TJB Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JO said:
I joined this group because I believed we were going to critically discuss TJB music; but, if the group's charter is solely to praise Mr. Alpert -- and little else -- I've clearly joined the wrong forum.

Well, I have no problem with people who want to discuss the pros and cons of Herb's music, but at least put it in the proper thread. This thread was to announce the upcoming reissues of the TJB albums. It may have been wiser to start another thread on what people like and don't like about Herb's music.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi and Mike are right. This is not the place to bash any of Herb's music, and that was the tone of some of the posts. Also, I'm sure the Captain would agree that Randy Badazz deserves nothing but our appreciation and respect for taking the time to keep us informed about what's going on and for visiting us periodically. And that's what bothered me the most. That James was attacking him. Everyone else seems to agree that you can like what you like and dislike what you dislike, but you don't have to be nasty or demeaning in how you do it. As I said before, I would be embarrassed if Randy reads the earlier post in this thread that was needlessly nasty. That having been said, let's get back to the joyous euphoria this thread should have us in. For crying out loud, we'll soon have all the TJB we can handle!! That's better than sex!! Well almost. BTW, Captain Dave, have you called the 800 number I gave you? LOL

David,
Hoping that The Captain will hear some release dates from Randy soon.....

Numero Cinco said:
daveK: And I recall that when Herb recorded "Rise", the original idea was to make a disco version of "The Lonely Bull".

I'm trying to imagine what on earth that would sound like. I can't. Maybe I don't want to.

But you can listen to two "modern" versions of Lonely Bull - one on the Japanese version of Second Wind and one as part of a medley on the Munich concert video. Both (particularly the Munich version) far surpass the original (which I must say I never took to!).

Stephen

Captain Bacardi said:
Well, I have no problem with people who want to discuss the pros and cons of Herb's music, but at least put it in the proper thread. This thread was to announce the upcoming reissues of the TJB albums. It may have been wiser to start another thread on what people like and don't like about Herb's music.

Exactly. To clarify: if you want to discuss the TJB's music at length, critically even, feel free to start another thread--we relish that kind of thing here, and some of us are active participants. But please don't crap all over what's basically an "announcement" thread. Thanks!

I have personally had conversations with actual TjB folks over time(involved with the band- even Herb Alpert). Criticism is ususally appreciated and relished.
I found the discussion here quite interesting, frankly. The threads are what they are. They have a life of their own.

What if Herb is using a thread like this to listen to all criticisms?- after all, he is trying to gauge peoples THOUGHTS with the new project(s) in production.He probably really enjoys the debates and feedback. He doesn't want pats on the back every second.
Even when I met Herb personally, I had a couple of not pristine comments he found interesting.

People who have been as successful as Herb Alpert are going to be able to deal with critical comments, even if it is negative or derogatory.

They have enough confidence to know who they are, so to speak, and won't "fall apart" like some sissy.

You can't make it to the top like Herb Alpert has done, and be a wimp. I don't think anyone needs to worry about Herb's ability to hang in there... :laugh:

Captaindave said:
People who have been as successful as Herb Alpert are going to be able to deal with critical comments, even if it is negative or derogatory.

They have enough confidence to know who they are, so to speak, and won't "fall apart" like some sissy.

You can't make it to the top like Herb Alpert has done, and be a wimp. I don't think anyone needs to worry about Herb's ability to hang in there... :laugh:
Wow- so nicely put!

Going back to an earlier part of the thread, I've been thinking about the "bonus tracks" or "rarities discs" approach and decided that it really doesn't matter all that much to me. If the albums are released with period-specific bonus tracks, that'd be fine with me. If the extra stuff comes in the form of an extra disc or two, that's great too. I'll be first in line no matter what comes out and I'll be grateful for it.

The reason I even mentioned that I'd prefer an exact replica disc of each album is just the purist in me. I'd like a copy of SOUNDS LIKE on CD that just has SOUNDS LIKE. But if there are a few bonus tracks tacked on - I'll be thrilled with that too.

Bottom line - I'll take what I can get and be grateful for it.

My preference in packaging is jewel boxes, but I'll happily live with mini-LP style packaging or digipaks. Herb's always been a class act and I can't imagine being let down by whatever he releases. Even DEF HITS has its good points!

Harry
NP: radio at work

I don't see any great need to lock it...it certainly isn't the first thread to go off track. It's already been suggested by a couple of people that other topics should be started in their own thread. If we locked up every thread to go away from its initial post, the forum would be fulla locked threads!

Mike Blakesley said:
Hmm, I don't think "Herb Alpert & the Legendary Shack Shakers" has quite the same ring to it though. :D

Have you actually heard the Shack Shakers, though??? Imagine Herb playing through a harmonica microphone, backed up by a wailing harmonica and a band sounding like a cross between rockabilly, bluegrass, old country and punk rock.

Well, actually, you may have heard 'em: GEICO used one of their songs in a RV commercial (which threw ME for a loop--never figured these guys would ever be heard mainstream!), the "CB Song":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008OM00/amcorne-20

"I'd like to stick around and get my miniskirt kicks, yow..."

I am excruciatingly HAPPY to hear about the re-issue news. It is waaaaaay long overdue for a group that was such an inseparable part of the 60's and 70's. I hope that the line-up includes "The Brass Are Comin'". Although it might not be their most beloved album, I sure remember liking it a lot as a kid growing up. Of course I loved all their stuff that I heard. My parents actually had a boxed set of their albums (way before I knew what a box set was) as well as quite a few of their original albums.

As far as the idea of releasing some of the music with "modern drum tracks", I beg of them to do me one favor...DON'T DO IT!!! The songs are fine just the way they are. Frankly, it embarrasses me whenever I hear great classics "re-done" to fit in with the HIP crowd. It reminds me of older people (usually parents) who try to dress and talk like their kids in order to lessen the generation gap (You KNOW what I'm talking about). The idea behind it may be noble enough, but the result makes you want to throw up (sorry). Leave the songs alone please. I also agree with others in the hopes that little or no compression or noise reduction will be added. These recordings might be a little old, but they aren't ancient and, unless they've seriously deteriorated over the years, they probably sound just fine. In any case, I want to thank Herb and everyone involved to taking the initiative to finally do this...and I want to thank everyone who has been posting here because YOU are the reason that this is happening!

Welcome to the Forum, Alan.

The Herb Alpert "box set" that you mentioned was probably the one from the Longines Symphonette Society. They were an outfit that dealt in a lot of mail-order recordings, and managed to license the first four Tijuana Brass albums along with some Baja Marimba Band tracks, and put together what they called THE TREASURY OF HERB ALPERT AND THE TIJUANA BRASS. The first four records in the set were essesntially the first four TjB albums with the tracks jumbled in a random order. The final disk contained the BMB recordings.

Those are fairly plentiful on online auction sites like eBay. I recall finding my near-mint copy for something like $5. One thing good about them is that they used a pretty good grade of vinyl for their pressings.

Anyway, yes, we're all looking forward to the new releases. From what we hear, THE BRASS ARE COMIN' will be included.

Harry
...waiting, online...

The Longines Box is quite common--last time I was in a record store across town a few years ago, they had three of them, and they were $10 each, IIRC.

As for the "remix" or whatever it's called, I have no problem with it. My thinking is: either don't buy it, or if it's on a rarities disc, skip it! :D

Harry...Rudy,
Thank you for the posts. This is the first forum that I've ever joined (although I did post a message a long time ago when we were all still holding our breath for a possible re-issue) and I'm still trying to learn how to navigate around here. I am not the most computer literate person in the world, but I try to get around anyway. Incidentally, in case you are interested in dropping a line outside of here, my e-mail address is [email protected].

The boxed set that you described does, indeed, sound like the one my parents had in the 60's. All I remember apart from the music, however, is that the label on each disc was black (with silver writing, I believe). It is unfortunate that I no longer possess a turntable and I got rid of most of my albums years ago. Most of them, unfortunately, were in less-than-pristine condition due to years of late night "partying" (which I had to give up) accompanied by shaky hands trying to manipulate the stylus onto the record (I know...I know...I can see you squinting and grimacing to the sound of the "screeeeeech"). Today, I am older, a little wiser, and I handle my CD's with an almost fanatical care.

In my teen years I became what I suppose you might call a "Die-Hard" fan of rock music. But, when my friends were'nt around...and no one was looking, I would throw on Herb Alpert, Johnny Cash, Trini Lopez and many others who weren't quite as popular with my age group (peer pressure is a terrible thing). I am so grateful that my parents exposed me to a fairly wide variety of music. I feel that those who limit themselves to any single genre are really cheating themselves.

While it doesn't exactly shock me that some artists (however worthy of merit) haven't received attention with re-issues on the CD format, I am surprised that a group like the TJB has largely been ignored until now. I'm sure that you realize, as I do, how huge they were several decades ago. Their music was literally EVERYWHERE! I have since seen many other artists with far less impact and notoriety who have had entire retrospectives done on them. I even contacted Bear Family Records a couple of years ago(whom I am quite fond of), and suggested that they do a complete retro on the TJB. I was told that they couldn't discuss works yet to be released and, for some reason, that gave me hopes that they might get around to doing something with it. Obviously, that didn't happen. I suppose that doesn't really matter now though, right? Still, it would have been interesting to see what they might have done. They are usually incredible with their remastering techniques and anyone who owns one of their box sets know how thoroughly they cover material. I wish everyone could do the same. And I certainly hope that good sense is used when putting together these welcomed works of Herb and the boys.

I hope that I didn't sound too pushy with my comments about bringing the songs up to date with modern techniques (modern drumming, etc.). I suppose I just got a vision of someone "breakin' down" some rap lyrics and inserting them into "America" or something like that. This has happened in the past with other great music and again, more often than not, I find it embarrassing to listen to.

As far as improving the sound with engineering techniques (digital media, hybrid SACD, ect.) that is altogether different. Although many of us have preferences to the remastering that will be done, I believe that most of us would prefer to hear the music in its originally performed state (rarities and alternate takes being the exception...I love to hear legitimate alternate takes!). And I read one of the posters who said they would prefer mono re-issues. It doesn't bother me. I just want to hear the same music that I loved so much back then...and still love today. Thank you, again, guys for so strongly expressing your passion about these works and their just arrival to our CD players!
Alan G.

Well, I'm actually an "old" member (couldn't remember my original sign in and password, so I created a new one), but anyway -- I read here about the forthcoming reissues of the TJB stuff and of course I'm excited! And yeah, I'll buy 'em all...but has anyone thought of the idea of having the TV shows "remastered" and put out on DVD? Years ago, I went to NYC to the Museum of TV and saw the one show he and the TJB did, replete with sponsorship by BankAmericard...made me flip! And I hope they reissue the Main Event Live recording he did with Hugh Masekela because I really like that one, as it was the first recording I had to introduce myself to Masekela, and have always thought it a fine recording. As for the rest of this trail, "Rise" is cool, have never been a fan of Wild Romance, and wasn't he working on a recording of standards with Lani Hall? In any event, think I'll start throwing some dishes on the floor and blast Zorba the Greek to celebrate the announcement!

Welcome back.

There were four TV specials from Herb and the boys, the one you mention sounds like the first one. Those have surfaced in bootleg form on eBay and its doubtful that they'd ever make it to DVD, due to performance rights, ownership of the material, sponsor concerns, etc.

According to the info we have from Randy Badazz through Captain Bacardi, this re-release information deals specifically with the Tijuana Brass period, not the solo years. So unfortunately, at least for now, MAIN EVENT LIVE wouldn't be included. Perhaps someday...

There was some talk of an album with Lani, but it never seemed to get past the talking stages. Still, we're all abuzz, just like you, about the impending re-releases. Stay tuned!

Harry
...another Philly guy, online...

herbandhughrthebest said:
...but has anyone thought of the idea of having the TV shows "remastered" and put out on DVD?

Somewhere in this thread I mentioned that there is no talk of releasing those old specials - at least not from Herb's standpoint - as they are not owned by Herb. Perhaps one day they will eventually see the light of day again.

Capt. Bacardi

I just got a message from our own Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar who has been in touch with engineer Larry Levine - who has been working with Herb on the "rarities".

Larry Levine said:
"Actually they're not re-issues. We've gone through all the old tracks that were never finished and Herb selected about 18 or 20 that were worthy of completing. He has put new trumpets on, and added some percussion to some. May add other instruments to some of them. Most of these feel really good (to my old-fashioned ear). I'll keep in touch and let you know when these are ready. "
Larry

Capt. Bacardi

Great news! Original TJB songs with new trumpets added. Can't wait. Did Larry say anything about how much longer it would be before the original albums were reissued?

David,
anxiously waituing

This thread now has over 10,800 views!

Do you think these CD re-issues are long overdue, or what?

Harry

Captain Bacardi said:
I just got a message from our own Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar who has been in touch with engineer Larry Levine - who has been working with Herb on the "rarities".

Larry Levine said:
"Actually they're not re-issues. We've gone through all the old tracks that were never finished and Herb selected about 18 or 20 that were worthy of completing. He has put new trumpets on, and added some percussion to some. May add other instruments to some of them. Most of these feel really good (to my old-fashioned ear). I'll keep in touch and let you know when these are ready. "
Larry

Capt. Bacardi

Sounds like almost two LP's worth of music. I am looking forward to this rarities disc(s) along with all the reissues.

Larry B.

Ohboy! Brilliant! Can't wait.....

(Now jumping up and down with uncontrolled excitement like the seven year old that I truly am....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom