The "What Are You Listening To Right Now?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMAR5 said:
Rudy,
Canto is good, but very different. Gino has a great voice.

I'm behind on a few of his recordings. Need to catch up. :agree:

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
DTS of Captain and Tennille??? Where's that come from. Do tell...

Ed

Most likely, a quad collector recorded it to digital and converted to DTS.

seashorepiano said:
...NP: Ye-Me-Le... ...Still can't fully get into this album... ...The "twilight" of Brasil '66 for me, I guess...

After the "new dawning" on Crystal Illusions, I can understand... Ye-Me-Le clearly is Crystal...'s Polar Oposite...

As for "What I'm listening to now?", it's Mickey Newbury's Rusty Tracks on CD as part of his Box-Set, Complete Recordings 1969-1981, and unfortunately as part of a "two-fer" with its follow-up, His Eye Is On The Sparrow, which along with his last two recordings on the next and final disc, The Sailor and After All These Years, a bit disappointing...

As far as I'm concerned Rusty Tracks seems to be "where his career ended", or, rather, "a good place to stop", since that along with his Complete RCA Recordings, Plus and some of his LP's from his Elektra years, each on one disc in his Box-Set ('Cept for the Live One, which I gave away) are all I can easily listen to and fully enjoy... Even though a few songs in his final three outings seem to offer some enjoyment, as does his first album in the set on Mercury (after he was with RCA) which I also don't often play...

Maybe I'm getting to where I'm experiencing albums or songs that are getting "less play", though to me, that still means "I don't like 'em"...

Dave

200px-WeFive.jpg

Herbie Hancock: Head Hunters SACD, in surround. :thumbsup: On "Chameleon", Herbie's solo in the last half of the song is out of the rear speakers.

Today's vehicle CD: the new Bill Engvall, '15 DEGREES OFF COOL,' to be followed by a CD I made from Jake Johannsen's "This Will Take About An Hour," classic HBO special that's now on YouTube.

Rosie Vela: "Zazu". Arrived at A&M in 1986, and sank without a trace. Even the all-star cast (Gary Katz producing; Donald Fagen, Walter Becker, Rick Derringer, Jimmy Haslip, Larry Fast, Jim Keltner, and others) didn't rescue it from obscurity. Closest thing to a Steely Dan reunion we had in 1986...

Rudy said:
Herbie Hancock: Head Hunters SACD, in surround. :thumbsup: On "Chameleon", Herbie's solo in the last half of the song is out of the rear speakers.

Whether or not one (generally speaking) disapproves of the bulk of Hancock's work of the '70s, "Chameleon" is essential listening. Superb clavinet work. In fact, I enjoy the first side of his 1978 album Sunlight, despite all the effects of the era on that one (vocoder, etc.).

audiofile said:
As long as it's not as bad as "Rockit." :D

Hey, I LIKE that song! :mad: :laugh: As jazz...no, it doesn't cut it. But as it came out with a lot of other funk and R&B that I listened to at the time, it held up admirably. Its peers were songs like Chaka Khan's "I Feel For You", Dazz Band's "Whip It", and even some of Madonna's earliest dance singles. I have a concert video of Hancock's band during this time--it's the only one I've ever seen that had a DJ "scratching" on two turntables onstage at a jazz concert!

"Chameleon" is indeed a crossover of funk and jazz, but despite the early synthesizers and other electronic keyboards, it is very stripped down and still very jazz-friendly, IMHO. Still plenty of good soloing by Hancock on these songs. I'm trying to think of another album that it sounds like, just to give a point of reference. It is more stripped down than any of Miles' post-"Bitches Brew" albums.

I only first heard this album when I got the SACD. And I didn't even know it was surround until I was playing it one day, and noticed that some of the parts were missing. (I'd just changed my SACD player to default to the multichannel mode, not stere.) So, it was a bit of a surprise. It's a cool surround mix, in a sort of 70's/quad sort of way. :D

Playing here: XM5 (50s). Danny & The Juniors, "Rock and Roll Is Here To Stay". AKA, "let's redo 'At The Hop'". :laugh:

Cal Tjader: Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & 2 (Fantasy CD).

While we're on Cal Tjader, let's point out to his three LP's on the late- Gary McFarland's Skye label... Solar Heat, which actually kicked off the Jazz label-Series still ranks as my all-time favorite, while the other two, Cal Tjader Sounds Out Burt Bacharach, an all-Bacharach songbook album, and the Live Disc, Cal Tjader Plugs In are just as equally good...

Get all THREE of these works and Be Thrilled!!! :thumbsup:

Dave

I'm thinking of making a complete Cal Tjader library. But then again, there are so many artists I want to do that for.

audiofile said:
I'm thinking of making a complete Cal Tjader library. But then again, there are so many artists I want to do that for.

If you include his albums, you're probably looking at about 80 or so titles. This does not count his gigs as a sideman with Dave Brubeck, or George Shearing. He was with Fantasy twice (50s and 70s), Verve in the 60s, made three on the Skye label, and was with Concord in the 80s. Many, but not all, are on CD. And clean vinyl of any of his albums is hard to find.

Stravinsky: Firebird Suite. Boston Symphony Orch., Seiji Ozawa, cond. RCA Red Seal--reel to reel copy. :thumbsup:

Rudy said:
Stravinsky: Firebird Suite.

If you really want to hear this piece, try Tomita's version! I wish I had this in SACD. I do have Pictures At An Exhibition by Tomita in SACD, and it's spectacular!

Capt. Bacardi

Rudy said:
audiofile said:
As long as it's not as bad as "Rockit." :D

Hey, I LIKE that song! :mad: :laugh: As jazz...no, it doesn't cut it. But as it came out with a lot of other funk and R&B that I listened to at the time, it held up admirably.

"Rockit" was okay - the video was a lot better. But I really dug "Autodrive" from the same album. That song really grooved!

Rudy said:
"Chameleon" is indeed a crossover of funk and jazz, but despite the early synthesizers and other electronic keyboards, it is very stripped down and still very jazz-friendly, IMHO.

I first this tune done by Maynard when I was in high school. Every trumpeter was trying to nail those high notes! As for Hancock's version, I should get it in SACD. My favorite song was "Sly". Herbie and drummer Harvey Mason kicked some major a$$ on that tune!

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Jeff Berlin & Vox Humana - Champion

Dave said:
While we're on Cal Tjader, let's point out to his three LP's on the late- Gary McFarland's Skye label... Solar Heat, which actually kicked off the Jazz label-Series still ranks as my all-time favorite, while the other two, Cal Tjader Sounds Out Burt Bacharach, an all-Bacharach songbook album, and the Live Disc, Cal Tjader Plugs In are just as equally good...

Get all THREE of these works and Be Thrilled!!! :thumbsup:

Dave

Glad to see some Tjader discussion. I recently listened to his Verve album with Eddie Palmieri, el sonido nuevo, and was very disappointed. I'm definitely more inclined to bossa nova than straight-ahead Latin jazz. There were some bonus tracks, one of which, "Fuji," now appears on the 2-LP/1-CD release Several Shades of Jade and Breeze from the East, both which were on Verve, and which I might look into getting at some point. Soul Sauce and Soul Burst are superb. I haven't listened to any of his Fantasy recordings. Solar Heat didn't send me, though "Fried Bananas" was very good (and also appears on Benny Golson's Tune in, Turn on to the Hippest Commercials of the Sixties).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom