TJB Re-Formed Third Album

Charles H.

It's lamentable that a rumored third re-formed TJB album (following YOU SMILE- and CONEY ISLAND) was never released. It could (and should) have included the delectable singles, "Fire and Rain," "El Bimbo" and "Whistle Song" aka "Whistlestar," plus the dynamic (and under- appreciated) "Desert Dance." Who knows what other gems could have been added by Herb and Company? Why wasn't this promising, fan-pleasing project ever realized?

Charles

There was also the song "Someday" "Somewhere" that was performed on Dinah Shore's show, right?

Last edited:
"Somewhere" is the tune. Believe from "West Side Story," also done by The Supremes, Streisand and many others.

Anything is possible, but my guess is "not many." Most likely, the tunes that were singles (El Bimbo, Popcorn, Whistlestar, Fire and Rain) might have been included on a third T.J.B. album. Everything else on Lost Treasures was either on You Smile - The Song Begins, or sounds like earlier-era Brass. A handful of tracks are "known quantities," such as we know that "Close To You" was rejected by Herb as a follow-up to "This Guy's In Love With You."

"Popcorn" was not an issued single.

While there was speculation about a 3rd album of that era, it didn't happen because demand had diminished, unfortunately. Thankfully we later had "Lost Treasures" and there may be sufficient goodies in the vault for another such compilation. There might even be demand for some early mono album versions. But you guys gotta do more than sit around and talk - you have to buy the product! :wink:

LOST TREASURES is currently commanding somewhat high prices as it's out of print on CD.

LOST TREASURES is currently commanding somewhat high prices as it's out of print on CD.
Thankfully I got in on that along with all the other shout factory CDs as some also contain Rare Bonus tracks which are now even more rare today for obvious reasons

Considering I own 3 copies of Lost Treasures, and two of most of the Shout Factory product, and one of nearly all of the HAP issues, and we flew to Seattle to see a concert last spring, I think I've done my part.

Considering I own 3 copies of Lost Treasures, and two of most of the Shout Factory product, and one of nearly all of the HAP issues, and we flew to Seattle to see a concert last spring, I think I've done my part.
And then some! :laugh: All HAP titles I have in hi-res downloads, and I have the Shout Factory titles in one form or another (just about all as physical copies).

I did get all the HAP vinyl though, but I do need to get another Whipped Cream since my early copy is one of those that was the bad pressing. (The only problem is hoping the next one I buy is one of the newer pressings!) With Bernie's mastering, these LPs sound better than ever!

How about that remake of Up Cherry Street? That would have been a good opener for #3. Desert Dance a good tune for position 1 side two with Whistlestar as the side 2 closer. Julius And Me side 1 position five. Without knowing the recording dates how would #3 be constructed assuming it's an LP.

It's lamentable that a rumored third re-formed TJB album (following YOU SMILE- and CONEY ISLAND) was never released. It could (and should) have included the delectable singles, "Fire and Rain," "El Bimbo" and "Whistle Song" aka "Whistlestar," plus the dynamic (and under- appreciated) "Desert Dance." Who knows what other gems could have been added by Herb and Company? Why wasn't this promising, fan-pleasing project ever realized?

Charles
"Fire and Rain" was recorded one year ahead of the "You Smile - The Song Begins" album as it was the b-side of the "Last Tango In Paris" single that came out in 1973, so it was probably rejected for that album and not likely to be considered for a later album release.

Yes, it was released as a single, but the liner notes for "Lost Treasure" seemed to indicate that it hadn't ever been issued.

Herb Alpert's liner notes in Lost Treasures said:
Some were songs I forgot I'd recorded, like..."Fire and Rain"

Josh Kun's Lost Treasures liner notes said:
Like Alpert's buttery meltdown of "Fire And Rain," it's a rare groove classic waiting to be unearthed by a new generation of beat hounds.

From those two quotes, I'd conclude that as a b-side to a later single, it had been forgotten. Artists generally don't listen to their own stuff like we the fans do, so it could easily have been forgotten. And the fact that it was called a "rare groove classic" seems to indicate that it was indeed once a record, or groove, but is somewhat rare. And 45s from the early 70s aren't exactly all that plentiful to be rediscovered.

Thus, by placing the track - in a slightly remixed form - onto a modern CD, I guess it was hoped that it would get a wider audience and appreciation. I'm pretty sure it didn't , but then what do I know?

Thankfully for us who kept up on all of Herb's music between all the original albums CDs and Downloads and Reissues up to now we have quite plenty to be thankful for and to appreciate as I may have mentioned previously a few of the Shout Factory Reissues gave us several unexpected surprise bonus tracks in addition to "Lost Treasures" which was to me a huge surprise bonus unto itself

Thankfully for us who kept up on all of Herb's music between all the original albums CDs and Downloads and Reissues up to now we have quite plenty to be thankful for and to appreciate as I may have mentioned previously a few of the Shout Factory Reissues gave us several unexpected surprise bonus tracks in addition to "Lost Treasures" which was to me a huge surprise bonus unto itself
We've been lucky! Everything but Just You and Me have been released digitally and many are still available today. With all of these available on streaming services, too, it allows many others out there to discover Herb's music. @badazz had the correct goal for his efforts with all the recent reissues--preserving the music for current and future generations, not just long-time fans like us (who are admittedly a much smaller market).

It's pretty amazing to think back to when we all first arrived at the Corner... the TJB catalog was in a shambles, mostly out of print, and had never been released in its entirety on CD at that time, and what HAD been released was mostly out of print or commanding ridiculous prices on eBay. Remember how we all celebrated when "Definitive Hits" came out (and then started to pick apart the dropouts on various tracks)?

Comparing that era to everything that's come since.... two reissue programs, almost all of Herb's output restored to the marketplace, half a dozen new albums, plus tours with Lani on top of that. It's a good time to be a Herb fan!

Back
Top Bottom