The Singles... That never were

Others I love: someone mentioned "Make it Easy on Yourself" from the Music, Music, Music special; maybe I missed that special when it was first on, but the first time I recall hearing it was about three years ago in my car. I had to pull over. It was THAT good. I had a similar (though more muted) reaction to "Tryin' to Get the Feeling."

Am I the only one who loved the "Made in America" album? Big fan here of "Touch Me When We're Dancing." Thought "Back in My Life Again" woulda shoulda been bigger hit than it was. "Beechwood 4-5789" is fun, but "Those Good Old Dreams" has that almost "Top of the World"-y kind of feel...both swaying and a bit twangy. Also..."Strength of a Woman"? "When It's Gone, It's Just Gone"? And from Karen's solo work, I love "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind" because it is so unapologetic, "If I Had You" because it is so challenging with a great payoff, "All Because of You" for its intimacy, "Last One Singin' the Blues" for what to me feels like a recording where she was in-charge, "If We Try" for its Andy Gibb-meets-Al Jarreau production vibe that perfectly complements Karen's stellar vocals, and "Still Crazy After All These Years" just cuz it takes me back.

I've said before, "Let Me Be The One" is the one that got away! :D

I agree that this was a great song...but given that the three-single per LP standard in 1971 was pretty unbreakable, which of that album's singles (For All We Know, Rainy Days, Superstar) would you have not released to replace it with Let Me Be The One? My answer is they should have broken the mold and had four singles from that album, but I wonder what you think...thanks!

Am I the only one who loved the "Made in America" album? Big fan here of "Touch Me When We're Dancing." Thought "Back in My Life Again" woulda shoulda been bigger hit than it was. "Beechwood 4-5789" is fun, but "Those Good Old Dreams" has that almost "Top of the World"-y kind of feel...both swaying and a bit twangy. Also..."Strength of a Woman"? "When It's Gone, It's Just Gone"?

No. There are many here that love MIA; however, the haters seem to dominate here.

Probably brought this up before, I am getting more and more "elderly", but Karen's vocal of Make It Easy On Yourself and Any Day Now in that black & white footage of their 1972 concert at the Chevron Hotel in Sydney Australia, makes me wish, oh so much, that a studio single of these songs somehow materialized. But Karen's rendition in this concert of MIEOY, the way she "moans" those lyrics makes the hair on the back of my neck stand at end... It is a beautiful moment!

I Just Fall In Love Again....
Gee, I remain the dissenter.
Not only do I not hear any 'nasally' vocals,
the arrangement (imho) is fantastic--yes, even bombastic--but, it speaks to me.
Certainly, the song was recorded in an A&M studio, I've read nothing to suggest otherwise.

NB: I love Helen Reddy, I don't hear any 'nasally' vocals there, either.
Karen, no doubt, is the greatest female vocalist ever. And, nasal or not, Helen Reddy, the queen of 70s pop, is number two.

Back
Top Bottom