🎄 Holidays! The TJB Christmas Album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
{Moved from the CHRISTMAS ALBUM song ranking thread}

I thought about this overnight, and realized I couldn't possibly rank the tunes on the CHRISTMAS ALBUM, as all are truly favorites. It's such a joy each year to put this album on - and each track holds a special place in my heart, bringing back memories of lots of past Christmases.

So instead, I'll simply list the versions of the album I've gotten over the years.

1. - LP - SP 4166 - The first copy of the album that I got during its release week. What a treat it was to listen to then, just as it is now. I was impressed with the color photograph on the back of the album. Looking at it now, even reproduced in the new liner notes though, that photo was a bit underexposed, wasn't it?

2. - LP - SP 3113 - A surprise one year in the early '80s when I saw this in the racks at the local record store. I was really surprised to see it with a new cover design, with the white border and now black & white photo on the back. This one didn't have the signature representations of the earlier release, but it did at least print out the band members original names under the photo. I bought this one to replace my aging copy from the '60's, and it served for a couple of years before...

3. - CD - CD 3113 - A CD replica of SP 3113, with the white border, released in the mid '80s. This was a joy to find and was among my earliest CD purchases. I recalled being thrilled to hear these great tunes on the new-fangled CD player, and it made me eager to own more of the Alpert catalog in the new format. Thankfully, I bought everything I could find back then.

4. - CD - 544 327-2 - A CD copy from Europe with the altered title of HERB ALPERT & HIS TIJUANA BRASS AT CHRISTMAS. This one was put out by Spectrum Music with a date on it of 2000. I think I picked it up used either at a used store or on eBay. I got it at one of those periods in the last few years when the album was really out of print and I wanted a copy with the different title, just to add to the collection. As such, it's just a bit of a curiosity, but it sounds like a clone of the '60's disc.

5. - CD - DK 34411 - The Shout! Factory CD release from two years ago. This is, of course, the currently available version out there. It's the only Shout!-Alpert release that I haven't yet picked up a duplicate for. I think it's because I just don't often see it in the racks at a time when $15 or so seems reasonable for a duplicate! It was nice to see the original full-picture cover restored for this release, but one wishes they'd have come up with a bonus track or two, even if it was just the "bell" version of "Jingle Bell Rock" from ¡SOMETHING FESTIVE!

No-one's mentioned it in this thread yet, so I will. I've heard a number of people over the years mention that they dislike the Shorty Rogers choral vocals added to many of the tracks. I think they're perfect and wouldn't change a thing.

Harry
...not picking favorites out of perferction, online...

I still have vivid memories of my first time seeing the album. It was before we sold LPs (we only had 8-tracks then) at my day job. I was heading to the local department store to just casually look over their LP racks, and was thinking "I wonder why the TJB doesn't have a Christmas album, that would be good." Then walking into the store and THERE IT WAS! Needless to say I bought it then and there.

I played that record for two or three years and then one year when I went to take it out of the wrapper ...it was broken! I was sure one of my TJB-hating sisters had done the deed but never found out what really happened for sure. So I was very happy when the reissue and later the CD came out.

Aside: I like the vocal choruses too - except the one on "Sleigh Ride," it just doesn't ring with me. But it would be weird now to hear the song without it!

After going from one vinyl copy to the next, (including obtaining a Still-Sealed copy along the way) I heard "Let It Snow" playing in a store a couple of years ago when the CD reissue came out, I did NOT recognize this as being Herb's Christmas Album (from not having heard it for a while) but something (from the Vocal Choruses) by Ray Conniff or what Percy Faith would do...! I headed straight for the EZ list'nin' section looking for "the source of what was playing" 'til something a lot more familiar from this album came on, then of course I asked about it...! And then bought my very copy on CD right then and there...

Dave

I had as many as four CDs of this a few months ago, but sold two of them, which were the original U.S. issue. My first pressing CD version is a West German, which has the white border cover, released probably in 1984 or 1985...except that the front cover art has larger colored text than the U.S. versions did. I remember buying this one at a local audio store (CDs weren't "mainstream" in record stores at that time, and few carried imports) and being excited to see a TJB album on CD.

I picked up the remaster from Yourmusic.com, but unfortunately it came in a jewel case (with compressed artwork--DigiPak art is wider). So, I still need to buy the official Shout! Factory version in DigiPak.

My folks owned the LP, but I bought my own used copy a few years ago on the tan label. I really need to go through a few more to find one that's a bit cleaner and perhaps is a better pressing. (This one is a bit dull.)

Dittos Harry, I'm in total agreement here regarding the Shorty Rogers choral intros to the tunes on Christmas album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom