Ticket to Ride... original or new version, how to tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Neely

Industry Member
I recall reading that Karen Carpenter re-recorded her vocal for "Ticket to Ride" when it appeared on The Singles 1969-1973 during the vinyl era. My question: Which CDs contain the original vocal, and which CDs contain the new vocal?

Any version of OFFERING or TICKET TO RIDE (the album) will contain the original version of "Ticket To Ride", as will of course the original 45. Once the re-recorded version appeared on SINGLES 1969-1973, it continued to see release on virtually every compilation thereafter.

Harry
...who likes the redone version, but still has a fondness for the original, online...

I believe that the only original vocal is on the Ticket To Ride album/cd.

The whole song was re-recorded for the Singles album.

Thank goodness the Carpenters re-recorded portions of "Ticket To Ride" -- the original 1969 recording is one of the few tunes of theirs I do not enjoy listening to. It is such an uninspired reading on Karen's part and she is singing flat... just enough below the intended pitch to make the skin crawl! The "new" version was done at Karen's prime, vocally, in my opinion. It's incredible! I am still unsure why Richard puts it in chronological order with the material done in 1969 though -- on the new ESSENTIAL COLLECION. I can understand if it were the single version, but the 1973 version should go right in there on Disc 2.

Randy

Was "Don't Be Afraid" ever re-recorded at a later date? I have it on the "B" side of a single (which I can't locate right now), but for some reason, the version on Ticket To Ride sounds a little rougher than what I remember from the single all those years ago.

-= N =-

Quite a few Fans have noted the differences in TTR versions .....many do not like the original 1969 track and clearly Richard prefers 1973 version for all main Catalog releases.

Another great version of Ticket To Ride is on 1970 Your Navy Presents ....rearranged by RICHARD AND A GREAT LIVE PREFORMANCE ....that would have been very welcome on the Essential Selection Box Set...... :)

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom