The Singles 1969-1973 SACD and SHM (New Releases)

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I guess this is really true, a new SACD is set to be released Dec 18, 2013 of the Singles 1969-1973. It appears Richard is involved in this project. It also appears that there may be a few different versions, a SHM CD and then a SACD version.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Carpenters_000000000001668/item_Singles-1969-1973-Ltd-Rmt-Pps_5565768

Catalogue Number : UIGY-9542
Released in Japan
Format :SACD
Limited (First Edition), Paper Sleeve, Remaster

This is the translation from Japan to English from HMV website:

[Richard Carpenter supervision, 2013 latest remastering / 5.1 surround audio]
[SACD ~ SHM-CD / paper jacket and paper case (first SACD ~ SHM-CD f)]
[Limited Edition]

Official best album was the only release to Karen during his lifetime.Rather than those enumerated the album original version simply, you can record a new, and subjected to a new edit, is a masterpiece talents as arranger and feelings of Richard shines, it is evaluated original album as well.Ideal for work as well as Introductory Carpenters sound.

(From Label Information)

They are also showing 2 more links for SHM Cd's at different prices, so it's possible there will be 3 CD's issued, 2 SHM's and 1 SACD. Scroll down to see 2 SHM's CD's released at the same time as the SACD.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/keyword_carpenters/target_SEARCH/type_sr/

Chris Chris Chris my holidays of 2014 are due for a thrill! Thanx for unearthing these releases! My orders are signed, sealed and yet to be delivered. 1 SACD & 1 SHM-CD. I haven't heard anything about SACD's for years. Making a resurgence maybe? The Japanese are sure on top of things. Richard's participation was the selling point. However it would have sold here w/o it too. Even if for some reason it doesn't materialize it still puts the bounce in me step!!

The audiophile labels have been releasing SACDs all along (such as Mobile Fidelity). It's the major labels that gave up on them.

Say, I'm wondering do we trust this site for selling? I've never heard of them before. An offshoot of Amazon Japan maybe? Gimme a heads up y'all if cancellation is in order. Also, I jumped the gun a bit. In the above post I meant to refer to my holidays of 2013.

I have never ordered from hmv but I have heard about them many times in the past so I believe they are legit. Amazon Japan is also selling this SACD so this new release is true. Amazon Japan is also showing it being released 3 ways at 3 different prices as well. The larger price 4500 YEN would of course be the SACD release and it says so in the product description. It's also interesting to note that these will most certainly sell out as they are listing them as limited edition.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=sr_st?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&keywords=Carpenters&qid=1381961338&rh=n:561956,k:Carpenters&sort=-releasedate

Here is the link to the Limited Edition SACD

http://www.amazon.co.jp/シングルス-1969~1973-紙ジャケット仕様-カーペンターズ/dp/B00FW67H7Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1381961346&sr=1-3&keywords=Carpenters

Harry,

Do you think this new SACD release will be like the Singles 69-81 in respect to it having a CD layer along with the SACD coding? Because I noticed on Amazon Japan it says the SACD requires SACD player. I know with the Singles 69-81 it will still play on a CD player even if you don't have a SACD decoder.

If you look at the Singles 69-81 CD on the left edge it says:
  • SACD Surround Sound
  • SACD Stereo
  • CD Audio
So there are multiple layers on this one. I wonder if the Singles 69-73 will be the same?

That's a good question, and not being an SACD expert, I can't say. CDJapan hasn't listed this one yet, but expect them to include it soon.

Harry

Thanks for the head's up on these releases Chris!
I opted for the SACD-release and ordered it at CDJapan. All three releases are now listed there!

No problem.

Yes, I see they are now showing on CDJapan. I wonder what the difference between the SHM Platinum CD and the other SMH CD is? I guess it's time to place my order for the SACD even though I don't even have a SACD player. I sure wish we knew if the SACD will play on a regular CD player cause if not I will need to order the regular SHM CD as well.

I have never ordered from hmv but I have heard about them many times in the past so I believe they are legit.

More than legit: their roots go back over 100 years in the UK. At their peak, they had several hundred music stores around the world. I visited the HMV in San Francisco back in 1998, in fact. HMV's trademark is familiar: "His Master's Voice". (RCA has the rights to use that phrase, and the dog logo, here in the US.) They still operate over 100 stores, but I'm pretty sure all of the US stores were closed awhile ago. For awhile, their flagship store in the UK was the largest music store in the world.

As for the SACD/CD issue: there is no way of telling until the disc arrives what it will be, since those overseas sites don't clearly list what it is that they have for sale. I had thought that most (if not all) CDs today were hybrids, having both an SACD and a CD layer.

I wonder what the difference between the SHM Platinum CD and the other SMH CD is? I guess it's time to place my order for the SACD even though I don't even have a SACD player. I sure wish we knew if the SACD will play on a regular CD player cause if not I will need to order the regular SHM CD as well.

I was wondering the same thing. I've had the same question with other releases from Japan but it's always been with new albums. Sometimes the difference was in the packaging (normal jewel case vs. those thicker Japanese cases) or a different cover picture. But this is a re-release, so I doubt the difference will be in the cover. I'm expecting them to keep the iconic cover.

There are a lot of releases around this time of year so I had to make a choice regarding this re-release. I chose the SACD because there's a higher probability of another SHM reprint of this set (in a box or otherwise) than another SACD edition. I missed out on the Singles 69-81 SACD so I didn't want to miss this one. Normally I'd be worried about the hybrid-issue, but we bought a new dvd/home cinema set a few years ago which turned out to be an SACD-player as well. That was a nice surprise! I'll be locking myself away in our "media room" with the new Carpenters SACD for a good while when it arrives. Oh the joys of mere anticipation!...

There is another thing to consider as well...if you are even remotely thinking of picking this new release up in SACD form, I would highly recommend it. I just did a quick search on ebay for the prior SACD Singles 69-81 and one is a buy it now for $129.99 and the other is $239.65. I had no idea this SACD was going for this much money. I bought mine when it was originally released, I guess it's a speciality disc that would go up in value later?? or are all SACD's going for this after it's OOP??

So it looks like CDJapan has updated their website, all are listed as Cardboard Sleeve (mini lp):

Details on the Platinum CD:
$36.89 U.S.
Cardboard sleeve reissue features Platinum SHM-CD format and 2013 remaster supervised by Richard Carpenter. *Platinum SHM-CD is the ultimate compact disc utilizing the platinum in place of the aluminum to form the reflective coating in addition to the proven SHM-CD technology. Platinum SHM-CD is fully compatible with standard CD players. However, it will not play on CD players that are not compatible with CD-R (Compact Disc-Recordable) discs.

Details on the Standard CD:
$26.87 U.S.
Cardboard sleeve reissue features the high-fidelity SHM-CD format (compatible with standard CD players) and 2013 remaster supervised by Richard Carpenter. This is the first time that the product is reissued with cardboard packaging.

Details on the SACD:
$43.18 U.S.
Cardboard sleeve reissue features the high-fidelity SHM-SACD format (fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players) and 2013 remaster supervised by Richard Carpenter.

There is another thing to consider as well...if you are even remotely thinking of picking this new release up in SACD form, I would highly recommend it. I just did a quick search on ebay for the prior SACD Singles 69-81 and one is a buy it now for $129.99 and the other is $239.65. I had no idea this SACD was going for this much money. I bought mine when it was originally released, I guess it's a speciality disc that would go up in value later?? or are all SACD's going for this after it's OOP??

Yeah, it's because it's both out-of-print, and remains a sought-after demonstration-type disc for SACD setups. I have two of those - one autographed by Richard.

Harry

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Singles 69-81 SACD a U.S. release? The catalog # on mine is B0002996-36

It's interesting that the Singles 69-73 looks to be a Japan only SACD with a catalog # UIGY-9542 (which looks like a Japan #) This makes me wonder if this will really be a true SACD only and not a hybrid like the prior one.
It's also interesting that the Singles 69-73 will be issued in cardboard style for the first time ever. I'm taking it these will not be jewel cases for either the CD or the SACD.

CD Japan is now showing artwork for this release, but can this really be the cover art? If you enlarge the photo they are using it almost looks like the US LP cover...logo at bottom (middle) with SP3601. Am I seeing things?

It seems strange that CD Japan would put up the wrong cover art because they have the older Singles 69-73 with the older cover art so they could have easily used that just for advertising, why would they choose the LP cover art with a catalog # not representing the new SACD?

Perhaps because this is a mini-LP format, they've decided to EXACTLY mimic the LP. I've seen other mini-LP's from Japan that leave the old catalog number as part of the artwork. Check out your Roger Nichols and the Small Circle Of Friends SHM-CD. It's got the SP 4139 designation just where it would have appeared on the LP.

Harry

Yes, my Roger Nichols and the SCOF does have that catalog #, so I guess it makes sense since the Carpenters release is a mini LP. I guess I was just looking for the cover to appear somewhat different but the prior SACD looked the same except the clear edge said SACD.

It will be interesting to see how the final product looks for all 3 versions. I order the SACD and the regular one but I didn't get the Platinum one so I hope someone here gets that one and can provide a photo of how that one looks.

This is turning out to be quiet a end of the year Carpenters celebration for me....
first the Perry Como's Christmas DVD then soon the Carpenters on stage live 72-74 Japan release only in just a few weeks away (yes!! I finally got an all region DVD player) and then in Dec (hopefully before Christmas) we get the Singles SACD and regular SHM cd's

I feel like I hit the Carpenters jackpot!!! :laugh: I think I'm gonna play "Happy" :laugh:

Just to give you an idea of how this is selling...the 3 new releases on 12/18 of the Singles 69-73 SACD, Platinum, and regular SHM CD's are no longer shipping on release date, those orders are filled, CDJapan is now showing all 3 releases to ship 1-4 days following the release date, this is a clue that people are buying up these CD's and most certainly these will go out of print quickly so....if you are even thinking of picking one of these up don't wait!!

Notice from CDJapan said 01-29-14 for the platinum shmcd. However Amazon Japan still has the original release date of 12-18-13 for the SACD. I did order my SACD from Amazon so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Well sho 'nough Amazon just contacted with a late Jan '14 release. I think it said the 28th or so. Well, a bright way to ring in the New Year!

Back
Top Bottom