Those good old dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

What mix of those good old dreams appear on the Gold DVD? There isn't much difference but still it's different?

Ever notice the opening 8 bars or so being repeated?

When we made "YOM" a time-code error was discovered late during the editing of the video collection and it was left as a "rarity." :)

I always liked that touch- and thought it was intentional!
Any more inside news on "the making of" you want to share?
Mark

I received a MINT copy of MADE IN AMERICA and I noticed that it is a different mix. I have most of the compilations and Nowhere does it state that Those Good Old Dreams had been remixed. I am pretty sure it has been. Would somebody tell me if I am right or not?

You are correct Andrew - the album version has that strange 'twangy' high pitched instrument playing over the closing bars of the song.

On all CDs I have, it's missing, but it has never been listed as a remix of the original song to my knowledge.

Well spotted!

Stephen

I've never found it on a CD either, but it did make it to the British compilation LP YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (the one with the silver color and catalog number SING1). I think it's a moog synthesizer playing those few notes. Probably Richard had second thoughts on its inclusion on the record and he neutralized it for all subsequent versions.

By the way, this is one of those rare songs that actually mentions the word "Christmas" but is never considered a Christmas song.

Harry
NP: "Those Good Old Dreams" - Carpenters

It also appears on the Gold DVD too :!:

I wonder how I notice all these small differences :?: :D

Andrew

NP: Made In America LP (in mint condition with no snap, crackle, and pop)

has anybody noticed If "Because We Are In Love" was remixed on the YESTERDAY ONCE MORE reissue?I listened to the album when it came out (in 1999)-the bass and drums sounded stronger,and Karen's vocal was more "up front".

raz42289 said:
So you're saying that it doesn't appear on the Remastered Classics CD :?:

Correct. It does NOT appear on the Remastered Classics CD.

Harry

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Andrew where are you hearing this? On the LP Made in America?

Yes. It occurs just as the instrumental ending is beginning after the final lyric. On the original version, you'll hear the synthesized squeal do its octave jump and then play a few a few quick descending notes. On all re-done versions you just get the octave jump (somewhat subdued in volume). The quicker descending notes were eliminated.

Arg!!! Why is there all this blank space under my post? argh!!!!

The system sizes each post according to the minimum size needed to display your avatar. It's normal - nothing to worry about.

Harry
NP: "Those Good Old Dreams" Carpenters

That is very interesting. I thought that the Remasterd Classics CDs were exactly like the Lps except for the EQ levels?

Are there any other Lps that have certain sounds that were never released on CD?

Essentially the Remastered Classics were the original mixes, but there was some ever-so-slight tweaking on occasion. It's been a while since I did a comparison, but if I remember correctly, as I compared TICKET TO RIDE with the LP I could hear slight changes in some stereo imaging, like maybe an instrument moving from slightly left to slightly right, while other sounds remained static. Really minor changes, but changes nonetheless.

The thing that remained the same is that these weren't any of the more modern remixes with re-recorded tracks or reverbing on the vocals. Why the moog track was changed is anybody's guess. I suppose that Richard didn't like it and didn't want it in the archival CD edition.

Harry
NP: radio at work

What I find interesting about this thread is that the "Remastered Classics" CDs were supposedly made from the original two-channel masters, which would have been the same tapes that were used to create the LP masters.

So this seems to indicate that:

a) Richard didn't use the original TCM's for all the "Remastered Classics" CDs, opting to do some tweaking here and there but keeping the basic mix the same as the original vinyl mix

or

b) There were multiple TCM's created with slight variations in the mixes, and the master tape chosen for the "Remastered Classics" CDs might not have necessarily been the same exact mix as the one used for the LPs (whether on purpose or by accident)

Here's an excerpt from an interview Richard gave in 1998 regarding remastering the original TCM's:

We understand there's a big Carpenters box set in the works.
Oh yeah! Bernie Grundman and I along with Barry Korkin, the archivist over at A&M, are working on it. A Japanese request again. Eleven CDs, all digitally remastered from the original master tapes. All these CDs that are out of the original album, they're off the TCMs. It was "Sherlock Holmes" time finding the actual original quarter inch in some cases.

Did you have to bake any in the oven?
I think only two out of all of them needed to be baked. On the whole the stuff survived fine. I know oxide had fallen off a split second of the '73 single mix of "Top of the World," just in the beginning, but very early on you can hear it on the Singles album. Just a little chunk of oxide missing. So we fixed that. Every now and again we went to a different source and just put in one bar where the oxide was missing. But I'm so glad they asked me because I had no idea that some of our masters were decimated, having certain hits pulled to various compilations over the years.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom