The Singles 1974-1978

Status
Not open for further replies.

amit1234

Howdy folks. I was wondering if anyone here has a copy of this second singles collection on CD. I purchased mine a few months ago while casually shopping at a Canadian Walmart. Since I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Singles 1969-1981', I didn't hesitate to pick up 'The Singles 1974-1978'. However, upon opening the package, I was disappointed to find there were no liner notes, pictures, remastering (understandable since it was an old title), and some of their newer songs I hadn't heard before didn't quite match their earlier work.

With that said, I was wondering what you guys think/thought of this collection? Did Richard provide any special touches like he did to the first collection?

Since there's a thread dedicated to the much superior 'The Singles 1969-1973', I thought this second collection deserved a little pat on the back as well. Sure, it wasn't as great compared to the first collection, however, it's very rare for any artist to put out a second greatest hits collection that matches their first in terms of quality and sales (eg. In the U.S., Madonna's 2001 'GHV2' sold 1/10th the amount of her 1990 release 'The Immaculate Collection'.)

Amit

....getting ready for a slew of greatest hits releases this Christmas by Sheryl Crow, Toni Braxton, TLC, and Michael Jackson....

My first experience with Singles 1974-1978 came on my very first trip to Canada - Montreal, to be specific, back in around 1979. As we wandered around the city, I remember going into a record store in a below-ground mall, and there saw this album (LP) for the first time. Packaged in a shiny gold foil jacket, I knew it would be a perfect compliment to the earlier Singles 1969-1973album. This was my first 'international' record experience, as I just never gave any thought to what was released in other countries and assumed it was all the same.

Though there wasn't near the level of thought put into this release that 69-73 got with its neat segues and special re-records, there was one thing special about the album. It contained the single version of "Can't Smile Without You" - for the first time on an album. There were never any liner notes to the album and other than the gold packaging, was rather plain.

I picked up the CD version in Canada years later on another trip and am happy I did. It's a nice companion to the other SINGLES album.

Harry
NP: Singles 1974-1978

Harry said:
Packaged in a shiny gold foil jacket, I knew it would be a perfect compliment to the earlier Singles 1969-1973album.

The original pressing was packaged in the gold foil jacket. Later reissues got an ordinary cardboard jacket, which looked identical to the 69-73 album, except with the colours reversed ("gold" cover, with dark brown lettering). Packaged this way, it makes a great looking set with the earlier Singles album. The CD booklet is a reproduction of the original cover, except it isn't made of foil (too expensive I suppose).

The two singles albums were the first Carpenters LPs that I bought (on the same day back in 1978), right after we got our first good stereo system.

Murray
...who wonders why "Singles 1974-1978" was never released in the USA...

I purchased this album back in the Eigthies as a vinyl lp. It has a yellow cover, not a golden one. What I liked about this album was the remixed version of CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU. Also, on this album I heard JAMBALAYA for the very first time, because NOW AND THEN wasn't available in Germany before Karen's death.

The CD of the second SINGLES album I bought just a few years ago, as a UK import.

Bruno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom