, would it be better to get the Platinum?

Thanks,
Amy

Amy, it's a tough choice, I know. For my purposes, having a disc that plays pretty much everywhere is more valuable than one that MUST be played in a certain player. But that being said, it's a disc that most of us already have as a regular CD anyway, or at least the LP. The SACD has that smoothness of sound that's hard to describe, but then the other one I have, the Platinum is no slouch in that category either.

Theoretically, the SACD should be your best bet, since you have an SACD player and can play it. I guess it really depends on how you'll use it. Do you play audio discs on your home theater? If so then the SACD is a good fit. Do you want this for in-car listening? Then you might want to opt for either of the two SHM CDs.

It's really a tough choice.

Harry

I don't know if you can do this but could someone buy the SACD and then burn that onto a CDR for their car? This way Amy could get the SACD allowing for the higher quality and burn a stereo version on a CDR for her car.

It takes some doing but could probably be accomplished. I managed to get the 5.1 SACD downmixed to a CD-R, so this would be a little easier since we're dealing with only 2 tracks.

But think about what it is that you're doing: You're taking high resolution audio and reducing it down to standard redbook CD on regular material. Well - that's what they ultimately did to produce the Remastered Classics version, so why not just play that - assuming she has it - in the car.

The more I think about it though, I think I recommend the SACD, since that's the most special of all of them and if it goes out of print, will be hard to get down the road.

Harry

I just noticed something...I have 2 LP's of The Singles 69-73 both are gatefolds and both show the same catalog #SP 3601, both have the same A&M logo on the front cover (bottom centered) however only one of my LP's has the embossed logo on the front (large) and embossed logo on back cover (little). I looked at the spines on both LP's and they have the exact same info except it printed a little higher up on the spine for the embossed logo LP than the other that is not. The LP that is missing the embossed logo is the darker brown which looks very similar to the new 2014 SHM-CD cover replicated. The LP that has the embossed logo's is a lighter brown color.

When I was admiring the new 2014 SHM-CD it has the same embossed logo front and back just like my 1 LP.
I wonder why my other LP (which has the same catalog #) is missing the embossed logo's.
I also wonder why the Remastered Classics CD does not have the embossed logo's?
Does the original A&M CD have the embossed logo's?

It takes some doing but could probably be accomplished. I managed to get the 5.1 SACD downmixed to a CD-R, so this would be a little easier since we're dealing with only 2 tracks.

But think about what it is that you're doing: You're taking high resolution audio and reducing it down to standard redbook CD on regular material. Well - that's what they ultimately did to produce the Remastered Classics version, so why not just play that - assuming she has it - in the car.

The more I think about it though, I think I recommend the SACD, since that's the most special of all of them and if it goes out of print, will be hard to get down the road.

Harry

Harry & Chris,

I appreciate your insight! I believe if I end up choosing between the two I'll go with the SACD. I see Harry's point. I've got the SACD player...might as well use it and enjoy. I don't have to have it in the car. Thanks guys! :)

Amy

All right, I'm about to declare something. Get ready.

This release is the best sounding Carpenters recording ever. Comparing the individual songs off this CD to other releases that have the same mixes, this one wins hands down every time. For example, Hurting Each Other - sounds better than the Canadian Singles 1969-1973, The Remastered Classics Singles 1969-1973, Carpenters: Their Greatest Hits, the Singles 1969-1981 SACD/CD, and even The Essential Collection. And the general consensus has been that The Essential Collection (2002) had the best sound quality of any Carpenters release thus far.

So get it if you want it! I don't imagine it'll last long.

I just noticed something...I have 2 LP's of The Singles 69-73 both are gatefolds and both show the same catalog #SP 3601, both have the same A&M logo on the front cover (bottom centered) however only one of my LP's has the embossed logo on the front (large) and embossed logo on back cover (little). I looked at the spines on both LP's and they have the exact same info except it printed a little higher up on the spine for the embossed logo LP than the other that is not. The LP that is missing the embossed logo is the darker brown which looks very similar to the new 2014 SHM-CD cover replicated. The LP that has the embossed logo's is a lighter brown color.

When I was admiring the new 2014 SHM-CD it has the same embossed logo front and back just like my 1 LP.
I wonder why my other LP (which has the same catalog #) is missing the embossed logo's.
I also wonder why the Remastered Classics CD does not have the embossed logo's?
Does the original A&M CD have the embossed logo's?

Chris, your non-embossed album was likely a later pressing. LP's often came with fancy packaging on their early pressings as part of the enticement to buy when the album was new. As time wore on, a subsequent pressing likely did away with some of those niceties - like die-cut covers, embossing, special textures, and even gatefolds. Carpenters albums were not immune to this practice. That's why you'll find versions of A SONG FOR YOU without the flap, versions of the tan album without the envelope cutting, and versions of lots of different artists albums with no gatefolds when their original pressings.

The Japanese are generally expert at getting the little details right on their replicas, and this one's no exception. How does the new SACD compare in sound with your LPs? Oh wait - that's right, I forgot - you're still looking for an SACD player. Well, how does the LP compare with the SHM-CD?

Harry

All right, I'm about to declare something. Get ready.

This release is the best sounding Carpenters recording ever. Comparing the individual songs off this CD to other releases that have the same mixes, this one wins hands down every time. For example, Hurting Each Other - sounds better than the Canadian Singles 1969-1973, The Remastered Classics Singles 1969-1973, Carpenters: Their Greatest Hits, the Singles 1969-1981 SACD/CD, and even The Essential Collection. And the general consensus has been that The Essential Collection (2002) had the best sound quality of any Carpenters release thus far.

So get it if you want it! I don't imagine it'll last long.

I tend to concur. For one thing, this release contains close-to-original mixes. The recordings were tinkered with for the purposes of this LP originally, and they were only slightly tinkered with. So when one compares a track with the 5.1 SACD, you're comparing original mixes with remixes.

Comparing each of these with like mixes from other discs, the new mastering wins just about every time - even against the MFSL version of A SONG FOR YOU. Using Raz's tune for comparison, "Hurting Each Other", many of the compilations have a bit of a gritty sound in the highs, but not the new SACD mastering. It's much smoother. The MFSL A SONG FOR YOU version has the smoother highs, but also a boomier bass. This new mastering is just right.

And yes, I would recommend that anyone on the fence should bite the bullet and get these while they're available. The Platinum version has two dates:

[14-3-26 14-9-25]

I always thought those dates on Japanese releases indicated the selling window, but later learned that the second date was the end of the window for this particular pricing scheme. Sometimes releases are sold later, sometimes they disappear.

The SACD doesn't have two dates that I can see, just the same start date of [14-3-26] followed by some Japanese characters. I don't know what that means, but in today's selling economy, I'd bet that it's a limited edition that won't be repeated.

Harry

I tend to concur. For one thing, this release contains close-to-original mixes. The recordings were tinkered with for the purposes of this LP originally, and they were only slightly tinkered with. So when one compares a track with the 5.1 SACD, you're comparing original mixes with remixes.

Comparing each of these with like mixes from other discs, the new mastering wins just about every time - even against the MFSL version of A SONG FOR YOU. Using Raz's tune for comparison, "Hurting Each Other", many of the compilations have a bit of a gritty sound in the highs, but not the new SACD mastering. It's much smoother. The MFSL A SONG FOR YOU version has the smoother highs, but also a boomier bass. This new mastering is just right.

And yes, I would recommend that anyone on the fence should bite the bullet and get these while they're available. The Platinum version has two dates:

[14-3-26 14-9-25]

I always thought those dates on Japanese releases indicated the selling window, but later learned that the second date was the end of the window for this particular pricing scheme. Sometimes releases are sold later, sometimes they disappear.

The SACD doesn't have two dates that I can see, just the same start date of [14-3-26] followed by some Japanese characters. I don't know what that means, but in today's selling economy, I'd bet that it's a limited edition that won't be repeated.

Harry

I'm gonna bite the bullet today. Did you all order from Amazon Japan? Who has the best price?

:)

Back
Top Bottom