TJB Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's one cool story Randy told me that I wanted to pass along. "Rise" was first played in Europe and England, and one day at the studio Herb and Andy Armer were working on something, and Randy was at the boards. A call came in for Herb, and it was Elton John. Herb took the call and Elton told Herb that he had just heard "Rise" on the radio in England and absolutely loved it. Randy said that it was then that Herb realized he had "made it" back to the top.

Capt. Bacardi

The Captain: There's one cool story Randy told me that I wanted to pass along. . . .

Very nice. Keep those anecdotes and remembrances coming!

Forgot to mention: www.shoutfactory.com for reissues (DVD & CD) compared to Rhino, Rhino Handmade, Sundazed, Varese Vintage among others!! Can't wait for S.R.O. to come out on CD!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I, too, agree with Harry about the reissues. I would like the original albums released just as they were. No more, no less. The cover art as exact as possible made from scans that have the vibrant colors of the original LPs and not the dull, washed out looking crap they used on the 80's reissues. Leave the A&M logos on if possible, songtitles and any other details that were on the originals. Inside hopefully there'll be liner notes saying who played what on each track, perhaps some rare photos, stories, facts etc. I hope they paint the top of the discs ochre and get the graphics as close as possible to the original labelwork the LPs had. As for the rarities, yes I want anything by Herb and the TJB that hasn't been relesed on an album previously. Anything and everything they have, put on a disc and they will get my money. It's that simple. I just want it separate from the original albums.
Capt. Bacardi: You stated before you left that Herb was also laying down some fresh trumpet tracks to create a new TJB disc from some old unreleased sessions. Any word on that from Randy? Also, if no live recordings exist, where did they get the sources for the live clips from the "Beat Of The Brass" special? And lastly,
Newly remastered versions of Herb's solo albums would be great, but the TJB discs are far more important to me. Only the solo discs that have never been available on CD are burning a hole in me, although I will buy them all if the remastering means better sound quality. I hope when they release "Blow Your Own Horn", they will include the two tracks from "Noche De Amor" since everyone loves the tunes and felt they should have been on the original US release.

David,
starting a reissue fund and waiting for the release dates.....

Numero Cinco said:
Very nice. Keep those anecdotes and remembrances coming!

I just remembered another story. At Scream Studios Randy has a bunch of insects and assorted things (dragonflies and scorpions) displayed on some walls, as if part of a museum collection. (This is not your basic decoration for studios. :wink: ) Anyway, Bob Dylan was in the studio a while back, and after looking at the walls he says (in his typical Dylan voice) "Nice bugs". Randy also has some gargoyles and demons in the studio. Someone from Nashville wanted to mix their gospel album at the studios and he had to take all the demonic figures down. Keep the customer satisfied. :D

Randy also verified that it was Ollie Mitchell in those old footages of The Hollywood Palace and The Dean Martin Show. He said he went to all of those TV shows, including those of Dinah Shore, Danny Kaye, Red Skelton, etc. Tonni became part of the TJB afterwards.

I should mention that I think Randy was a little unsure of me to begin, not knowing what to expect. He admitted that he's a lot like Herb about being private and staying low and keeping to himself. I mentioned that I passed by the old A&M lot and he asked if I went to the old house where it all started, and I said I didn't know where that was at but didn't care anyway. I'm more interested in the music aspect of Herb, and wasn't interested in his favorite color or whether he wore boxers or briefs. Randy got a good laugh at that and started opening up afterwards. Hopefully, I didn't come across too nerdy. :wink:

(Make your own joke here :D )

Capt. Bacardi

thetijuanataxi said:
Capt. Bacardi: You stated before you left that Herb was also laying down some fresh trumpet tracks to create a new TJB disc from some old unreleased sessions. Any wod on that from Randy?

Yeah, that's all part of this. As I understand it he's fixing some things and finishing others. It won't be a "new TJB" disc, but part of the rarities.

Capt. Bacardi

BTW, Randy has got to be mistaken about Ollie Mitchell on the Hollywood Palace and Dean Martin shows. The trumpeter on those shows doesn't look anything like Oliie, at least going by the "Know Before You Blow" photo where he's standing beside Herb. Anyone who has the videos and the book please take a look and see if you don't agree they are two different men.

David,
confused, online.....

thetijuanataxi said:
BTW, Randy has got to be mistaken about Ollie Mitchell on the Hollywood Palace and Dean Martin shows.

Well, he was there and knew all of the people around Herb. I have a photo of Ollie on the Jack Daugherty Class of 1971 album, and it looks similar, though he's a few years older.

Capt. Bacardi

I just remembered another thing we talked about, and that was the state of the music business. He pretty much agrees with what most of us are thinking. Here's an example:

I was mentioning how bored I had gotten with the sound of CDs today, because everything is recorded at a high level, and you just don't have those peaks and valleys in sound as it used to be. He agreed, but said that both radio and record companies mandate that kind of sound. He showed me this big stack of compressors right behind me, which was about 6' high. He said that even after they do this major compressing in the studio that radio stations then compress it even more. He really doesn't care for it, but has no choice. If he won't do it then the record companies will go to someone else who will. He doesn't like the corporations taking over and only worrying about the ledger book.

Capt. Bacardi

Wonderful news! It makes great sense that the releases of the remastered TJB catalog happens in 2005. It will coincide with the year of Herb Alpert turning 70, and it's hard to think of any better way to celebrate an anniversary like that.

- greetings from the north -

Martin

martin said:
Wonderful news! It makes great sense that the releases of the remastered TJB catalog happens in 2005. It will coincide with the year of Herb Alpert turning 70, and it's hard to think of any better way to celebrate an anniversary like that.

- greetings from the north -

Martin

It also coincides with the 40 year anniversary of the release of the WHIPPED CREAM and GOING PLACES! albums. Has it really been that long? Are we really THAT old?

Dan

C.B.: He doesn't like the corporations taking over and only worrying about the ledger book.

It's the same thing everywhere, in everything. Once people cared about quality as much as about the bottom line. Now it's only the $$$.

. . and he asked if I went to the old house where it all started, and I said I didn't know where that was at but didn't care anyway.\

The old house (and garage?) are still standing? That's impressive.

I retract my earlier comment about bonus tracks. Clearly, a majority of True Believers want everything on CD just as it was on LP. That's fine by me. The few bonus tracks I argued for could easily be categorized as rarities, thus swept onto a single disc for such purposes, if the producers were inclined.

D. B.: Has it really been that long? Are we really THAT old?

Yes, we are. In an earlier post I used the term "geezer" of myself and some others. The others didn't approve, but I fear that's the fact of the matter, or soon will be.

Hey, speak for yourself, geezer. I don't plan on being old until I am in my 80s, if then.

Heck, I just put on some TJB and it makes me feel like a teenager again!

Great news re : planned TJB / Alpert re-issues in 2005 -long overdue ....this will be worth all the waiting :)

Peter

Well, I guess I'd like to see the original albums - content, covers, artwork, and all the rest, return completely intact in the CD format. Even down to the CD itself having the original A&M label colors and logos, etc...

As for bonus tracks, rarities, or whatever they are, I'd like to see those placed on a separate CD consisting of those items only. It would be like a TJB album that never got released...

I'm happy to see all this happening, and whatever the decisions as to the process and details, it's finally happening...

Thank you, Herb Alpert...your music will be preserved for the future as it should be...I hope they become best sellers again...

Is Larry Levine involved in the reissue project at all? I recall a thread last year about reissue rumors that were brought on by an interview with Larry where he said he had been going through some of the TJB tapes.

This is excellent news.

As far as the artwork goes - the first batch of TJB albums released here in Britain had the A&M logo airbrushed out, so as far as I'm concerned, it looks strange to see it on the sleeves of Whipped Cream, Going Places or What Now.

But I'd absolutely agree on the need for decent repro. Fourth generation washed-out colour and blurry images are as offensive for pictures as they are for audio.

I'm in favour of the plan to release the albums unchanged and without bonus tracks. I have a lot of CD reissues that are spoiled by the addition of crap that had originally been discarded for not being up to scratch. If it wasn't worth releasing in 1965, what suddenly makes it great in 2004?

Sure, a separate CD of oddities - that would be the best way of doing it IMHO.

But there is of course the same problem that faced George Martin when he started to remaster The Beatles discs. Mono or stereo?

In the end it will be up to Herb, Randy and Larry. They'll choose what sounds best and that will be it. I'd rather have stereo, but the first four TJB albums I possessed were mono. The suggestion above that an album might have the stereo tracks then the mono ones is perhaps the best compromise.

I'm happy to wait however long it takes, but I shall start the CD fund now and perhaps cut down on the chocolate bars to help it along the way!

TonyCurrie said:
I'm in favour of the plan to release the albums unchanged and without bonus tracks. I have a lot of CD reissues that are spoiled by the addition of crap that had originally been discarded for not being up to scratch. If it wasn't worth releasing in 1965, what suddenly makes it great in 2004?

A good example are some of A&M's own CDs...some of the CDs released on Verve By Request here in the U.S. have bonus tracks, and the majority were alternate takes. Nothing bugs me more than having to hear the same song twice on one album. If it were a mono and stereo release, that would be fine (for economic reasons), but I would not want to hear a demo version, a rough take, and three discarded alternate takes of "Taste of Honey" tacked onto Whipped Cream. If a demo is interesting and sounds quite different from the released version, it would be great to have it on a rarities disc.

In my case, I'd prefer stereo for the releases. However, I do not want to miss out on some of the unique mono treats. For the Lonely Bull album, I'd rather have the original "non-faked" mono versions of the title track and "Acapulco 1922", or at least have them as bonus tracks somewhere. (Wasn't "Never On Sunday" faked as well? By fake, I mean that extra parts were recorded after the fact to make it a stereo recording...not part of the original performance.)

Oh, and one other mono issue--"Mexican Shuffle" without the fake stereo, please. :wink:

I would assume that those tracks will surface on the oft-mentioned "Rarities" disk. Sounds like that package could be a multi-set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom