The Singles 1969-1973 SACD and SHM (New Releases)

Richard put out a solo record?

Ed

I still ask myself that, and I've owned the LP for years. :laugh:

41iasEi9X3L.jpg

I agree Mark....but I do like the album cover front and back for Time...best appreciated in LP format for artwork. If only Karen's solo album had been done in LP format (make that Chris Tassin's cover version please!! not that atrocious watercolor)

So I FINALLY got a blu-ray player that plays SACD's and a proper receiver to pick up the DSD sound. I'd had the Singles 69-81 SACD ever since it was released but have never been able to play it until yesterday. I also bought the Singles 69-73 SACD so I have just reviewed these SACD's yesterday...better late than never, huh?

The Singles 69-81 SACD 5.1 is utterly amazing....my receiver will play both the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) and also the PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) I've been switching between the 2 and I've found that the DSD sound is noticeably better. I have to say my favorites are, Calling Occupants (the 5.1 is just incredible to hear but then to go back and listen to each speaker by itself is unbelievable) This is the way this song should have been listened to all along. Touch Me When We're Dancing (I wasn't expecting this one to really move me but wow, it sounds like a whole new recording, hearing little things I didn't before. I Believe You (for the obvious vocal takes) so amazing to hear this for myself in person) It's Going To Take Some Time (wow, this is like a new recording, deeper sounding Karen so nice to finally hear this) I can't believe how happy I am that Merry Christmas Darling was included as part of the SACD, beloved Christmas classic finally heard in a whole new way, I really like this one. It doesn't get any better than this, the clarity and backing vocals are just incredible to hear this way.

Well most of this has already been discussed but I'm hearing it for the first time with my own ears and the 5.1 SACD is something really special, my only regret is that we will not get any more releases such as this one. The 2 channel SACD can't compare to the 5.1 differences.

The Singles 69-73 SACD, I finally was able to listen to this today, again my receiver is picking up the DSD signal and switching back and forth between PCM and DSD, I can tell (to me ears) that the DSD sounds much better. I was kinda let down in a way because I first experienced the 5.1 SACD and then I played the 2 channel stereo SACD 69-73 and while it was great to hear, I was left wishing it had been 5.1.

Still the 2 ch stereo is really something to hear, as everyone has already stated, I am really happy with the sound on this and it really reminds me of vinyl. After I listened to the 69-73 SACD completely through , I decided for fun to set my receiver to one of the audio decoding format's there's many to choose from but I found Dolby Digital Logic II (music mode) to enable a 5 ch playback from a 2 ch source, this was just ok...not ideal as it really just spreads the 2 ch across all the speakers. Then I chose another called Neo 6 (music mode) it provides discrete full channel surround sound playback from a 2 ch source. The difference I found with the Neo 6 was that the sound was just not spread across all the speakers like the DD Logic II (music) I mentioned before. The Neo 6 keeps the vocals centered utilizing all 3 front speakers L, C & R, the rears bring in the backing vocals only and the instruments. This leaves for a really fun listen as some of the instruments are isolated to the rears (or heard more prominent) as well as the backing vocals. It's cool to hear it in another way other than just the 2 ch stereo.

So glad I bought these and can finally hear what everyone else has been writing about....now just waiting for the next Carpenters SACD....then we have Olivia's SACD's...oh man my poor wallet.

So I FINALLY got a blu-ray player that plays SACD's and a proper receiver to pick up the DSD sound. I'd had the Singles 69-81 SACD ever since it was released but have never been able to play it until yesterday. I also bought the Singles 69-73 SACD so I have just reviewed these SACD's yesterday...better late than never, huh?

The Singles 69-81 SACD 5.1 is utterly amazing....my receiver will play both the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) and also the PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) I've been switching between the 2 and I've found that the DSD sound is noticeably better. I have to say my favorites are, Calling Occupants (the 5.1 is just incredible to hear but then to go back and listen to each speaker by itself is unbelievable) This is the way this song should have been listened to all along. Touch Me When We're Dancing (I wasn't expecting this one to really move me but wow, it sounds like a whole new recording, hearing little things I didn't before. I Believe You (for the obvious vocal takes) so amazing to hear this for myself in person) It's Going To Take Some Time (wow, this is like a new recording, deeper sounding Karen so nice to finally hear this) I can't believe how happy I am that Merry Christmas Darling was included as part of the SACD, beloved Christmas classic finally heard in a whole new way, I really like this one. It doesn't get any better than this, the clarity and backing vocals are just incredible to hear this way.

Well most of this has already been discussed but I'm hearing it for the first time with my own ears and the 5.1 SACD is something really special, my only regret is that we will not get any more releases such as this one. The 2 channel SACD can't compare to the 5.1 differences.

The Singles 69-73 SACD, I finally was able to listen to this today, again my receiver is picking up the DSD signal and switching back and forth between PCM and DSD, I can tell (to me ears) that the DSD sounds much better. I was kinda let down in a way because I first experienced the 5.1 SACD and then I played the 2 channel stereo SACD 69-73 and while it was great to hear, I was left wishing it had been 5.1.

Still the 2 ch stereo is really something to hear, as everyone has already stated, I am really happy with the sound on this and it really reminds me of vinyl. After I listened to the 69-73 SACD completely through , I decided for fun to set my receiver to one of the audio decoding format's there's many to choose from but I found Dolby Digital Logic II (music mode) to enable a 5 ch playback from a 2 ch source, this was just ok...not ideal as it really just spreads the 2 ch across all the speakers. Then I chose another called Neo 6 (music mode) it provides discrete full channel surround sound playback from a 2 ch source. The difference I found with the Neo 6 was that the sound was just not spread across all the speakers like the DD Logic II (music) I mentioned before. The Neo 6 keeps the vocals centered utilizing all 3 front speakers L, C & R, the rears bring in the backing vocals only and the instruments. This leaves for a really fun listen as some of the instruments are isolated to the rears (or heard more prominent) as well as the backing vocals. It's cool to hear it in another way other than just the 2 ch stereo.

So glad I bought these and can finally hear what everyone else has been writing about....now just waiting for the next Carpenters SACD....then we have Olivia's SACD's...oh man my poor wallet.

So happy for you Chris! I can relate in that I just got to experience the 69-81 5.1 SACD because I purchased it in February. I was blown away. Also, I too am disappointed we won't get anymore of the 5.1 releases. They're just amazing. Sounds like K&R and the band are in your home playing for you!

I was most surprised by "I Believe You". I think I re-listened four times before I could move on.

Congratulations!!! :goodie:

So, Chris, what blue ray player and receiver did you end up getting, and where?

I have a Sony Blu-ray player BDP-S5100 that not only plays blu-ray discs but also plays SACD's. This player also allows for the DSD signal when playing SACD's, however my receiver that I had was 7 yrs old and was not compatible so I opted to just get a new receiver, I have a Yamaha RX-V377 receiver and this one also outputs the DSD signal for SACD's. So they work great together with my 5.1 speaker set up. I got the Blu-ray player for only $88.00 however now I noticed the price has increased to over $100.00. I must have got it at a great time. I never knew I could get into blu-ray so cheap and with all these functions in one player.

Also remember, this is a work-lead of Karen's - the vocal included in the 5.1 project was not the master lead, as was also the case with I Believe You. Definitely a fresh new listen.

I can't even believe that it's even there, for us to hear it like this....it really makes the Singles 69-81 SACD so important to have as a collector and lover of Carpenters music. Richard should really consider doing 1 more SACD in 5.1, their music really deserves it.

I was also thinking, it sure would be nice to one day get a Blu-ray disc of their videos like Gold or Interpretations, DVD is great but once you have seen Blu-ray video....you want everything in Blu-ray.

Richard should really consider doing 1 more SACD in 5.1, their music really deserves it.

That would certainly be a treat no doubt. Richard has told me that he would have spent money out of his own pocket to further remix the catalog in that format had the first-generation multitrack tapes not been destroyed in the Universal fire, so I don't expect that's likely. To my knowledge, there weren't additional remixes done (unreleased) from that project. It was pretty cut and dry. I say this simply because had there been another track or two laying around that never made it to the album, *maybe* that could get released on a future release as a bonus track. On that note however, I'm not sure how the labels are viewing that format these days. In Richard's eyes, for as much as he loved the 5.1 format AND its treatment of the Carpenters' stuff, that format has more or less died.

I wonder if Richard believes this format is dead because he no longer has access to his first gen multitrack tapes to issue more releases OR do all artists & record labels believe this format is dead? This is what I'd like to know....why are there still so many SACD's still being released if the format is dead? Yes the format is a small niche in the community but people are still buying them and retail outlets must be able to report back sales to the record labels and if something is selling why not produce the product.

Chris, do you believe that we will get more albums on the 2 ch stereo SACD's since we seem to be getting 2 already or do you think it will end with the Singles comp's?

One would hope that, after all the times he had access to those tapes that he transferred them to hi-res digital. If he didn't, history has been lost.

Ed

Chris, do you believe that we will get more albums on the 2 ch stereo SACD's since we seem to be getting 2 already or do you think it will end with the Singles comp's?

It's hard to say for sure, but at the end of the day it *does* come down to dollars and cents in terms of marketability etc. Honestly if the 2-channel SACD format continues to be a hot commodity, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the entire studio catalog gets a re-release in this format.

I know wrong thread but I must rant on about my love of the 5.1 Singles 69-81....I feel like I'm holding a square piece of gold, rounded edges feel so nice in my hands like liquid gold. This thing is amazing, I've been blinded by the 5.1 light.

I must have listened to "Calling Occupants" 5 times tonight, each time hearing something different in the mix. I swear I think I just came back from a concert....this might be the best it will ever get for me having never seen them in concert...I feel like I was there and had the best seat in the house. I noticed something at 1:35-1:36 for a split second that I didn't notice before, just as Karen is finishing the word craft you hear an emphases on the sound change (not the vocals) it gets quiet or goes down in sound level for a split second, sorta like emphasizing a chord change or something....it's hard to describe but it jumped out at me. It's so quick. I swear I love Tony fuzz guitar at 5:10 to 5:13 then again at 5:58 how they fuzz down and then at 6:02 they fuzz back up. Oh the surround on this gives me goose bumps.

I noticed listening to "Touch Me When Were Dancing" again that I was really impressed with how strong the drum beat felt, especially evident right from the opening track at around 30-45 seconds and then throughout.

"Bless The Beasts" I wanted to reiterate what Chris had mentioned at 1:48 on the 2nd chorus Karen & Richard's backing vocals, it almost sounds like they used another mic for this or something, it sounds higher slightly vocally, I've never heard it this way before, the harmonies in their voices blending together just a little higher in that spot, sounds incredible, love that part.

"Ticket To Ride" This is really so special to hear this in 5.1.....some things that jumped out at me when Karen sings he don't care, the guitar is REALLY prominent in the right rear channel at 2:06 to 2:11....while the left rear channel sound like just light piano then the piano comes back in the left some more at 2:15-2:16 and again at 2:25-2:26...then in the right rear channel you hear the guitar come back again strong at 2:19 and again 2:33 to 2:35....then you hear the piano in the right rear at 3:26 to the fade out so cool to hear it like this. My head is spinning and I like it. I'm jumping all over the room saying to myself...did you hear that over there....yup!!

To think that this disc just sat on my shelf for years and years never being able to experience what was inside and now finally I can feel the love!!!:love:

It's hard to say for sure, but at the end of the day it *does* come down to dollars and cents in terms of marketability etc. Honestly if the 2-channel SACD format continues to be a hot commodity, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the entire studio catalog gets a re-release in this format.
Time to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house! :laugh:

Chris....perhaps an interview with Bernie G is in order, to get the inside info on these 2014 masters and this whole process, why it all of a sudden came to light, this would be a fascinating interview. :wink:

Did I hear someone with discriminating taste mention Miss Olivia and SACD too?
Tell tell...
Jeff

Yes...I should purchase stock in CDJapan...they have been my "new best friend"....I have in my collection 2 SACD's "Come on Over' and 'Physical' yet to be opened....I can't get past my Carpenters high fidelity "high". Unfortunately no 5.1 for my Livvy....they are SHM-SACD single layer 2 ch stereo in DSD. Still any Olivia SACD is better than none, right? I hear 'Pony Ride' is just breathtaking and surreal on this format as well as 'Falling'...so far the artwork and packaging from Japan is again all first rate!!! Can't wait to go mellow and then get Physical, oh yeah baby!!! :love: Perhaps a Karen and Olivia SACD party are in order!!! I may even have to open my KoalaBlue wine!!!

Interestingly, I have never heard 1969-1973 in any format. I know the Ticket to Ride re-recording from 'From The Top'. Still, I am really tempted to pick this up since everyone says it sounds so good.

I've made some of my own comps along the way including one that features Karen on drums all the way through since I am a fan of her drumming too.

Back
Top Bottom