🎡 AotW Toni Childs: HOUSE OF HOPE (A&M CD 5358)

LPJim

Staff member
1I've Got To Go Now
Drums – Denny FongheiserGuitar – Chas Sandford, David Rhodes, Tim PierceGuitar, Keyboards, Drum Programming, Bass – David RickettsMixed By – Bob ClearmountainPercussion – Luis ConteWritten-By – David Ricketts, Toni Childs
6:25
2Next To You
Backing Vocals – Crystal Wilson, Penni Wilson, Reginald Burrell*Backing Vocals [Arranger] – Ronnie HasleyDrums – Rick MarottaGuitar – David Rhodes, Tim PierceGuitar, Keyboards, Drum Programming, Bass – David RickettsMixed By – Mark McKennaPercussion – Luis ConteWritten-By – Toni Childs
5:13
3House Of Hope
Backing Vocals – Crystal Wilson, Jill Mele, Penni Wilson, Teresa DelucioDrums – Vinnie ColaiutaGuitar – Andy Summers, David Rhodes, Tim PierceGuitar, Keyboards, Drum Programming, Bass – David RickettsHorns – Tim Moynahan*, Tony Guerrero (2), Will DonatoMixed By – Bob ClearmountainPercussion – Luis ConteWritten-By – David Ricketts, Toni Childs
4:52
4Daddy's Song
Drums – Rick MarottaGuitar – Chas Sandford, David Rhodes, Tim PierceGuitar, Keyboards, Drum Programming – David RickettsMixed By – Bob ClearmountainPercussion – Brent Lewis, Jim Keltner, Luis ConteWritten-By – David Rhodes, David Ricketts, Toni Childs
6:35
5Heaven's Gate
Guitar – David RhodesKeyboards – David RickettsMixed By – Mark McKennaProgrammed By [Keyboards] – John Philip ShenaleWritten-By – David Ricketts, Toni Childs
5:14
6The Dead Are Dancing
Guitar, Accordion – David HidalgoGuitar, Keyboards – David RickettsHarp – Barbara ImhoffMixed By – Mark McKennaWritten-By – David Ricketts, Toni Childs
4:31
7I Want To Walk With You
Bass – Jerry Watts*Drums – Scott Crago, Vinnie ColaiutaGuitar – David Rhodes, Tim PierceGuitar, Keyboards, Drum Programming – David RickettsKeyboards – Jeff Martin (2)Mixed By – Bob ClearmountainWritten-By – David Rhodes, David Ricketts, Toni Childs
5:02
8Where's The Light
Backing Vocals – Crystal Wilson, Penni Wilson, Teresa DelucioDrums – Rick MarottaEngineer [Additional] – Tom Lord-AlgeGuitar – David Rhodes, Tim PierceGuitar, Keyboards, Drum Programming, Bass – David RickettsMixed By – Hugh PadghamPercussion – Luis ConteWritten-By – David Ricketts, Toni Childs
5:31
9Put This Fire Out
Drums – Jim KeltnerGuitar, Keyboards, Drum Programming, Bass – David RickettsMixed By – Mark McKennaPercussion – Luis ConteWritten-By – David Ricketts, Toni Childs
5:41
10The Dead Are Dancing (Spanish Version)4:30
11Three Days
Keyboards – David RickettsMixed By – Mark McKennaWritten-By – David Ricketts, Toni Childs
4:14

Entered the Billboard Top 200 on July 13, 1991
Charted 13 weeks & peaked at # 115

JB

The title song appeared on the "Thelma & Louise" Soundtrack:

Great album! Toni Childs' voice is incredible. Many of the songs on this album are either touching or hard-hitting. At the time it was released, I used to play both "I've Got to Go Now" and "House of Hope" over and over. I think that "I've Got to Go Now" struck a chord with many, many people, (unfortunately, when you consider the subject matter).

Toni Childs sings with great strength and passion, or fragility and sensitivity, depending on what is called for, and the musical backing has incredible power, although the album doesn't have the same 'world music' influence that its predecessor had.

Toni Childs has sold a ridiculous number of records in Australia. Her 'Very Best Of' album sold around half a million copies here, in a country that still has less than 26 million people. 'Many Rivers to Cross' was a huge hit around the same time.

'Union' was also a massive seller. In 1988, it seemed EVERYONE had a copy of 'Union'. It would be spinning at every party you went to. The year it was released, seven or eight friends and I went to see Toni Childs in concert, and we certainly were not disappointed.

The second time I saw Toni Childs in concert was, I think, in 2019, when she did a tour of city and regional areas in Australia. She was still great.

When 'House of Hope' was released, I bought not only the album, but the three singles - "I've Got to Go Now", which was Top 5, "House of Hope" and "I Want to Walk With You". "The Dead are Dancing" was another of my favourites and "Where's the Light" has the sound of a hit single. "Daddy's Song" is one of those songs that is an uncomfortable listen, because of its content.

I still listen to Toni Childs quite regularly and have all of her more recent albums, as well, such as 'The Vault', 'Citizens of the Planet' and 'Greatest', (a compilation that was sold on tour). Earlier CDs that I have are 'Keep the Faith' and 'This Woman's Boat', as well as, of course, the essential 'Very Best Of', 'Union' and 'House of Hope'.

I notice that Toni has two new albums out, including one called 'It's All a Beautiful Noise', which I must get.

'House of Hope' is one of those albums that you can't get by without owning and that your subconscious and memory command you to take out and play every so often.

Toni Childs now lives in Australia, by the way.

I liked the Union album very much (the song "Dreamer" was awesome) but I haven't listened to it in quite a while. She definitely had a unique style.

I remember I got the album for free - they had an ad in Billboard magazine where you could write in for a free promo CD, which I did.

I only listened to the House of Hope album one or two times and while I did enjoy some of the songs (the title tune was my favorite as I remember) it didn't stick to me as well as the first one did.

Back
Top Bottom