TJB Trivia

Technically, that harmonica on This Guy belongs to Burt Bacharach's orchestra... the only TJB member playing on that track is Herb, as far as I know. (Hence the reason why the single is only credited to "Herb Alpert."

Point taken, Mike. As devil's advocate, however, I would argue that as a song per se, This Guy is representative of the classic "TJB era" -- particularly so given its inclusion on a TJB LP. Also, "Herb" was synonymous with "the brass" until the 2nd TJB folded round about 1975. Lastly, Burt's "orchestra" are all session musicians, which on this date included Pete Jolly who in addition to playing electric piano here also contributed to other TJB recordings during that era.

To my ears, it sure sounds like Nick Ceroli.
According to the Shout Factory CD liner notes,

"This Guy's In Love With You". Arranged by Burt Bacharach with Alpert on lead vocal, the song is anchored by a spare, minimalist lineup with the Brass' Nick Ceroli on drums and both Bacharach and jazz stalwart Pete Jolly on piano."

Point taken, Mike. As devil's advocate, however, I would argue that as a song per se, This Guy is representative of the classic "TJB era" -- particularly so given its inclusion on a TJB LP. Also, "Herb" was synonymous with "the brass" until the 2nd TJB folded round about 1975. Lastly, Burt's "orchestra" are all session musicians, which on this date included Pete Jolly who in addition to playing electric piano here also contributed to other TJB recordings during that era.
All good points, but the song wasn't even originally slated to be included on the TJB album -- it was added to the special at the request of the director, who wanted to film Herb not playing the horn. They weren't planning to release it as a single until the "phones lit up" when the special aired. I have always wondered when the decision was made to add it to the album -- before or after the special aired.

Back
Top Bottom