To Pais Tropical or not to Pais Tropical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

William

I'm seeking advice about those new Japanese reissues of the LP's that were previously unavailable on CD. Live At Expo '70 is a shoe-in because it's a small-group album. Stillness is also a must-buy for me because it was arranged by Dick Hazard, who I like. Primal Roots I'll probably buy just because I've heard such good things about "Iemanja" and "Circle Game," and it was Sergio's and Claudio's favorite A&M album, and so on.

My dilemma is Pais Tropical. The group looks really goofy on the cover, and it's got Tom Scott on tenor sax (I like him on flute, but not tenor), and overall I keep reading about how much this LP sounds like North American soft rock.

Most of the people who've been following the Sergio discusions around here for a while probably remember that I don't really care for the Grusin-y sound of Sergio's albums starting with Fool On The Hill. Should I buy Pais one just to have a "complete" collection of Sergio Mendes' efforts from 1960-72? Or would I hate it so much that I'd wish I'd spent my $20 someplace else?

- William

Suggestion: find a cheap copy of the LP (or even cassette) to use as an audition. If you like it, buy the CD.

Personally, I'm somewhat ambivalent about PAIS TROPICAL. Some of the tracks are outstanding for me, while others don't do much. I've always viewed it as a disappontment only because it's the first Mendes A&M album without Lani. Still, Karen and Gracinha are in fine voice on the album.

Harry
...with a suggestion, online...

I sort of echo Harry's opinion: Pais Tropical doesn't do much for me. In fact, I only picked it up a couple of years ago to have a complete collection of A&M Mendes, and I've always thought it was too noisy, too "pop music" like those 70's albums that I don't care for. I'd heard the title track many times before and never have liked it, for that matter.

But my reasoning also goes in the opposite direction: this could be the only time in history we have to own a complete set of Mendes on CD, and I'm still debating if I eventually want to get this CD or not. For the few tracks I'd listen to, it's not worth the money...but it could also be one of those purchases I'd regret never making.

I say we all buy one of these CDs each, and then "burn, baby, burn!" :wink: (J/k!)

-= N =-

PAIS is all over the musical map for me, too. Some of the pop songs sound very dated ("So Many People" especially) but the album has three tracks that I can't live without....

Zanzibar, with its killer piano solo

After Midnight, with its killer Tom Scott arrangement

Asa Branca, which is just a killer instrumental. Love that Claudio Slon opening drum riff.

I also like the title track. Matter of fact, the only song on the album I really HATE is "I Know You." It just kills the momentum. So I'll probably burn, baby burn an edited version!

William, when you are popping PRIMAL ROOTS into your CD player, be forewarned...it is like nothing else Sergio ever did (or probably will do). It's great, but it's kind of an aquired taste.

(the preceding paragraph was inspired by your Dick Hazard comment.)

Of the 4 Newly Reissued Sergio Mendes Titles, I would only replace my STILLNESS Vinyl. I suppose I could buy LIVE AT THE EXPO '70, but I don't really always go for Live Albums, these days, with few exceptions.

My PRIMAL ROOTS is really on Excellent Playing Vinyl, and got Dirt Cheap--so I don't think I'll EVER need to replace that. My STILLNESS plays good by comparison.

As for PAIS TROPICAL, the group really DID go the Soft Rock or North American Pop Route. I could easily just be happy with the Title-Track and "After Midnight" making it to FOURSIDER, but "Asa Branca" IS my favorite cut on the album that I can't get ANYWHERE else. "Tonga (Tonga da Mirongo do Kabulte)", "Morro Velho" and "Zanzibar" are at least OK. "Gone Forever" and "I know You" seem a little like afterthoughts. The group seems a little lost on "So Many People"--I hear a Harmonica that sounds Really Out Of Place. But I have a good playing Capitol Records Club copy, so I won't bother replacing this one.

Dave

Gioccho Adesso: Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 PAIS TROPICAL A&M SP 4315

The Truth for me is that the first time I heard it, I really didn't like exept for the song "Pais Tropical". Then I never picked it up for another 3-4 months. I was convinced it wasn't a very good album. But, when I heard again, it grew on me so much. I loved every track on it....exept that track that...I dunno, who is it? Sergio Mendes sings? I never knew who sang it...but anyway, exept for that song, it's such a good album, and definetley worth it to get on CD! I love the songs on it, I think every Brasil '66 and Brasil '77 album is great. :D

PAIS is a fascinating album for me. When it's good, it's as good as STILLNESS: the title song, Morro Velho,Zanzibar, Tonga, Gone Forever, Asa Branca, After Midnight
But when it's blah, it's really lousy: So Many People (sorry Jon!) and the godawful I Know You ("Mommy! Make Sergio STOP SINGING!! Make him stop!!").

For me, it shows the 'road not taken' for Brasil '77, giving a taste of the hard-driving Brazilian funk band it could have been.

But what I most want to know about the Japanese CD is whether the Japanese version of the title track (among other possibilities) is included.

876.jpg

The track listing is up at HMV in Japan, and it only lists 9 tracks in Japanese. AltaVista translates them as such:

1 パイス * tropical
2 Saw * Mesny * people
3 Handle system hill
4 ザンジバル
5 Tonga
6 ゴーン * フォエバー
7 The ASA * blanker
8 Eye * no u
9 After * midnight

Of course it doesnt indicate WHICH "Pais Tropical" version is used, but knowing the Japanese, it will exactly mimic the original album and be the Portuguese version.

Harry
...off to see the other artwork on HMV, online...

MasterLcZ said:
... and the godawful I Know You ("Mommy! Make Sergio STOP SINGING!! Make him stop!!").

I couldn't have said it better! :D

-= N =-

Wellllll... Pais seems to garner mixed reviews almost unanimously! Thanks to all for your comments. The album sounds interesting enough that I'll go ahead and splurge on the CD... I find there's almost always one or two songs on every Sergio disc that make it worth owning. I say "almost" because I have Love Music on 8-track and I think the whole thing is lousy. That experience aside, I think I'll find something to like about Pais.

- William

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom