📣 News The Songs of Bacharach & Costello

1676296286304.pngWhile looking through Roon Player yesterday, I came across something under Elvis Costello that caught my eye--a new release entitled The Songs of Bacharach & Costello. Release date is March 3, 2023. A timely release, in an unfortunate way (given Bacharach's passing just a few days ago).

The "Super Deluxe" version of the set will include four CDs and two LPs.

The first CD is a remaster of Painted from Memory.

The second CD is a collection of new songs written by Bacharach and Costello. An idea was floating around about a decade ago where the ideas and songs from the Painted from Memory album could be presented as a Broadway production (which has yet to be realized). As such, the score called for even more music by the duo. The project is called Taken from Life, and this second CD has four new performances of songs from Painted (by other singers) along with eleven new Bacharach/Costello tracks with a variety of backing. A couple feature orchestral arrangements written and conducted by Vince Mendoza, while others find Costello with his group The Imposters. A twelfth new composition at the end of the CD (a bonus track, of sorts) is part of another stage production that Costello and Bacharach had worked on: "Lie Back and Think of England," intended for a stage production of Austin Powers.

One of the songs from Taken from Life, "Look Up Again," debuted on Herb Alpert's 2016 album Human Nature.

The third CD gathers up nine tracks of songs from Painted from Memory which were recorded live, one of them with Bacharach, the other eight with pianist Steve Nieve.

The fourth CD is a collection of Bacharach/David covers that Costello has performed throughout his career. Some are live recordings, two others (one with Nick Lowe) are album cuts, and their cameo in an Austin Powers film ("I'll Never Fall in Love Again").

Full information about the release is available on Costello's site:

Track Listing:

CD1 – Painted From Memory
1. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – In The Darkest Place (2023 Remaster)
2. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – Toledo (2023 Remaster)
3. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – I Still Have That Other Girl (2023 Remaster)
4. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – This House Is Empty Now (2023 Remaster)
5. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – Tears At The Birthday Party (2023 Remaster)
6. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – Such Unlikely Lovers (2023 Remaster)
7. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – My Thief (2023 Remaster)
8. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – The Long Division (2023 Remaster)
9. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – Painted From Memory (2023 Remaster)
10. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – The Sweetest Punch (2023 Remaster)
11. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – What’s Her Name Today? (2023 Remaster)
12. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – God Give Me Strength (2023 Remaster)

CD2 – Taken From Life
1.Elvis Costello – You Can Have Her *
2.Cassandra Wilson & Bill Frisell – Painted From Memory
3.Elvis Costello & The Imposters – Don’t Look Now
4.Elvis Costello & The Imposters – Everyone’s Playing House
5.Audra Mae – I Looked Away *
6.Elvis Costello & The Imposters – Taken From Life *
7.Don Byron & Bill Frisell – My Thief
8. Jenni Muldaur – Shameless *
9.Elvis Costello & The Imposters – Photographs Can Lie
10.Audra Mae – In The Darkest Place *
11.Elvis Costello & The Imposters – Why Won’t Heaven Help Me?
12.Jenni Muldaur – Stripping Paper *
13. Elvis Costello & The Imposters – He’s Given Me Things
14.Audra Mae – What’s Her Name Today? *
15.Elvis Costello – Look Up Again *
16.Burt Bacharach – Lie Back & Think Of England *

CD3 – Because It’s A Lonely World – Live
1. Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve – Toledo (Live In Tokyo, Japan, Nakano Sunplaza Hall – February 8, 1999) *
2. Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve – In The Darkest Place (Live In Melbourne, Australia, Athenaeum Theatre – February 16, 1999)
3. Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve – My Thief (Live In Tokyo, Japan, Shibuya Hall – February 10, 1999) *
4. Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve – I Still Have The Other Girl (Live In Tokyo, Japan, Shibuya Hall – February 10, 1999)
5. Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve – I’ll Never Fall In Love Again (Live In Toronto, Ontario, Massey Hall – June 16, 1999) *
6. Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve – God Give Me Strength (Live In Toronto, Ontario, Massey Hall – June 16, 1999) *
7. Elvis Costello, Steve Nieve & The Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra– Painted From Memory (Live In Stockholm, Sweden, Berwaldhallen – January 5, 1999) *
8. Elvis Costello, Steve Nieve & The Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra – What’s Her Name Today? (Live In Stockholm, Sweden, Berwaldhallen – January 5, 1999) *
9. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – This House Is Empty Now (Live In New York City, Late Night with Conan O’Brien – Nov. 27, 1998) *

CD4 – Costello Sings Bacharach & David
1.Elvis Costello & The Attractions – I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself (Live in Norwich, UK, University of East Anglia – October 17, 1977)
2.Elvis Costello & Nick Lowe – Baby It’s You
3.Elvis Costello – Please Stay
4.Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – I’ll Never Fall In Love Again
5.Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – Make It Easy On Yourself (Live in London, UK, Royal Festival Hall – October 29, 1998) *
6.Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – My Little Red Book (Live in London, UK, Royal Festival Hall – October 29, 1998) *
7.Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – Anyone Who Had A Heart (Live in London, UK, Royal Festival Hall – October 29, 1998) *
8.Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach – I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself (Live In New York City, Sessions at West 54th – October 18, 1998) *

* Previously Unreleased

The two LPs include the reissue of Painted from Memory across three sides, with the fourth side featuring six selections from Taken from Life. The LP set was mastered by the legendary Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering from the original tapes.

The two LP set will also be available separately, one a limited edition including a 12x12 lithograph of the duo.

A 2-CD set will also be available, featuring the first two CDs from the Super Deluxe set.

Available from Elvis Costello's official store:

All major streaming services will offer this release, including a high-res download from Qobuz (at 24-bit/96kHz, along with other formats):

Amazon will also have all three configurations (Super Deluxe, 2CD and 2LP):

Amazon product ASIN B0BQQZFL9R
Amazon product ASIN B0BQQ764J2
Amazon product ASIN B0BQQXL71D

as much as I have no use for the 2 LPs in this set, it was an immediate purchase for me.
The price for the box is steep, however this is one of my all time favorite albums and I gotta have it.

as much as I have no use for the 2 LPs in this set, it was an immediate purchase for me.
The price for the box is steep, however this is one of my all time favorite albums and I gotta have it.
I will probably get the hi-res digital download. It's possible there may be a PDF with Costello's essay as part of the download, which would be nice. I considered the big set myself just as a collectible, but like anything else, I'd rip the CDs and the set would go straight into storage. (If the LPs are in their own jacket{s}, I'd put those on the shelf; otherwise, I'd put them in generic jackets.) I'm trying to downsize, and buying additional clutter I'll only look at once or twice isn't worth it.

I'm betting that the LPs in this new release will sound better than the Mobile Fidelity pressing, which was somewhat botched in my opinion--they fit too many songs on one LP, and the inner tracks sound pinched. This new releases spreads the twelve tracks across three sides, and uses the fourth side for a selection of tracks from Taken from Life. MoFi should have done three or four sides also, even doing four sides as 45 RPM to get even better sound out of it. But also, this new set is a Universal release, so I'm sure corners will be cut and excellent LP mastering will be ruined by a poor vinyl pressing, as is usually the case. For that reason alone, I will not be buying the LPs.

As interesting as this sounds, I don't know if it'll be a purchase for me. A little Elvis goes a long way. Still, it IS a lot of Bacharach songs I've never heard, so....

Maybe I'll listen to it on the Amazon and then decide if I want to get it for the packaging or not. Cool packaging is always a good thing.

Cool packaging is always a good thing.
I am sucker for cool packaging and easily swayed by nice looking shiny things.

I too, am trying to keep a lid on physical purchases as I am getting older (and older) and care not to burden my heirs with my stuff.
Still, there are "essential" purchases which will always make the cut.

I too, am trying to keep a lid on physical purchases as I am getting older (and older) and care not to burden my heirs with my stuff.
Still, there are "essential" purchases which will always make the cut.
That was like the Herb Alpert LP box set for me--I really wanted it, but all I was really after was the book and for just a book, it would have been way too expensive. I already own all the music and have no interest to own another copy of all the songs, and for a book I'd only look at once every few years, it would be more pointless clutter I don't need. I feel the same about the Costello box--sure, I'd appreciate owning one, but since I would already be buying the download for the hi-res files, I would only be buying the physical box as a collector piece and again, would probably glance at it once every few years.

There are still a few things I'll buy, such as a limited edition vinyl pressing of a new album, especially if it directly supports the artist (buying it from their own web store, for instance). Or, if it is a must-own album and there's a superior vinyl pressing I should own. So it's not like I've totally cut off those special-edition purchases. I'm just a lot more picky about what I bring into the house. And the fewer purchases I make of these items, that leaves me more room (and cash) to buy the sealed new old stock records, or used records due to their rarity (where I can't find them sealed or digitally).

I have friends who go nuts every Record Store Day, and bringing home a couple dozen titles is the norm. One of them probably has over 5,000 records at this point and has several hundred, if not more, he's never listened to. But that's OK--that's his passion, and when he moved a year or so ago, I didn't have to help move all of those records. 😁

I worry about that, actually. In addition to my music /video horde, which is a ton of CDs, DVDs and BluRays, there's also all my model train stuff and about a zillion books. Unfortunately (for everyone related to me, that is) I love looking at the old stuff and have a very difficult time getting rid of stuff, especially if it's still usable.

It won't help if somebody puts the whole Bacharach / Costello package online for casual reading and looking; if it's cool enough I'll still want to get one!

No wonder I found my recent purchase of the original CD so cheap! :wink:
I don't think they are all that uncommon--there are 422 listed on Discogs at the moment (all releases), starting under $2. 🤫 But those are used copies.

A bit surprised, though, at the price of the MoFi LP--the 2017 pressing (my version) where one is for sale at $267.30, and the 2020 repress has 14 available starting at $170. It might be amusing to see if the prices drop after the new 2-LP version, but I doubt it. The cheapest MoFi SACD in the US is $75...but the highest price it ever sold for was $40.32.

I worry about that, actually. In addition to my music /video horde, which is a ton of CDs, DVDs and BluRays, there's also all my model train stuff and about a zillion books. Unfortunately (for everyone related to me, that is) I love looking at the old stuff and have a very difficult time getting rid of stuff, especially if it's still usable.
That is totally me, in a nutshell. If it's still good, I certainly don't want to throw it away. I have enough bits and pieces here to have a massive "living estate sale" (or perhaps I should call it a moving sale...and not move?). But I don't have the room to set up a sale--driveway and yard are too small, and I'd need a dozen or more tables even if I had the room. Yeah, I could make a few dollars selling what's here, but is it really worth it? I'd also lose a few days of work. And yeah, same thing on the sentimental aspect--some things I just couldn't part with. Although when you get to that point of frustration, you want to just start hauling the boxes out to the street on trash night, not even looking inside. If I haven't looked at or moved the box in 12 years, what makes me think I'd even miss it? I can't even find my glasses or my car keys, most days...

I think we need intervention! 😂

While I was writing the post yesterday, Amazon delivered the Lee Morgan "Lighthouse" box set. Perhaps there is no hope for me.

I have the first Bacharach/Costello album Painted From Memory on cassette due to a friend of mine and it was/is a very beautiful "album". It seems that Costello loved the Bacharach of old (the sixties sound; my favorite Bacharach era as well) and returned him to that classic Bacharach sound. They also did a PBS concert Special as a promotion for the album and interviews in between the performances. I honestly didn't know that they did a follow up album(or albums) to the Memory album and also didn't know about any plans for a Broadway production from the CD.

Also, the album has sort of a "concept album" if you will feel to it; the songs talk about being in a relationship with all the ups and downs that come with it and Bacharach/Costello more or less alluded to that fact in the interview they did for the special. All in all, a gorgeous album with the classic Bacharach sound and Elvis Costello far removed from his "punk rock" roots to a more mature sound with mature lyrics to boot. Also, before I leave, I'd like to send out my condolences to the Bacharach family and his friends; I would say fans as well but being that I'm one of his fans it would be probably be like sending out condolences to myself as well. Thank you Mr.Bacharach for your lovely melodies and songs whether they were sung by Dionne Warwick, Herb Alpert, The Carpenters, Dusty Springfield, Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 or even Elvis Costello you brought joy to the world and made a lot of people happy with the gift God gave you, the gift of music; music that will be here til most likely the end of time. Thanks again and Rest In Power, Maestro.

My set arrived yesterday and is very nice indeed.
The booklets are great (Costello's essay is nicely done).
Have not made my way through all 4 CDs yet, and the LPs will never get played as I no longer own a TT.

Still a great and poignant release in light of Mr. Bacharach's recent passing,

Although when you get to that point of frustration, you want to just start hauling the boxes out to the street on trash night, not even looking inside. If I haven't looked at or moved the box in 12 years, what makes me think I'd even miss it? I can't even find my glasses or my car keys, most days...

Same here. Although, whenever I "do" throw something out, inevitably I wish I had kept it for some reason later on; or worse, I forget that I threw it out and drive myself nuts looking for it.

After reading rbisherw's description of the Bacharach/Costello box I'm now more tempted to buy it.

I'm convinced there is not a good vinyl release of the Bacharach/Costello recordings.

The Mobile Fidelity has a richer sound and is more involving, but they squeezed too much time onto a side of vinyl. So, the songs closer to the center sound pinched. It should have been cut across three or four sides. (And if four sides, they could have done it at 45 RPM.)

I've gotten a copy of the 2-LP set that was mastered by Bob Ludwig. It's mastered bright, and it seems lifeless in comparison. I'm betting it was cut from digital, as it has that same lifeless quality as a couple other UMe titles I've purchased in the past.

Since it's not labelled correctly (A and B-side labels are swapped on the first record), and without the SugarCube it has too many ticks throughout, I am going to return this one to Amazon as defective. I don't want it. Typical UMe screw-up with vinyl. 🙄

Back
Top Bottom