The Tokyo Blues

Which version do you prefer?

• Horace Silver (from the album The Tokyo Blues)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Cal Tjader (with Lalo Schifrin, from Several Shades of Jade)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Tito Puente (from Royal 'T')

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Lalo Schifrin (from Intersections: Jazz Meets the Orchestra)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dee Dee Bridgewater (from Love and Peace--A Tribute to Horace Silver)

• Octons (from the Nicola Conte presents Viagem 3 compilation)

• Total voters

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Just for fun, here's an interesting comparison. I've been working through an article on Cal Tjader and was looking to pick a track to feature from Several Shades of Jade. Turns out there are a few other versions out there and of course, Horace Silver's original. I've picked some out to listen to and vote on.

Cal Tjader's album Several Shades of Jade tackles a few "Eastern" themes, and pulls it off well thanks to participation by Lalo Schifrin.

Tito Puente put a spin on the tune on his Royal T album.

Lalo Schifrin also recorded a version in 2000, which borrows against his original arrangement for Cal Tjader's album.

An...unusual version with a lyric, featuring Dee Dee Bridgewater:

Remixer and jazz guitarist Nicola Conte released a series of obscure Brazilian Bossa Nova and samba tracks from the 60s, including a version of this tune by a group called Octons.

I go with Horace. As more of a pop excursion (which many of the Verves really were), I like the Tjader (but if you put up Breeze from the East out here I'm leaving😵). I really liked the Puente and all things considered I'd probably take that one, but I'm biased toward the '60s bag. Didn't much care for the others and I passed on the vocal after about 10 seconds.

Yeah, the vocal version (from a Horace Silver tribute, no less) did nothing for me either.

Breeze from the East is..."a dumb album" (Cal Tjader's words for it). Thankfully there are a couple of good tracks from it (like "Black Orchid" and "Poinciana" which are essentially just the Tjader combo), but the Stan Applebaum orchestrated tracks are too kitschy and faux-Oriental.

Back
Top Bottom