Those Good Old Dreams - 2 mixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John from Aus

I've seen a few references to the 2 different mixes of Those Good Old Dreams, but my ear hasn't been able to detect the difference on any of the CDs I own. Can someone tell me on which CDs I'd find each of the two mixes?

To my knowledge, there's only one CD on which you can hear the original vinyl mix of "Those Good Old Dreams," and that's on the 1984 CD set from the UK titled YESTERDAY ONCE MORE. Note that this is an entirely different collection than the U.S. release of the same title.

Aside from that exceedingly rare CD, you'll have to play the original LP or cassette from 1981 to hear the original mix. All other releases have the remix, including all CD versions of MADE IN AMERICA.

David

davidgra said:
To my knowledge, there's only one CD on which you can hear the original vinyl mix of "Those Good Old Dreams," and that's on the 1984 CD set from the UK titled YESTERDAY ONCE MORE. Note that this is an entirely different collection than the U.S. release of the same title.

Aside from that exceedingly rare CD, you'll have to play the original LP or cassette from 1981 to hear the original mix. All other releases have the remix, including all CD versions of MADE IN AMERICA.

David

Actually David, there's one other place on a "shiny silver disc" to hear the original album mix - it's on the soundtrack of the YESTERDAY ONCE MORE/GOLD DVD compilation.

There are two different mixes, both emanating from the same basic track. On the original MADE IN AMERICA LP, at around the 3:36 mark into "Those Good Old Dreams", you'll hear a high-pitch sustained "whine" from a synthesizer (after the final "...and it's all because of you."), leading to four more short descending notes on the synth as the track goes into its final instrumental mode to fade-out.

That version of the track also occurs on the British LP (and the rare CD) of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (SING1).

And it's used as the video soundtrack on the now commonly called GOLD collection, originally released as YESTERDAY ONCE MORE in the old VHS/LaserDisc era,

All other CDs use what I'd call the single mix. That one gets to a slightly different sounding synth "whine" at 3:36, and then the synth is gone. This one was used on the original single and every other CD out there.

Harry

Harry said:
davidgra said:

David

Harry,

I'm curious as to why the original mix wasn't used for the 30th anniversary classic remasters? I thought all of those CD's contained the exact same mixes as the original LP's. Do you have any idea why the remix for 'Those Good Old Dreams' was used and not the orginal vinyl mix?

Actually David, there's one other place on a "shiny silver disc" to hear the original album mix - it's on the soundtrack of the YESTERDAY ONCE MORE/GOLD DVD compilation.

Is this the same thing as you mention below. Meaning the old VHS of 'Yesterday Once More' and the Gold DVD that came out in the US in 2002?

There are two different mixes, both emanating from the same basic track. On the original MADE IN AMERICA LP, at around the 3:36 mark into "Those Good Old Dreams", you'll hear a high-pitch sustained "whine" from a synthesizer (after the final "...and it's all because of you."), leading to four more short descending notes on the synth as the track goes into its final instrumental mode to fade-out.

That version of the track also occurs on the British LP (and the rare CD) of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (SING1).

I looked at David's site and couldn't find the Yesterday Once More CD unless you are referring to the one David mentioned the 2 CD version that came out in 1984 before the remixed version?

And it's used as the video soundtrack on the now commonly called GOLD collection, originally released as YESTERDAY ONCE MORE in the old VHS/LaserDisc era,

Again so that's the VHS and the newer 2002 DVD? Weird that Richard would allow that on the VHS and DVD but not on the remastered classics CD.

Thanks

Scott

All other CDs use what I'd call the single mix. That one gets to a slightly different sounding synth "whine" at 3:36, and then the synth is gone. This one was used on the original single and every other CD out there.

Harry

scottb said:
I'm curious as to why the original mix wasn't used for the 30th anniversary classic remasters? I thought all of those CD's contained the exact same mixes as the original LP's. Do you have any idea why the remix for 'Those Good Old Dreams' was used and not the orginal vinyl mix?

Though the REMASTERED CLASSICS have largely contained bonafide original mixes, there are exceptions, and this is one of them. Richard has never been one to pass up a good "tweak". I recall doing a side-by-side comparison on one of the early albums REMASTERED CLASSIC and hearing some elements in the stereo soundfield that had been moved around slightly. So there are at least on occasion, minor differences.

Is this the same thing as you mention below. Meaning the old VHS of 'Yesterday Once More' and the Gold DVD that came out in the US in 2002?

Yes. The original 1985 ice-blue video package called YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, re-released in Asia in the early 90's as ONLY YESTERDAY, and finally re-released on DVD as GOLD in several different packages. All use the same audio soundtrack emanating from 1985.

I looked at David's site and couldn't find the Yesterday Once More CD unless you are referring to the one David mentioned the 2 CD version that came out in 1984 before the remixed version?

It's the silver-packaged album and CD that came out in the UK 1984.

http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/yesterdayuk.html

Again so that's the VHS and the newer 2002 DVD? Weird that Richard would allow that on the VHS and DVD but not on the remastered classics CD.

Richard seems to have some strong feelings about the use of the synthesizer, particularly on this track. He's obviously gone to great lengths to use the single mix wherever possible. I guess he felt that an old video compilation's soundtrack would never be used by radio or whatever, so it wasn't important enough to re-do the audio portion of the whole DVD program for just that one song.

Harry

Harry said:
scottb said:

Though the REMASTERED CLASSICS have largely contained bonafide original mixes, there are exceptions, and this is one of them. Richard has never been one to pass up a good "tweak". I recall doing a side-by-side comparison on one of the early albums REMASTERED CLASSIC and hearing some elements in the stereo soundfield that had been moved around slightly. So there are at least on occasion, minor differences.

Well I never realized that. I can't remember when the REMASTERED CLASSICS came out exactly how it was advertised. If any advertisements said 'original vinyl mixes'? I know on the back inlay it said 'Digitally remastered by Richard Carpenter and Bernie Grundman from the original source (or master- can't recall) tapes".

Most reissues that are remastered from the original LP tapes are remastered from the 2 track (stereo) master tapes. So with the Synth being different on 'Those Gold Old Dreams' and your side by side comparison on one of the early albums and the fact that you heard some elements in the stero sound field moved around slightly would mean that either Richard went to the 2 track remix master tapes for those songs that he did earlier or when Richard and Bernie did the remastering specifically for the REMASTERED CLASSICS they went to the multi track tapes for some of the songs.

Again without seeing just how the REMASTERED CLASSICS was advertised I can't comment accurately. However if they were advertised as original LP mixes then Richard really goofed up. I know Richard can't stand using synthesizers. He has said that in many interviews and I think with the recent interview he did with Mike Ragogna as well. When he was asked what was the one thing he would have not done Richard said he wouldn't have used any synthesizers.

However I think the REMASTERED CLASSICS should have used all the original LP mixes for every CD and every track- this way the fans would finally have (On CD) the original LP mixes. If Richard didn't like the synth or wanted to tweak a few things he should have left it alone (even if caused him distress). Most casual fans would never hear the difference between the LP and REMASTERED CLASSICS version of 'Those Good Old Dreams' . The diehard fans are the one's who wanted these CD's for the original mixes and he should have catered to those fans. 95% of the casual fans that bought any of the REMASTERED CLASSICS CD's would never hear any difference

Yes. The original 1985 ice-blue video package called YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, re-released in Asia in the early 90's as ONLY YESTERDAY, and finally re-released on DVD as GOLD in several different packages. All use the same audio soundtrack emanating from 1985.

It's the silver-packaged album and CD that came out in the UK 1984.

http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/yesterdayuk.html

Richard seems to have some strong feelings about the use of the synthesizer, particularly on this track. He's obviously gone to great lengths to use the single mix wherever possible. I guess he felt that an old video compilation's soundtrack would never be used by radio or whatever, so it wasn't important enough to re-do the audio portion of the whole DVD program for just that one song.

Harry

Harry said:

Richard does actually say in that latest interview posted in the forum, that on the few occasions he used synthesizers, he regretted it every last time. Maybe in this particular case he felt he just had to go back and fix it permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom