Time for a new album of remakes by Richard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

I was very excited about the new Christmas album. Well, maybe we will see it next year...

Richard's last album was SO middle of the road elevator music. I think it is time he goes back to a very vocal oriented album.

He is so good on oldies, in particular. Maybe its time to do an album of remakes.

How about these choices:

"Poor Side of Town" the old Johnny Rivers Song
"See You in September" the Happenings
Give these songs a listen if you have them and see if you agree.
What songs do you think his voice would shine on?

Maybe a Beach Boys song for fun or even "This Guy's in Love with You" as a nice tribute to Herb Alpert?

He could even cover some songs he and Karen wished they did- or songs they passed on. Or a medley of 40s stuff like he did in the tribute concert in '83? Maybe even an instrumental of something like "Am I the Same Girl"? (Sorry, I can only remember the title of the vocal version of this piece- what was the name of the instrumental hit?)

This could be a fun project for him- and one that I think would bring him back a little more to the Adult Contemporary charts.

What would your album design be like for him?

Mark

Unfortunately, I don't really think that any project Richard could come up with would be hugely successful. Anything he does will inevitably be compared to "Carpenters" material, to which it could never live up...

I would love to see him doing new things, but I feel that he should avoid remaking ANYTHING -- old Carpenters' material or other oldies. That sort of thing just reinforces his image of being stuck in the past, unable to move on.

I love the idea of a new album of original compositions using guest vocalists. Jim Brickman has had quite a bit of success with the songs he has written and used guest vocalists to sing ("Valentine" with vocals by Martina McBride is a good example). Richard was definitely heading the the right direction when he signed on Dusty Springfield and Dionne Warwick to sing on TIME -- those are terrific songs, sung superbly.

On the other hand, it would also be great to see Richard branch off in a new direction. Maybe something in the classical realm, using his skills as a choral arranger. Maybe moving back to his roots in jazz. Maybe writing a movie score or even a musical.

Ah, wishes, wishes. Maybe Richard is perfectly happy living in semi-retirement and occasionally working on the Carpenters' catalog...

David

I love the idea of RC working
on remakes! See You In September
always makes me think of RC.
I am sure he could turn it in
to a work of art!!!!!!
My idea for an RC project has
always been a Manhattan Transfer
type of album.
WE can all hope for a new album
of totally new material from RC
but as one member mentioned, Rc
Is probably perfectly happy in
semi retirement.

You know, I really wonder if Richard is really happy in semi-retirement. His love of music is SO great that he can't put it into words. He IS music! I just can't believe that some where inside his head he is just itching to get back to it full time. I know he loves his family and is a great father, but I can't believe he wouldn't want to if he could.

As to what he should do now, I've always thought he should do a jazz piano album with guest vocalists. So, Mark, you and I think alike on that one!

Marilyn, online and wishing it were so easy ...

I forgot to add that I'm so very disappointed that no Christmas album is forthcoming this year. I wonder what really happened?

Marilyn :sad:

Maybe if Carpenters Perform Carpneter sells well in US, then they would consider releasing the Christmas album.

Wishful thinking?

mstaft said:
Maybe even an instrumental of something like "Am I the Same Girl"? (Sorry, I can only remember the title of the vocal version of this piece- what was the name of the instrumental hit?)

The instrumental version of that tune is called "Soulful Strut." Great song, with or without vocals. :)

I agree with Marilyn and David-Richard should return to his Jazz roots.It's sort of a shame that Karen & Richard strayed so far from their Jazz beginnings in the first place!(Although they maintained a certain amount of jazz content on almost every album-except,of course,"Made In America").I think a Jazz piano album,either with a bass/drums combo or with a backup orchestra,would be a great idea.I think " My Favorite Things" from AN OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS is an exquisite example of Richard's expertise in Jazz Piano!Incidentally,I think the reason Richard's Christmas album was shelved is due to a contractual impasse between Richard and Universal.Now that Universal is the parent company,Richard isn't the "family favorite" anymore,like he used to be with A&M!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom