The time warp that is the Carpenters

kprather

In less than a month, I will have outlived Karen Carpenter. As I listen to their music lately, I struggle to wrap my mind around the fact that Karen was younger than me when she sang all these amazing songs.

In particular songs like "You're the One," "Touch Me When We're Dancing," and "I Believe You." The maturity of these songs, the evolution of Karen's voice and Richard's arrangements, and the fact that they were done late in Karen's life, leads me to forget that Karen was barely turning thirty when she sang them. I imagine a Karen and Richard in their fifties doing these songs.

Ariana Grande is older today than Karen was when she recorded "Passage." Taylor Swift has already outlived Karen.

Time is a strange thing.

I was 16 when Karen Carpenter died and I didn't even know about it. I started enjoying Karen Carpenter's music about 4 months ago! No, really. It is amazing to me that Karen Carpenter didn't live as long as Elvis Presley.

Speaking of the maturity of Karen's voice, about a month ago, while binging on Carpenters/Karen Carpenters YouTube videos, I stumbled on "California Dreamin'." To think that Karen sang those vocals at age 17. Wow.

I am not only a new Carpenters fan (with less than a year of being a fan), I am an unusual fan because my favorite band is Jethro Tull and my other favorites are Elton John, The Cars and ZZ Top, though I admit that I am a huge Gordon Lightfoot and a huge fan of Joni Mitchell. But I never thought that the Carpenters had any music that I would appreciate. I was wrong. I found "new" music.

I was 16 when Karen Carpenter died and I didn't even know about it. I started enjoying Karen Carpenter's music about 4 months ago! No, really. It is amazing to me that Karen Carpenter didn't live as long as Elvis Presley.

Speaking of the maturity of Karen's voice, about a month ago, while binging on Carpenters/Karen Carpenters YouTube videos, I stumbled on "California Dreamin'." To think that Karen sang those vocals at age 17. Wow.

I am not only a new Carpenters fan (with less than a year of being a fan), I am an unusual fan because my favorite band is Jethro Tull and my other favorites are Elton John, The Cars and ZZ Top, though I admit that I am a huge Gordon Lightfoot and a huge fan of Joni Mitchell. But I never thought that the Carpenters had any music that I would appreciate. I was wrong. I found "new" music.
I was 15 when Karen died but was a huge fan really since I could remember. I was three when Close to You came out and I remember it! My second-favorite is Gordon Lightfoot. I made sure that after Karen passed to make sure I would see Gordon Lightfoot "live" as I never had the opportunity to see Carpenters live. So I did, at least 5 times. I even met him twice. I've since met Richard on many, many occasions. Karen's passing was the motivation to see the "greats" while we can.

Welcome to the Boards! Always nice to have new folks here.

Here's another time-bender for you.

The songs used in the Now & Then "Oldies Medley" were only eleven years old at the most when they were recorded (ranging from 1962-1964).

Hit songs that are eleven years old today include Adele's "Rolling in the Deep," Lady Gaga's "The Edge of Glory," and Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night."

Back
Top Bottom