The Voice of Karen Carpenter

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

We have so many new members here lately and I find that awesome. I hope some will take the time to share their story on this thread.

I’d like to hear why you were and still are drawn to the voice of Karen Carpenter. What is it about her voice that you may think is the greatest female voice in music history. Since most of what we hear vocally from their albums is Karen, I’d like to concentrate more on her (as the voice) that peaked your attention. What makes her voice so special for you?

For me, it was the sadness and melancholy in the songs, the way she can deliver a song that I could immediately identify. Songs like Rainy Days And Mondays, Goodbye to Love, then the album cuts that speak of love and hope. It’s the song of how she needs to be in Love. When I first heard that song...I wondered how she knew I felt the same way. The way she sings lyrics like “pockets full of good intentions” and “there’s no word for the sadness, there’s no poetry in the pain” and “my heart has overtaken me with feelings you awaken me” and “look to your dreams, tomorrow may be better for you and me”….I could go on and on but it’s not just the lyrics but the way she expresses them, her delivery...soft yet so in control, sometimes sad but it brings warmth to my ears and heart.

I wanted to know more about this singer and that caused me to collect more and more. When I discovered some of her personal life…I could identify with that as well maybe at times not being strong enough to make decisions you may really want to accomplish. I could never live without the songs she and Richard created and I could not live without her voice in my life.

Tell me why her voice is so special for you.

Hers was the first voice I remember hearing. She's part of my earliest childhood memory. I was privileged to have brought her a little joy during the hardest time of her life and she has repaid me a million times over with the music she left for us, as well as the impact she made on the world as a person.

I first really heard her on We've Only Just Begun. There was a warmth along with the innocence that captivated me. When I heard the album, I was a fan. Once Rainy Days came out, I heard the depth and longing in her voice. All those factors in one voice? I couldn't believe it. I was hooked for life. (More details- Look here.) Each album revealed more of what that voice could convey. Still amazing after almost 50 years from first listen! (And she remains THE voice of Christmas.)

I’ve loved that voice since i was very little and “We’ve Only Just Begun” was my first taste of her as well. Her voice is just the warmest I’ve ever heard from anyone - male or female. That warmth was rarely compromised and could overcome bad tunes and odd production choices. It was her warmth that got me and keeps me to this moment.

Ed

^what he said :)
I think there`s a common theme with a lot of us, the fact we grew up hearing her and I guess even as kids, that voice just grabs hold of your soul!
I heard something said a while back, `There are great singers out there, but few amazing singers`
i think it`s amazing that an artist can command that level of achievement, so for the artist themselves ...... wow.
The thing is, you don`t just hear the music, but you have to `listen` to it and Karen just has that all sewn up, because she just sings the song, not like the screaming you hear today.
for me, her voice does the rest, you can feel the emotion in the songs.

I first really heard her on We've Only Just Begun. There was a warmth along with the innocence that captivated me. When I heard the album, I was a fan. Once Rainy Days came out, I heard the depth and longing in her voice. All those factors in one voice? I couldn't believe it. I was hooked for life. (More details- Look here.) Each album revealed more of what that voice could convey. Still amazing after almost 50 years from first listen! (And she remains THE voice of Christmas.)
Mark that was awesome I read it all from your link. It was cool to read how you were influenced and how you came to hear CTY. I like the part where you said

“Karen's contralto shines chocolatey rich, velvety smooth, golden as honey. Pick your favorite. They all apply.”

I laughed.. so true the song that immediately popped in my head when your said velvety smooth was Do You Hear What I Hear? Her vocals are like butter, like woven silk.

I loved the pics and promo ads, thanks for the shout out! :)

^what he said :)
I think there`s a common theme with a lot of us, the fact we grew up hearing her and I guess even as kids, that voice just grabs hold of your soul!
I heard something said a while back, `There are great singers out there, but few amazing singers`
i think it`s amazing that an artist can command that level of achievement, so for the artist themselves ...... wow.
The thing is, you don`t just hear the music, but you have to `listen` to it and Karen just has that all sewn up, because she just sings the song, not like the screaming you hear today.
for me, her voice does the rest, you can feel the emotion in the songs.
Perfectly said and I agree 100%

Having studied singing, I often listen to Karen's voice from a 'technical' point of view. Not only did she have the most unusual and beautiful timbre, she had practically 100% accuracy in terms of pitch and, most amazing of all, her breath control was just stunning. Most singers have something to offer, in maybe one or two of these qualities, but to have ALL this and emotional depth too is VERY rare. On some level, it's something only other vocalists can appreciate.

Most singers have something to offer, in maybe one or two of these qualities, but to have ALL this and emotional depth too is VERY rare.

Spot on!
The one thing that has always stuck with me, is `SUPERSTAR` and the fact she read that song, then got up and sang it in one take, which is the video to the track we see .......... AMAZING!

Having studied singing, I often listen to Karen's voice from a 'technical' point of view. Not only did she have the most unusual and beautiful timbre, she had practically 100% accuracy in terms of pitch and, most amazing of all, her breath control was just stunning. Most singers have something to offer, in maybe one or two of these qualities, but to have ALL this and emotional depth too is VERY rare. On some level, it's something only other vocalists can appreciate.

I'm so glad that you included the word "timbre" in your comments. When I read or hear that word, I automatically think of Karen Carpenter. To me, she was the female equivalent of Nat King Cole.

When I was a kid, I used to play the accordion. (No jokes, please !) To play that instrument well, you need to know when to switch the direction of the bellows. And I learned that - believe it or not - by listening to Karen's phrasing. When a singer takes a breath, a good accordionist will switch the direction of the bellows. You can think of the bellows as being like a set of human lungs. By the way, I'm happy to report that by following Karen's example I usually did quite well in music competitions. Sadly, I rarely play the instrument anymore. But one of these days ...

^^ No jokes here, the accordion is an AWESOME instrument! I am memorized by people that can play it well.

Back
Top Bottom