Those Good Old Dreams

I watched the show the day it aired in my town. Merv was pretty popular at that time. I took the day off to see the Carpenters performance, was a bit sad that it was an Olivia tribute show. It was interesting that she and Karen talked about places they had been to together. I had no idea they were such good friends until that show. Richard seemed a bit out of place as Karen and Olivia chatted. That’s probably another reason they only showed the one song, they were not the featured guest on that episode, Olivia was.

The only evidence I have for Merv Griffin's ratings number stem from an Orlando-Sentinel article.
His numbers (4.5= 1/5 homes with tv) were less than half of Carson's--at his peak, 1972.
So, Griffin's numbers, late 1981, were hardly great (a 1983 article gives Griffin 1/8 homes).
But, please, someone--prove me wrong with a documented source !
Unless you were a fan, in late 1981, who would have saw this program, October 1981 ?
I did not know of it, nor see it, when broadcast in 1981.
I know of NO ONE, outside of this forum, who saw the episode when it aired.
I would love it if I were demonstrably proven wrong !

Last edited:
Unless you were a fan, in late 1981, who would have saw this program, October 1981?

That would be anyone watching the show on the syndicated networks available at the time i.e. probably millions across the US (as already stated).

The actual number lies between 2 and 4-million people,
based on the ratings between those two extremes (1972 and 1983).
That, my friends, is not a significantly large number across the USA.

How big an audience would anyone expect for a daytime show in 1981? Most people would have been at work or school, so that left housewives, retired folks, and people who worked nights. Few people had VCRs yet, so they couldn't record it to watch later. I remember seeing the TV listing, and being disappointed that I had to miss the program. I thought about skipping my university classes that afternoon, but decided against it. Why did I have to be so darn responsible? :laugh:

Exactly! TV Guide when it was a really great publication, had listings for 24hrs. a day back then, for each market. You could read ahead and see who was going to be on daytime and nighttime television in advance, to plan on watching a favorite show or set your Betamax lol, to record them.
Talking to myself and feeling old...........

My mom loved Merv Griffin. She watched his show every night. Back then (late 70s), in the Los Angeles area, it was on independent Channel 11 KTTV and I believe it ran from 8 to 9pm. I'm sure it was still in that slot in 1981. Merv frequently booked excellent musical guests. It garnered very good ratings in the larger markets.

The actual number lies between 2 and 4-million people,
based on the ratings between those two extremes (1972 and 1983).
That, my friends, is not a significantly large number across the USA.

This does beg the question though of what would have been a bigger show for them to have gone on - not being a US native, I'm not too up on this, but from what I can tell, the Merv Griffin Show, along with the Johnny Carson Show, seem to have been two of the biggest talk shows of the time. It certainly wasn't a bad TV gig for them to have appeared on.

Obviously, the appearance did not help much in terms of chart action....
October 10, 1981 Made In America: Billboard USA chart #186,
previous week #155 (15 weeks on chart).

Billboard Magazine,
December 19th, 1981:
Paul Grein: " The Carpenters' "Those Good Old Dreams" (A &M)
enters the Hot 100 this week at number 82, becoming the duo's 27th consecutive chart single.
That's their entire output, from 1969's "Ticket To Ride" on.
This is the fourth Hot 100 single from the Carpenters' recent "Made In America" LP, following
"I Believe You," "Touch Me When We're Dancing" and "Back In My Life Again."
Not that that's a Carpenters record. The duo plucked five chart hits off 1972's "A Song For You" LP:
"Hurting Each Other," "It's Going To Take Some Time," "Goodbye To Love," "Top Of The World"
and "I Won't Last A Day Without You." What's more, all five reached the top 12.
Top that, Michael Jackson ! "

Last edited:
How big an audience would anyone expect for a daytime show in 1981? Most people would have been at work or school, so that left housewives, retired folks, and people who worked nights. Few people had VCRs yet, so they couldn't record it to watch later. I remember seeing the TV listing, and being disappointed that I had to miss the program. I thought about skipping my university classes that afternoon, but decided against it. Why did I have to be so darn responsible? :laugh:
I watched this show when it aired on CH 5 in New York. I recall that it aired in the evening between 8pm and 9pm. This was the only time that I ever heard the song "Want You Back In My Life Again" played either on radio or television.

The only evidence I have for Merv Griffin's ratings number stem from an Orlando-Sentinel article.
His numbers (4.5= 1/5 homes with tv) were less than half of Carson's--at his peak, 1972.
So, Griffin's numbers, late 1981, were hardly great (a 1983 article gives Griffin 1/8 homes).
But, please, someone--prove me wrong with a documented source !
Unless you were a fan, in late 1981, who would have saw this program, October 1981 ?
I did not know of it, nor see it, when broadcast in 1981.
I know of NO ONE, outside of this forum, who saw the episode when it aired.
I would love it if I were demonstrably proven wrong !
I was in College and saw it when originally aired, as did most of my dorm. I remember my friend Janet stating that something was wrong with Karen, but I thought her beautiful. I think it was on in late afternoon, maybe 4:00 PM but that was many years ago.

I’ve always found MJ’s music uplifting, and The Jackson’s (with Michael) from 1976 on. I’m more likely to listen to MJ than Carps these days, probably because I played Carps to death between the ages of ten and around thirty-five. I tend to just listen to isolated Carpenters songs these days, rather than complete albums, and not very often....although I still watch live performances on YouTube or sections of docos every now and then.

Albums like ‘Off the Wall’ and ‘Triumph’ are good for long drives.

Btw, Jacksons are touring Australia sometime soon but there’s no point going without Michael. The other guys generate no interest in me and have no appeal, as far as i’m concerned. I wonder if anyone will go.

Last edited:
I have no idea Murray. LOL. We all skipped.

I think "Those Good Old Dreams" was their most timeless song from MIA. I hope it is used on the next RPO album if there is to be one. It's kind of their 1980's "We've Only Just Begun," but in the sense of looking back instead of looking forward.

By 1981, the Carpenters were --sad to say --not the "it" music. I was in high school during this period & nobody was out rushing to buy Carpenters records. "Touch Me When We're Dancing" was a mediorcre radio hit & "Beechwood" was so out of place with other songs of the period. I remember thinking it sounded so immature for Karen's voice.
Top 10 1981 Billboard Songs -in comparison:

1 "Bette Davis Eyes" Kim Carnes
2 "Endless Love" Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
3 "Lady" Kenny Rogers
4 "(Just Like) Starting Over" John Lennon
5 "Jessie's Girl" Rick Springfield
6 "Celebration" Kool & the Gang
7 "Kiss on My List" Hall & Oates
8 "I Love a Rainy Night" Eddie Rabbitt
9 "9 To 5" Dolly Parton
10 "Keep on Loving You" REO Speedwagon

I'm pretty sure Richard and Karen were still being managed by Jerry Weintraub in 1981.

That’s right, they were.

On a sort-of related note, does anyone know what made Richard go back under the management of Sherwin Bash years after Karen had died?

By 1981, the Carpenters were --sad to say --not the "it" music. I was in high school during this period & nobody was out rushing to buy Carpenters records.

There is always a lot of "if only" talk. "If only they'd have done this or that, they would have continued to have hits. But the fact is that every artist, band, singer or what-have-you has their peak and then their career of 'hits' comes to an end. They might still be able to pack stadiums but they're not connecting anymore with the youth -- which is who buys the most music.

I remember John Denver being on the Tonight Show once long ago...he was curious why his new records weren't selling like the old ones did. So finally he asked a woman who was getting an autograph at one of his shows, "Do you have my new album?" She replied that she didn't, and said "I've already got 12 of your albums, I guess I don't need any more."

Right, just because they weren't #1 on the singles chart, they were still moving albums and most likely would have continued to do so. All artists reach this slump. Look at Celine Dion. She is 50-years old and she still sells out arenas all over the world wheverever she does. Rarely does she release new material (much to the chagrin of her fans) and she hasn't had a no 1 English language single in ages. She has been singing professionally since 1981.

Back
Top Bottom