The Turtles & more in KFC's hometown

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Most street festivals in tourist towns might have an Elvis impersonator or two hanging around. Not so in Corbin, KY. There you're more likely to see someone in a white suit with matching hair and beard walking around. That's because Corbin is where Col. Harlan Sanders fried his first chicken, and an annual street festival commemorates the event, attracting tourists and colonol impersonators alike.
On Friday I made a short trip up I-75 to walk through town, eat some yummy food, and hear a free show by Flo & Eddie, better known as Howard Kaylon and Mark Volman of the Turtles.
After the show, Mr. Volman asked where I'd found one of my albums - and could he borrow it to make a copy of some songs he didn't have. I said sure, why not, and wrote my address inside the sleeve. He said he'd send the disc back soon with a tied-dyed shirt and other memorabilia. Way cool.
The A&M connection? The Turtles Rhino Greatest Hits album was issued in Canada as SP 9088 (silver label). Here's Friday's setlist:
You, Baby/ Dirty Water (Standells' tune)/ It Ain't Me Babe/ Blue Bayou/ I'm in a Dancing Mood/ Gloria (Van Morrison tune)/ Can I Get to Know You Better?/ You Showed Me/ Eleanor -- covered by BMB on SP 4167/ My Girl/ Like a Rolling Stone/ Hang on Sloopy- La Bamba medley/ Twist & Shout/ She'd Rather be with me/ Happy Together.
Naturally, this was a treat, but there was more to come as the Classic Rock All-Stars followed. The name may not ring a bell but the individuals are well-known: Mike Pinera of Iron Butterfly/Blues Image; Jerry Corbetta of Sugarloaf ("Green Eyed Lady"); Peter Rivera of Rare Earth; Dennis Noda of Cannibal & the Headhunters ("Land of 1000 Dances") -- and special guest star Spencer Davis ("Gimme Some Lovin'").
Included in their set were standards by their respective groups, such as "In a Gadda Da Vida," "I Just Want to Celebrate," "Don't Call Us" and "Ride Capt. Ride."
Since the festival is held each year, I definitely want to go back next time to see who shows up. Another example of good things showing up in unlikely places.
JB

www.theturtles.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom