📷 Gallery TJB Memory Lane (Overseas Releases)

Threads with gallery-like content.
Sounds Tijuana is the British comp album, that I feel should be in any serious collector's collection. In the early 60s Stateside in the UK issued the TJB singles and EPs. For this album they spooled all the mono singles masters together to create a unique release. In addition to the rare Mexican Drummer Man (only one of two albums, I know offering it). The original single version of Numero Cinco, is here with the Mexican engineer's introduction and count-off. There was a stereo version of the album issued, but it used some some different songs and used the stereo album versions (not the hits).
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71EakfW9bXL._SL1280_.jpg

Sounds Tijuana is the British comp album, that I feel should be in any serious collector's collection. In the early 60s Stateside in the UK issued the TJB singles and EPs. For this album they spooled all the mono singles masters together to create a unique release. In addition to the rare Mexican Drummer Man (only one of two albums, I know offering it). The original single version of Numero Cinco, is here with the Mexican engineer's introduction and count-off.

One correction here: "Mexican Corn" as presented on SOUNDS TIJUANA is actually the mono album version. The true 45 version is quite different:

I don't own this one, but spotted it on Discogs:

1595683482109.png

It's a French release, and the real flip-side is "You Are My Life" - not "You Are Free"!

I don't own this one, but spotted it on Discogs:

1595683482109.png

It's a French release, and the real flip-side is "You Are My Life" - not "You Are Free"!

Thank you for clearing that up. You helped me with posting the cover a few years ago on a thread I started. Strange typo!

I own this LP from East Germany (former German Democratic Republic). According to discogs this record was released 1970. This must be correct, because six songs are taken from the "TBAC"-Album like "I'm An Old Cowhand", "Country Lake", "Moon River", "Sunny", "The Brass Are Comin'" and the "Maltese Melody". Front cover:

R-858943-1421677793-4037.jpeg.jpg

I remember the attitude of my uncle who was a semi-professional musican at that time. He played the saxopfone in a Dance Band and toured the entire "Republic". He told me that the people were demanding TJB titles (the Stasi - secret service of East Germany - had approved this kind of music) but he hated the "Tijuana stuff". I couldn't understand why, because at that time I already had collected all TJB LPs which were available in West Germany. It was and still is my favourite music.

R-858943-1421677855-3232.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Some musicians, and music snobs, hate the TJB because it commercialized that type of music. (And I think it angered some working musicians because a trumpet player like Herb had success on his instrument, where other musicians play gigs all the time and could barely make a living from it.)

Some record collectors also don't like the TJB since they claim that all they find in bargain bins are copies of Whipped Cream. (Which isn't really true...around here, it's the Eagles Greatest Hits that grow like parasites in the bargain bins.)

My dad had a cousin that we saw fairly often and he hated the Tijuana Brass. He said it sounded like carnival music.

I also was forced to endure the Hatefulness of people who just Had to say they Hated Herb Alpert starting in elementary school ( probably partly because their parents played the records too much) others were so entrenched in hard Rock and stoner music as they called it. They thought it was Grandma and Grandpa music. Talk about extreme closed mindedness gone amuck. Thankfully im far away from people like that. I am sure They would be shocked if they knew Herb was still going strong today. And how successful he continued to be

I also was forced to endure the Hatefulness of people who just Had to say they Hated Herb Alpert starting in elementary school ( probably partly because their parents played the records too much) others were so entrenched in hard Rock and stoner music as they called it. They thought it was Grandma and Grandpa music. Talk about extreme closed mindedness gone amuck. Thankfully im far away from people like that. I am sure They would be shocked if they knew Herb was still going strong today. And how successful he continued to be
They probably still wouldn't care. They might eventually tolerate it, but I wouldn't waste time or effort trying to get those people to appreciate something they obviously never will anyway. WE will always cherish those old records.

Back
Top Bottom