Timeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicfirst

Today has dawned cool and sunny, with a promise that the late summer heat will not be unbearable. But, there is a shadow on this day that shields neither sun nor heat. Oh, activity around this house will be normal for the weekend-shopping, yard work, and a break or two for iced tea. However, I will think of the day’s significance with a sad heart. Seventeen years ago, we lost Nick Ceroli. The “beat” of the Tijuana Brass and the swing for big bands and jazz groups was stopped.

When I was in Los Angeles in April, I fulfilled a promise made so many years ago. Before I sought the security of my cousin’s home, I sought the peace of a quiet garden nestled between mountains and the concrete of the network of highways that seem to be the very arteries that maintain the life of the city. The Yahoo directions from LAX were spot-on, and I arrived at Forest Lawn without a hitch. With the efforts of a hospitable security guard, I was able to find Nick’s final resting place. The breeze was refreshing from the top of the hills that surround the area. The large shade tree rustled noisily. When I finally stood on the cool grass, the finality smacked me with such a force. Oh, the marker looked like the one on the web site. The hill with its media tower was a mirror of that photo on the web. But, I was never numb when I gazed on these things from a computer monitor. Now, with the blades of grass between my toes and the breeze in my hair, it was too real, and my heart went stone cold.

The birds and Nature herself seemed to have paid many visits to Nick’s spot. After removing the evidence of these visits, I sat for a few minutes and enjoyed the view-Forest Lawn Drive, overlooking ABC corporate offices and some Warner Brother studios. And, always, the blue-shaded mountains that seem to surround so much of LA. It’s tranquil and peaceful, terms that could never be associated with Nick’s drums!!! A classy view for a class act, though!! Reluctantly, I had to bid farewell, as the sun was setting and the gates were about to close. I felt empty of heart but refreshed of spirit.

I have remembered that day with sadness but with a quirky smile as well. Although Nick is no longer with us in the physical sense, his music certainly remains to allow his spirit to be with us. Whether you enjoy the tunes he played with the Brass or his work with some jazz greats like Mundell Lowe or Pete Jolly, you listen to a man gifted with so much talent. His music is truly timeless.

May you continue to rest with the angels, Nick. Le faltamos. Usted nos dejó mucho demasiado temprano, mi amigo. Podemos continuar gozando de su música.

DJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom