TJB Re-Formed Third Album

It's pretty amazing to think back to when we all first arrived at the Corner... the TJB catalog was in a shambles, mostly out of print, and had never been released in its entirety on CD at that time, and what HAD been released was mostly out of print or commanding ridiculous prices on eBay. Remember how we all celebrated when "Definitive Hits" came out (and then started to pick apart the dropouts on various tracks)?
It's interesting to note that when I was watching sales through CDNow and later Amazon, the two top selling titles have been Definitive Hits and Whipped Cream. The latter being the most popular of all of them. And I do remember how ridiculous those prices were. I bought all but two of the original TJB CD releases--I did find Beat of the Brass in a used bin locally, but never did find What Now My Love. All the solo records except for Blow Your Own Horn I bought as the CDs came out. (And yeah, I wish I had stockpiled a couple dozen copies of Fandango at the time...had I known!)

Yes indeed, those were the days. Herb's stuff was mostly out of print. Those first six TjB albums had been released, plus the Christmas album and BEAT OF THE BRASS domestically. Few of us knew that SRO and BRASS ARE COMIN' had Japanese releases on CD. And record stores that sold used records were filled largely with a lot of beat-up copies of the old LPs. Sometimes you could find a clean LP - or even a sealed one - for not too much money.

I was lucky to have found SRO from Japan, but it wasn't until THE BRASS ARRE COMIN' was released on HAP a few years ago that I finally obtained an original Japanese version. Back then, I also scarfed up every Herb Alpert solo release as they came along.

I believe the only stuff that has never seen the light of day on a digital release is, but perhaps have in some corner of the world:

- "Mexican Drummer Man" - that odd a-side single that came when Herb was still looking for his sound
- mono mixes of the albums and many singles
- Spanish language version of "This Guy's In Love With You"
- JUST YOU AND ME album
- Those odd singles for the 70s album that never was, though some were reworked on LOST TREASURES.
- The two extra tracks from NOCHE DE AMOR in the 80s.
- The b-side track "The Lady In My Life" which came on the "I Need You" single. (It was re-recorded later.)

I NEED YOU (Remix) - THE LADY IN MY LIFE was released in Japan as a CD3 single - S10Y3046 (1988 Pony Canyon)

I NEED YOU (Remix) - THE LADY IN MY LIFE - I NEED YOU (12" MIX) - I NEED YOU (ALBUM VERSION) was released in Germany as a CD EP by PolyGram 390358-2 (1988)

I NEED YOU (Remix) - THE LADY IN MY LIFE was released in Japan as a CD3 single - S10Y3046 (1988 Pony Canyon)

I NEED YOU (Remix) - THE LADY IN MY LIFE - I NEED YOU (12" MIX) - I NEED YOU (ALBUM VERSION) was released in Germany as a CD EP by PolyGram 390358-2 (1988)

You know, I should have known that, as I have that German CD single now. Took me years to find it, but I have it. I think it was originally a card-sleeve, but whoever sold it to me had made it fit in a jewel case.

Other stuff never digitized include the many 12" mixes over the years. Some showed up, but not all.

Well, I haven't forgotten them, but they were never available as commercial recordings, as far as I know.

Don't forget DESERT DANCE and NEVERNEVER LAND from the TV appearance in 1975.
or "Somewhere" from the Dinah Shore daytime appearance; and "Coney Island" in a lower key from the TJB special. But for me, now that I have the release of "Summertime" out of my system, it's "Just You and Me" that I'd like to see as a CD.

My holy grail item for a proper release is "Desert Dance." We discussed it here at one point when Randy ("Badazz") was participating more regularly, and he had not heard of it and was going to research it. It is SUCH a cool song and deserves to be released. It would have fit right in on the Coney Island album. Maybe it'll be part of the "what's coming next" that Steve so mysteriously alluded to on page 1... hope springs eternal.

Yes, I also would like to see Desert Dance released.

I had never heard of that song until I heard the video.

I also wonder if Music To Watch Girls By was ever recorded. It has never been released - another "lost treasure" maybe? I think I remember hearing the TJB play it in concert back in 1969.

I like Desert Dance too thankfully I saved the video from YouTube long ago the video was very well done I believe that was done on their appearance on "the Midnight Special".

Please just don’t let it be another new release with the annoying artificial drum beat.

Personally, I wish he’d get together again with Caiphus Semenya and Jonas Gwanga together and do a Masekela tribute.doh tnit has even been contemplated, though. Or do something with Sting.

Same for The Raspberries (with Eric Carmen) appearance segment on the NBC "GO" show which was the very first debut episode back in September of 1973 (with the late Don Imus) that also has the video effects. That segment is on YouTube!!!

It was "cool" for the time. Cutting edge stuff. Similar to the lava lamp-type liquid effects that used to be in the background of "rock acts" on TV variety shows. Very cool then...distracting and irritating now.

Anytime I play that Desert Dance video I always scroll the image off the top of the screen and just enjoy the sound. I sure wish it'd get a proper release though....some incredible work by all the players.

Just wait until you see what's coming next...
Steve, you've gotta stop with the teasing, dude! :wink:

As recently as Monday 20th January you updated a rather cryptic thread here, implying that we might hear or see something important very soon.
(You also mentioned on another thread, on Wednesday 22nd January, that "A Herb Alpert Documentary is in the works", but I don't think that is connected to your instruction to "Watch this space.")

You're clearly 'in the know', on whatever it is, but subjecting the rest of us to a slow torture is just plain cruel! :D "Spring 2020" is also a rather wide section of the calendar, so whilst I am sure you cannot tell us what it is that will be launching into the Herb Alpert arena, is there any chance of you refining the timing of what we have to be all "Eyes & ears..." for? The suspense is immense, but is also fatigue-inducing, LOL!

I believe the only stuff that has never seen the light of day on a digital release is, but perhaps have in some corner of the world:

- "Mexican Drummer Man" - that odd a-side single that came when Herb was still looking for his sound
- mono mixes of the albums and many singles
- Spanish language version of "This Guy's In Love With You"
- JUST YOU AND ME album
- Those odd singles for the 70s album that never was, though some were reworked on LOST TREASURES.
- The two extra tracks from NOCHE DE AMOR in the 80s.
- The b-side track "The Lady In My Life" which came on the "I Need You" single. (It was re-recorded later.)
And the 1975 single of "El Bimbo".

Back
Top Bottom