🎤 Interview The "Third" Carpenter: A Conversation with John Bettis, Part 1

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Songwriter Hall of Fame inductee John Bettis has written number-one hit songs for many artists, to include Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, The Pointer Sisters and Madonna. However, in this first of a two-part interview, we very candidly and exclusively discuss his co-writing partnership with Richard Carpenter of the famous brother-sister duo Carpenters, as well as talk about how many of the hits were constructed, including John's relationship with both Richard and Karen and what went on behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Without giving away *too* much, the second half is very, very good. We talked in depth about Karen's solo album, the feelings about it with all people involved (especially Richard). We also talked at length about Little Girl Blue, and John's feelings about its content etc plus several other nuggets of info (including some knock down, drag out fights). Stay tuned... :wink:

Without giving away *too* much, the second half is very, very good. We talked in depth about Karen's solo album, the feelings about it with all people involved (especially Richard). We also talked at length about Little Girl Blue, and John's feelings about its content etc plus several other nuggets of info (including some knock down, drag out fights). Stay tuned... :wink:

So lots of speculation can finally be put to rest? Won't that be nice! :)
Great interview, very interesting to hear John's perspective. Looking forward to Part 2. Thanks for your efforts.

Great job Chris. Looking forward to part 2.

Thanks guys! Incidentally we rolled tape for close to an hour and a half, so it will be a bit of a chore editing down the back half of the interview because there was just so much ground covered, especially when we started talking solo album, the Schmidt bio etc.

Brilliant stuff, Chris. He's the perfect interviewee. . .38 songs. . .all the precise info.

If you have to leave off too many nuggets, is there anyway to share the extra raw material with us addicts?

Brilliant stuff, Chris. He's the perfect interviewee. . .38 songs. . .all the precise info.

If you have to leave off too many nuggets, is there anyway to share the extra raw material with us addicts?

Oh of course! Part of it is just he and I shooting the breeze but the rest of the interview is pretty content-heavy. Trust me, nothing will go left unheard :wink:

Classic teaser, Chris. :D

HA!! Actually I lied about all of that - What we really talked about was what he thought about A&M Corner and its administrative staff!! LOL

So, how much is he asking to keep quiet?? :D

Although in reality, it's more like, "A&M what?"

So, how much is he asking to keep quiet?? :D

Although in reality, it's more like, "A&M what?"
Tune in next time! Carpenters fans! For the next exciting adventure: Karen and Richard! Intrigue and mystery! A twist and a nugget!

Same Carp time; same Carp channel!!!

Chris was the interview all done in 1 phone call or was this spread out over several days? In addition what is the date or dates of the interview.

The interview was taped yesterday morning at 8:30 PST and we spoke for about an hour-and-a-half - all in one conversation to answer your question :wink:

I think it's champion with John acknowledging Richards' innate talents so selflessly. What a nice friend who in part 1 of the interview certainly seems free of ego yet booming with creativity. Very nice job done Mr. May! I appreciate you sourcing these cats from back in the day. If nothing else my appreciation for the total product CarpenterS is intrigued once more.

Thank you Chris,

Jeff

I think it's champion with John acknowledging Richards' innate talents so selflessly. What a nice friend who in part 1 of the interview certainly seems free of ego yet booming with creativity. Very nice job done Mr. May! I appreciate you sourcing these cats from back in the day. If nothing else my appreciation for the total product CarpenterS is intrigued once more.

Thank you Chris,

Jeff

Absolutely, Jeff--I particularly loved John's forever-youthful enthusiasm for Richard's gifts as songwriter, arranger, producer, and player--particularly that last one, which due to the direction that Carpenters music took became less prominent (and as a result not as well-remembered). As a songwriting team, those two guys were gold right from the get-go--it's simply stunning to consider that "Eve" was just the third song they wrote together!

Many thanks, Chris...for all you do, this uplifted glass (iced tea, of course!!) is for you...

:bow:

Back
Top Bottom