The Singles Vinyl @ Target

I finally got around to opening my LP last night and I'm happy to report the vinyl is very nice. I don't see any of the imperfections on this that I saw so much of from the 2017 vinyl box set. My label is clean and hole punched correctly. I cleaned it on my machine but to be honest it was pretty clean to start. My pressing sounds clean and quiet and the color is awesome.

The version of Yesterday Once More is indeed the remix, sonically it kinda sounds out of place with regard to the rest of the tracks, when the heavier bass and drum come in...it's quite evident this is not the original single mix. I also was surprised to hear the medley was sped up in sound. I must have missed reading about that on this thread, when I first heard it I had to go to my Remastered Classics CD and compare the medley's and sure enough this vinyl has the faster medley. To me the faster medley just sounds all wrong and I don't like it.

I noticed some differences in color regarding the cover LP and the booklet. The LP cover has a reddish brown color which can be seen on my prior pic above. The booklet inside is more of a true dark brown. If you compare the new booklet to the 73 booklet you can see the browns are quite different. I also noticed they removed the A&M logo on the back cover and on the inside credits page they removed the A&M records and address. They also removed A&M printed in the USA at the bottom.

I can get over the differences in the colorings but having the wrong version of YOM and the faster medley pressed on this vinyl are both very disappointing.

Left is the 2020 booklet and right is the 73 booklet.
tsaFhhM.jpg

iQsCTg6.jpg

IOlDZzB.jpg

There's also the Thai (?) language titles for the lyrics on the last page of those. That's just plain weird.

I can imagine that whoever owns that POBox in Beverly Hills nowadays has gotten their fair share of A&M mail over the years.

I wouldn’t imagine they’d reassign the same box number to someone else; surely they’d just reassign it a new number.

I wouldn’t imagine they’d reassign the same box number to someone else; surely they’d just reassign it a new number.
You can be assured that someone has box number 782 now. P.O box numbers are recycled the same as phone numbers are.

Looking at the picture of the booklet that Rick posted above, I noticed that the A&M address had a ZIP code of "90213"... I thought that Beverly Hills was 90210. :laugh:

Another difference in the booklet is that the tiny line that says “Made in USA” is gone. Maybe that explains the Thai language—-the book’s from Thailand😅

A&M was on the fringe of Beverly Hills and Hollywood. Further west are the homes with huge lots and security gates etc. would be 90210.

I generally rip all my LP's and upload them into my iTunes library so I can enjoy them. I was looking forward to doing the same on this LP. However with the error made in getting the correct master, I've decided not to rip this and instead just attach a post it note to the LP indicating that this is a Canadian master and contains a remix of YOM and sped up version of the trilogy. It's kinda a let down from an audiophile aspect especially one who prefers the vinyl sound. I wish Richard would fix the issue and have it re-pressed again.

I generally rip all my LP's and upload them into my iTunes library so I can enjoy them. I was looking forward to doing the same on this LP. However with the error made in getting the correct master, I've decided not to rip this and instead just attach a post it note to the LP indicating that this is a Canadian master and contains a remix of YOM and sped up version of the trilogy. It's kinda a let down from an audiophile aspect especially one who prefers the vinyl sound. I wish Richard would fix the issue and have it re-pressed again.

Well, remember — the trilogy was VSOd for the original vinyl. So, *technically* speaking, the only disingenuous aspect of this would be the remix on side 2.

Still doesn't solve the issue however LOL :wink:

Does anyone know if these are from the original master recordings? I find that most modern day pressings of vinyls are practically giant CDs, and don’t even compare to the quality of the original record. I want to get it, simply because of the collectible clear vinyl, but It would be a little disappointing if the quality was poor.

Does anyone know if these are from the original master recordings? I find that most modern day pressings of vinyls are practically giant CDs, and don’t even compare to the quality of the original record. I want to get it, simply because of the collectible clear vinyl, but It would be a little disappointing if the quality was poor.
It’s from the Canadian Remaster done in the 90’s that features the 1985 YOM remix. That was probably done on a digitape.

Got my turntable for Christmas and opened this up. Not too bad but its a little warped and you can hear that it is. And there are some white things (looks like paper) embedded in the vinyl in a couple of places so that is disappointing as its clear and you can see all of it. May go back to Target and try to exchange it. Sound otherwise is fair. This will be more of a collector’s item than anything else.

Got my turntable for Christmas and opened this up. Not too bad but its a little warped and you can hear that it is. And there are some white things (looks like paper) embedded in the vinyl in a couple of places so that is disappointing as its clear and you can see all of it. May go back to Target and try to exchange it. Sound otherwise is fair. This will be more of a collector’s item than anything else.
Also picked up a 180g copy of Lovelines from Amazon. It’s nearly perfect. Sounds great. I listened to Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night on vinyl and immediately switched to a copy on my iPhone. You can really hear the difference in warmth and heft from vinyl to digital. Great purchase!

Got it for Christmas!
I live in Holland and it shipped all the way to here via a friend in America, i was surprised after reading everybody got a warped one, mine was in great shape!
Really High quality and a beautiful color!

Merry Christmas!

btw Harry, i really love this Snow, Christmas Theme on the Forum!
Great update😊

Just updated my site with info about the new vinyl and pictures. I love it and am so glad I received it for Christmas.....otherwise, I would have had to purchase for myself. lol
Jonathan

Just updated my site with info about the new vinyl and pictures. I love it and am so glad I received it for Christmas.....otherwise, I would have had to purchase for myself. lol
Jonathan
Nice photos! Aesthetically the record is very pretty. I'm still waiting for my copy, which is with my sister in the US. Waiting for the pandemic to end so we can see each other. Not urgent so there's no sense in having it shipped (can buy another record with the shipping cost). 🙂

Back
Top Bottom