TJB Appearance On The Dean Martin Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I just received a VHS copy of The Dean Martin Show today that features the Brass playing "Bittersweet Samba" and "Winds Of Barcelona". I'm not sure of the year, but I'm guessing early 1966. This show has the different trumpet player that was on the Hollywood Palace, rather than Tonni Kalash. The sound quality of the tape isn't the best, but it's better than nothing. The show also featured Imogene Coca, Jackie Mason, the Step Brothers and the Supremes.

The two songs that the TJB do aren't the same as on record. "Bittersweet Samba" is done real soft for the most part, and "Winds Of Barcelona" is played at a lot quicker tempo. I guess they pre-recorded these tunes then kind of "lip-synced" it afterwards, because there are a couple of spots where you hear Herb's trumpet doing a "fall" yet he doesn't have the horn to his lips, plus John Pisano is shown playing an acoustic 12-string yet the guitar sound is electric. Still, it's a nice addition to my collection! :D

Capt. Bacardi

I remember seeing this show in the summer of 1970 when it was aired on Norwegian TV. They used to send the Dean Martin shows over here years later than they had been recorded. I was only eleven and I was surprised that the songs sounded so different from what I was used to from the records. I also remember that the trumpet player was unknown to me, and that it definitely was not Tonni Kalash, but I'm pretty sure that the the same guy is playing on the first of the "Hollywood Palace" appearances that I have on VHS.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

I also recall the Baja Marimba Band making appearances with Dean. He seemed to like them almost as much as Joey Bishop did, when he had his late night show opposite Carson. As time goes on...I appreciate Dean's talent more and more.

You know, the more I look at this the more I think this may be from 1965, possibly before "Taste Of Honey" became a hit. Otherwise, you'd think that they would actually play a hit tune. Just a hunch...

Capt. Bacardi

One possible way to date this performance is to look the their costumes. Prior to 1966, the entire band wore Mexican costumes, both on the Danny Kaye show as well as the Hollywood Palace. Starting with thier tour in early 1966, Herb switched to a tux and the rest of the band wore the tradiditonal Mexican garb.

Clark said:
One possible way to date this performance is to look the their costumes. Prior to 1966, the entire band wore Mexican costumes, both on the Danny Kaye show as well as the Hollywood Palace. Starting with thier tour in early 1966, Herb switched to a tux and the rest of the band wore the tradiditonal Mexican garb.

Yup, they all had the quasi-Mexican thing going. I hope they got paid well for wearing that stuff! :tongue:

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom