TJB Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Blakesley said:
I don't see any great need to lock it...it certainly isn't the first thread to go off track. It's already been suggested by a couple of people that other topics should be started in their own thread. If we locked up every thread to go away from its initial post, the forum would be fulla locked threads!

Agreed. As N can tell you, I've gotten the(IMO, grossly unfair! :wink: )reputation at certain boards for hijacking threads. I merely like to 'spice them up' on occasion, or when the opportunity presents itself....

Now, I enjoy fun'n'games as much as the next guy. Ok, more than the next guy! And, IMO, there is no harm in having a little fun.

What bugs me is when someone comes into a thread to dump on someone or something...then I tend to get....well, not happy! I've been around too long to lose my temper, but the thing is, if someone wants to start a thread titled 'My Least Favorite TJB tunes,' of course who would have a problem with that? But do it there, not in a thread about getting us some reissues many of us crave.

As for discussing A&M music seriously, we do! Often! What more can anyone ask for? But it's done with TLC, friendship, good vibes, and genuine constructive criticism. I don't hang at forums where any kind of bashing is business as usual. I'm too old for that crap, and I know most here feel the same...except they're probably younger than I am! :badteeth: :goofygrin:

Let's party!:cool:

:ed:

Well, like I said, about the TjB Reissues...

...The Excitement's Still Here!!! :goodie: :goodie::goodie:

Dave :tongue:artyhat:

It is! Bring 'em on!
6654831-Ti.gif
6654831-Ti.gif
6654831-Ti.gif

:ed:

As the newest member here I just want to say HI. Now here is a question for everyone that I haven't seen answered on this thread. Will the reissues/rarities being issued on CD be available outside the USA??? I bought all the TJB records as a kid growing up but when I moved to New Zealand they all had to be given away because of space (weight limits) constraints. At present all I have are a few of the greatest hits tapes/cd's. I desparately want to add these reissues to my collection.........hope I don't have to fly back to America to get them!!!

I would say they'd be just as easily available as any other American release. But it all depends on "how" they are released. If they're on a mainstream label (like Universal), you're all set. If they wind up on some small boutique label, it might be slightly harder for you to locate them. But, I am guessing they will probably be available from a special website and I can't imagine all the major online dealers not jumping on the bandwagon. And, there is always Ebay or half.com or Gemm.

So you should have no problem, unless something is REALLY wrong with Herb's distribution plan!

jimbob said:
As the newest member here I just want to say HI. Now here is a question for everyone that I haven't seen answered on this thread. Will the reissues/rarities being issued on CD be available outside the USA???

Him Jimbob! Welcome to the Corner!

I honestly couldn't tell you whether they'll be issued outside of the USA. That part never came up in our conversation. I'd like to think that they will, but who knows? I would think they'd be available via some site as Amazon or others like it. Keep looking here for any news!

Capt. Bacardi

I don't know if this is the place to make a suggestion but I would really like to see an update section on the home page of this site. It would make keeping up with the reissues progress much easier. :thumbsup:

When there is a major development (such as a release date or other news) you can be sure it will show up on the front page in the top center with other breaking news! :) And, I would bet there will probably be some sort of dedicated website when this happens, and I'm sure we will provide a handy link to that as well.

And any releases will be reason for me to get the tijuanabrass.com home page updated as well. :thumbsup:

Hello Jimbob. I'm from Australia and new here also.

I don't know what the situation in NZ is, but here in Oz if you can't visit 3 or 4 second-hand shops (Op Shops as we call 'em), and have 7 or 8 albums/singles /ep's by the end of the day then you just ain't trying!!

Sunday markets and fetes are another great source of TJB vinyl. Record fairs are also a good source but prices will go up by a factor of 10!! I have acquired most of my TJB albums for under a dollar each.

Herb Alpert vinyl was issued by Festival records both in Oz and NZ. You can also find re-issues on the Calender label, these are identical to the Festival releases and have a "Calender Records" sticker over the original logo.

From my experience, most second hand TJB records are usually in mint/near new condition!! Consequently, I have been able to "back-up" my vinyl onto CD-R, (just one copy purely for my own use - which I am legally entitled to do, I'm not gonna get into trouble over this am I?).

P.S. All of the above assumes you still have a turntable! If you don't, please get one! Vinyl blows CD's out of the water on so many levels, anologue - warm and real Vs. Digital - synthetic, cold, sterile. It all comes down to the sampling rate, 44.1 Mhz -pathetic, and SACDs are too little too late, do they really expect us to buy another player/system to be able to hear "vinyl" quality on an optical disc?)

Sorry, started to get on my soapbox a bit there, I'll get out of your way now!

Cheers,
Linus.

And I recall that when Herb recorded "Rise", the original idea was to make a disco version of "The Lonely Bull". (Incidentally, it was Randy's idea!) Herb thought it sounded cheesy and called a halt to the sessions.

Hi Dave:

Actually to set the record straight, it was Herb's idea to try dance versions of some of his TJB tunes. I was recording and working with other people during that time and had never even thought of working with my uncle until Kip Cohen, who was head of A&R at A&M, called me up to ask if I'd work on some old TJB songs in a dance formula. I worked up some arrangements to 3 songs including Rise and we tried the Lonely Bull first during the session and it wasn't really happening. We tried Rise next and the room seemed to light up.

randy

Hi Randy. Good to see you again. I've been hooked on your uncle's music since 1966 when I heard "Tijuana Taxi" playing on my parent's stereo. This reissue project is the greatest thing to happen to the music scene in decades, IMHO. As well as the Lost Treasures and Dance mix projects. I hope they make the Tijuana Brass a household name again. Your uncle's music is a part of the American pop culture and deserves the same recognition and celebration that The Beatles and Elvis command. BTW, I have an off-topic question for you: Do you know if your uncle played on the early Baja Marimba Band LPs? I could swear that it's Herb playing trumpet on most of the tracks on RIDES AGAIN and WATCH OUT. We've asked this question on the forum, but noone herre knows definitively. Julius Wechter said he didn't when he visited us a few years ago, but my ears tell me different. Would love for you to shed some light on this if you know. Or if it wasn't Herb, if you might know who it was.

Stay well.
David,
who plans on getting all the reissues as soon as they're released......

thetijuanataxi said:
We've asked this question on the forum, but noone herre knows definitively. Julius Wechter said he didn't when he visited us a few years ago, but my ears tell me different.

That's NOT what Julius said. Julius said that the ONLY track that Herb played on a BMB session was "Las Mananitas".

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi is correct. Julius did say that Herb played on "Las Mananitas" on FOR ANIMALS ONLY. My question to Randy was more aimed at RIDES AGAIN and WATCH OUT. I would be willing to bet the farm that Herb plays on at least some of the tracks on those albums. That's why I hope Randy might know for sure. My apologies for the inaccuracy about Julius' statement.

David,
trying to find out if his hunch is correct......

I always got the impression that the TJB was Herb's bag, and the BMB was Julius'...the trumpet phrasing was different on the BMB albums, and the tone was not the same as Herb's...if it was him playing, he was working awfully hard to disguise himself. Besides, we have Julius' word that it wasn't.

A good guess is that it might have been Ollie Mitchell, or it could have been Lee Katzin or Dave Wells...Wells is well known as a session player, usually baritone horn, but I'm sure I've seen him play the trumpet or flugelhorn...maybe a bass trumpet.

I really don't think it was Herb...it wasn't his style.

Dan

I have an off-topic question for you: Do you know if your uncle played on the early Baja Marimba Band LPs? I could swear that it's Herb playing trumpet on most of the tracks on RIDES AGAIN and WATCH OUT. We've asked this question on the forum, but noone herre knows definitively. Julius Wechter said he didn't when he visited us a few years ago, but my ears tell me different. Would love for you to shed some light on this if you know. Or if it wasn't Herb, if you might know who it was.

Hi David:

I too was a little boy in the mid 60's listening to those TJB BMB albums too. Thank you so much for your kind words. You know, I never asked uncle if he played on the BMB records but if I remember I will ask him the next time we speak. Thanks again for your nice thoughts about uncle and have a healthy and happy 2005,

randy

In August of last year, Captain Bacardi quoted Randy:

"There will be quite a few things happening, TJB-wise, either late this year or very early next year. I will try to keep you updated with any new info as soon as I know."

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this quote, but it seems to imply something above and beyond just the rerelease program. Any word yet on what "things" Randy was referring to?

Craig Z

You need to do a little more reading :) . There's a "remix project" scheduled for later this year (July) on which Randy Alpert is doing a "stars on 45" type medley of TJB tunes. See the thread "Randy Alpert's TJB medley" for details.

I am aware of the remix project and do intend on buying it. Again, I may be reading too much into the quote, but "quite a few things happening, TJB-wise" sounds like there may be more in the works than the music issues alone. I guess I'm thinking a TV special, DVD retrospective, a one off reunion (A&E By Request, perhaps), etc. Just wishing out loud.

Craig Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom