TJB Trivia Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpertfan

I'm sure this is a frequently asked question by other fans, but who played the saxophone on the TJB's version of "Love Potion #9"? :|

alpertfan said:
I'm sure this is a frequently asked question by other fans, but who played the saxophone on the TJB's version of "Love Potion #9"? :|

I don't think anyone knows this for sure, except for maybe Herb himself. He had access to every studio musician at the time, so it could be anybody. It's a good solo, though! :cool:

Capt. Bacardi

It's short enough and surrounded by so many other sounds, I can't really peg who it is. I would guess the same musician did the sax on the other songs as well, like "Peanuts." (Who'da thought a polka would end up on a TJB album?? :wink: )

That growl is reminiscent of Plas Johnson, but he has a meatier tone and the phrasing is different than what I've heard him play.

-= N =-

Hal Blaine or Larry Levine would probably know...if they've ever visited this site and would like to post...hint, hint... :wink:

One name that stands out as a possibility...Sal Nistico played on several Woody Herman albums in the late '60's...most notably LIGHT MY FIRE[check out his work on "Hush"]...with a very similar sound...raspy tenor...that's who it sounds like to me...I don't know what he was doing in '65, so it's a long shot...but if I had to bet on it, I'd put my money on Sal. Has anybody else heard of him? Whenever I play my XP 80 and use one of the tenor sax patches, I try to emulate his style as much as possible...it ain't easy!

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
Hal Blaine or Larry Levine would probably know...if they've ever visited this site and would like to post...hint, hint... :wink:

So likely would Carol Kaye, who HAS visited here on the old Forum. It seemsa to me she has her own forum on Carolkaye.com. Perhaps we should go question her there.

Harry
...shivering from the cold front, online...

Speaking of sax, it seems to me that there is a sax playing along with the trumpet on "Slick" (Beat of the Brass album)?

I hear that sax on "Slick" also...it's very buried in the mix.

-= N =-

I always figured that the sax on"Slick" was probably played by Bernie Fleischer...could it have been Ernie Watts or maybe even Stan Getz?

Dan

I just visited Carol's site and asked the 64 Dollar question...while I was there, I checked out some of her other pages...there are lists of people she recorded for and with, as well as lists of songs she performed on. Carol doesn't just play bass, she's also an accomplished guitarist...many of the 12-string riffs I love and try to emulate are ones she recorded for the likes of Sonny and Cher and the Seekers...she also talks about what it was like in the studio. If she hasn't written a book, she should definitely consider it. Visit her site www.carolkaye.com if you haven't already...you'll be amazed at all she's done, and who she's worked with.

Dan, wondering where she found the time to visit the forum...

I also posted the same question on Carol's forum. Let's hope for an answer. I'd love to know more about the session musicians on the old TJB tracks.

Harry
...remembering Carol Kaye's visit the same week that Julius Wechter came by, online...

Definitely wasn't Stan Getz on the TJB recordings....the tone is too different.

I do remember when Carol Kaye and Julius visited--they both stopped in during the same time, when I was ironically vacationing a mere couple of miles away from them! GRRRR!! That was August of 1998. Mr Bill remembers it well. :wink:

-= N =-
...needing a west coast trip, soon...

Got a reply from Carol Kaye on her forum. Here's what she wrote:

Carol Kaye said:
Can only be 1 of 2 people, either Steve Douglas or Plas Johnson...both of them did work for Herb Alpert back then....let me email Plas, he'll know. Might take up to 1 day before I hear back from him.

I'll let you know if she finds out for sure.

Harry
...doin' the research, online...

Incredible...I guessed Plas Johnson as a possibility just due to the growl on some notes, and the tone. It sounds different from his work on all those Mancini albums (think "Pink", and you've got the Plas tone :D ). But then again, it's quite a different environment.

Anxious to hear the answer on this one. Tell CK I said "Hello." :wink:

-= N =-

I checked out Plas' site and didn't see anything about working for Herb...but I may have just missed it. He did play for Neal Hefti, that's him doing the sax duet with trumpet on "The Odd Couple" theme...another great find from the links page at carolkaye.com....

Dan

One thing I may recall from Carol Kaye's page was that she asked anyone to get in contact if they knew of a session she played at that she wasn't listed on. Must get to a point where they've played thousands of sessions and can't recall every single one. :)

-= N =-

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was Plas on "Love Potion." I can't recall at the moment which track it is from Lonely Bull that has a tenor sax on it--but I do recall thinking that it sounds very very Plas-esque. (Or is it from Volume 2? I know one of you guys will remember.)

And aside from the astronomical difference in tone, the probability of Stan Getz doing any sort of anonymous studio work at any time after 1947 is 0%... or less. :)

- William

Are you thinking of "Mexican Corn"? It's on VOLUME 2...and I have an anecdote: when I was in junior high band, our band director-a trumpet player- absolutely HATED Herb Alpert. He was a part-time jazz player, and came from a long line of professional musicians; in fact, his brother and Nick Ceroli were buddies...my director called Herb's music "canned corn". Well...that really bothered me until I came upon VOLUME 2 and "Mexican Corn". I played it for my 8th grade tryout, and he was livid! I got him good... Herb knew he played "canned corn", I knew he played "canned corn" and neither one of us cared what Mr. Mc Fadden thought... :wink:

So, "Mexican Corn" will always be a favorite of mine, and I'd like to know who played the sax...again, it's probably one of the two musicians that Carole named. It sure sounds good...

My big question is: who was/is Don Bowman ?

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
when I was in junior high band, our band director-a trumpet player- absolutely HATED Herb Alpert. He was a part-time jazz player, and came from a long line of professional musicians; in fact, his brother and Nick Ceroli were buddies...my director called Herb's music "canned corn".

Well, think about it this way: Herb proved there was a lot of money to be made selling "canned corn"...vs. a junior high band directors' gig. :confused: (Nothing against band directors...but could it have been a twinge of jealousy?)

So what does that make Kenny G.? Canned sh*t? :wink:

Well...that really bothered me until I came upon VOLUME 2 and "Mexican Corn". I played it for my 8th grade tryout, and he was livid!

For some who hated the TJB so much, how did he know "Mexican Corn" so well?? :wink: (Could have been one of those closet fans who was too embarassed to admit he liked the TJB. :wink: )

-= N =-
...whose eye hurts from so much :wink: -ing, and just may end up getting a bit twitchy :twitchy: from it...

Rudy said:
...That was August of 1998. Mr Bill remembers it well. :wink:

-= N =-
...needing a west coast trip, soon...

Yep! We shouldhave gone updstairs and logged on just to see whatw as up at the corner...

--Mr Bill
reminding Neil there's a spare bed for his visit out west... :wink:

Mr Bill said:
Yep! We should have gone upstairs and logged on just to see what was up at the corner...

--Mr Bill
reminding Neil there's a spare bed for his visit out west... :wink:

I don't remember...wasn't it that Sunday we stopped in? (And Julius had been by that weekend, IIRC.) Arrived in LA Saturday, made the 4+ hr. drive to SD, had dinner at a relative's.

Could use the trip out west, for various reasons. One of which is the fact that it's 8 degrees outside right now. :mad: Lived in this weather all my life, and hate it more every year. Spare bed's a possibility, but so is a certain redhead who lives near Sunset Cliffs... :D

-= N =-

Any Woody fan has heard of Sal Nestico. I once said I thought Woody must have paid him by the note. Listen to him on "live" versions of "Keep On Keepin' On" and the Verve release of "Caldonia". He plays fast but you never hear a cliche. I don't think that could have been him on Herb's records.

I always thought that "sax" on "Slick" was a kazoo!!

By the way, how about that entire 60's Herd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom