To Wait For Love...wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I grabbed a few cases of 45s on my last trip across town. Found a lot of my old favorites, but some are still missing. What I did find, that I'd forgotten I owned, was the 45 RPM single version of "To Wait For Love".

Even in its sad state (thanks to the cheap plastic!), my ears tell me that this is quite a different version from the LP version! As Harry has mentioned, the ending does not fade out as soon (in fact, it repeats an entire chorus of the ending). The lead vocal track is also very different--Herb phrases the ..."to wait for love, is just to waste your life away..." section differently, and there are a couple of other touches to the vocals that are different from the LP version. The mix, to my ears, is also different. Part of it could be from this being a mono single, but it sounds like the strings are a bit more "forward" than the LP, and there is less reverb, overall, compared to the LP.

That said, I do like the LP version better. It sounds a little more restrained and formal--the single comes across as though it was trying too hard to be a hit, and sounds a little awkward at times.

The differences are very minor, but noticeable if you know what to listen for. I didn't realize it was this different from the album version, though.

BTW, the Bacharach Box hinted that this song just didn't seem destined to be a hit single, since both Tony Orlando and Herb Alpert had only minor success with it, but it is still one of my favorite Bacharach melodies, even if the lyrics don't quite do it for me. :)

-= N =-

I think I always appreciated the single mix more because that was what was drummed into my head on the radio over and over. By the time the album came out, the song was no longer a hit and had dropped off of radios' playlists, so the stereo version didn't get as much repeated play in my head. Thus the ALBUM version sounds like the different one to me, wheras the single version became definitive.

Harry
NP: Elton John on the radio at work

One other thing I noticed: Herb is double-tracked (on voice) in a couple of places.

For me, the single is an interesting bit of history. I found it in a bunch of old 45s I haven't heard in a couple of decades. Likely at the time I had it, I would play this single over the album because the album was Mom's and the single was mine. But back then, it wasn't a favorite song, and I was more inclined to play the flip side, "Bud," because I was more familiar with it. When I'd rediscovered Warm several years ago, the only thing that struck me as unusual was that it seemed to fade out just a little bit too early (but only by a measure or two).

-= N =-

Rudy said:
I grabbed a few cases of 45s on my last trip across town. Found a lot of my old favorites, but some are still missing. What I did find, that I'd forgotten I owned, was the 45 RPM single version of "To Wait For Love". . . . BTW, the Bacharach Box hinted that this song just didn't seem destined to be a hit single, since both Tony Orlando and Herb Alpert had only minor success with it, but it is still one of my favorite Bacharach melodies, even if the lyrics don't quite do it for me. :)

And don't forget Tom Jones, whose own recording (with the subtitle Is To Waste Your Life Away added) was pegged on as the B-side of his signature tune, "It's Not Unusual." Mr. Jones's version, from what I remember, was a mere 1:58. That's who I associate with "To Wait For Love," needless to say. But I've wondered why the song never went all that far, myself. . . .

There is another version I have on a Scepter Bacharach compilation LP, sung by someone like Jackie DeShannon (or one of his usual female singers). It's taken at a faster pace, has a livelier arrangement, and the chord changes are mellowed out a bit. Gives it a whole different feel. Herb's version is nearly identical to Tony Orlando's--same key, same chord changes, close in tempo, mainly differences in the instrumental arrangement. It could be that the unusual arrangements and chord changes on the Tony and Herb versions were a little too foreign for some listeners, and with the lyrics that were just a little outside the norm (I can't explain it, it just sounds that way), it didn't quite have enough going for it to be a big hit.

I still like it, nonetheless. :)

-= N =-
...different is good...

This is a song I used to skip over back in the old days (probably to hear "Ob La Di" again, or something like that) but it has grown on me.

That 45 version sounds to me like a rehearsal. I mean, Herb's vocals never sound all that polished, but TWFL sounds quite a bit more practiced and relaxed on the LP than on the 45, to my ears anyway.

Of course some people would say that 'more polished' is bad, but I like the LP version better...probably cause that's the way I heard the song until about a year ago! :)

I couldn't possibly know the differnce, as I taped mine off the radio (on my rather rinky open-reel machine...ok, mini machine, but I figured that it sounded ok, and the 45s back then were so scratchy, so what I had was prob'ly the L.P. version...well, anyway, what has always stuck me about that song are those diminished chords, which lends a peculiar quality to the Bacharach gem; iti's as though Burt constructed his melody around a chordal experiment, or something like that. Obviously, the record was a sequel to Herb's chart-topping "This Guy's in Love..." What's interesting is that prior to the formation of the 'Brass', Alpert had attempted to present himself as a vocalist, under the name of Dore Alpert. There's also a singer named Herbie Alpert, and perhaps they're one and the same guy, but anyway, it's an irony that years after a failed foray into vocals, that the only #1 hit that he recieved during the 60s was a "This Guy"...to my knowledge, deserving though his 'Brass' performances were, none achieved the coveted top spot. Now, for my money, the one Alpert vocal during the 60s that really floats my boat was that cool closer to the "Brass are Comin'" L.P:
"You Are My Life"...with orchestration by Shorty Rogers, and a neat melody line, and a cool lyric-line, "Life" was definative...the perfect closer to what was such a cool record. Next to to magnificance of "Brass are Comin'", the "Summertime" production was rather disappointing, but in it's defense, there were many fine tracks; "Darlin'", "Hurt so Bad", "Strike up the Band", "Montezuma's Revenge" ( what a title :D) and such were fine enough, but as next to the previous production, "Summertime" was quaint.
It would be another few years wait for another truly GREAT offering from Herb and T.J.B.: "You Smile, the Song Begins", and those cool steel drums....wow! that was a winner...it's a real shoo-in for c.d. :thumbsup:
Warm Wishes,
Steve

venturaguy49 said:
Now, for my money, the one Alpert vocal during the 60s that really floats my boat was that cool closer to the "Brass are Comin'" L.P:
"You Are My Life"...with orchestration by Shorty Rogers, and a neat melody line, and a cool lyric-line, "Life" was definative...the perfect closer to what was such a cool record

I've always been partial to "You Are My Life" too -- it's one of my favorites from The Brass Are Comin'. It's nice to see someone else who agrees and really likes the track. The other vocal that I really like is "I Belong", whose composer, Goran Fristorp, once stopped by the old Forum here.

Harry
...thinking about a Herb-vocal compilation, online...

Herbie and Dore Alpert were, indeed, one and the same guy...I agree with most of the comments regarding "You Are My Life", but it was arranged by Dave Grusin, and not Shorty Rogers. I really like the "live" feel of "I Belong", and I think it was one of Herb's better vocal efforts. I really think he outdid himself on "Quiereme Tal Como Soy", however...and I'd love to hear a CD version of"The You In Me", instead of the scratchy, worn-out 45 version I have to listen to... :cry:

Dan

Dan, I can't agree much more with you that the Spanish-language closer
to "Fandango" is an impressive way to finish one inspired production, in
which all of the tracks are A-1 in a disk that neatly harkens back to
early gems such as "South of the Border", and "T.J.B. VOl 2", as well as
touching base with just about everything along the way. For all practical
matters, "Fandango" is by the Tijuana Brass, even though it
wasn't listed as such. Also, there's a disk by the title of "Noche de Amor",
or something like that, which I've tried to locate, but it isn't available, but
from the catalogue's issue date, it appears to have been at released
around the time of "Fangango", but never made the stores. Has anyone
heard it, and how does it rate? Also, I'm seeking a pair of c.d.s, being
"Wild Romance" and "Beyond", which I've had on vinyl, but they've gotten
rather worn, which is something that happens to Herb Alpert records around here :!:
Warm Wishes,
Steve

venturaguy49 said:
Also, there's a disk by the title of "Noche de Amor",
or something like that, which I've tried to locate, but it isn't available, but
from the catalogue's issue date, it appears to have been at released
around the time of "Fangango", but never made the stores. Has anyone
heard it, and how does it rate?

See our thread on the Herb Alpert solo albums at:

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=818

Harry

Status