Top 5 Greatest Popular Music Singers

Sorry have to disagree with celine, really a whiny voice, does nothing for me at all
Sounds like my opinion of Barbra Streisand - a truly unpleasant voice. Thin, nasally and whiny.

Thing is, we all have a different set of ears, so we hear the same sounds differently, so all opinions are valid.

Each artist’s performance varies, too. Karen, while having a warm, rich, beautifully musical vocal sound on many recordings, had a bit of a harsh, thin, nasally sound on sections of others - usually just in certain passages - but sometimes on whole songs, around 1979 / 80.

Tina Turner! (I know she had other genres thrown in there and was never strictly ‘pop’).

The Neville Brothers, although they weren’t huge on the charts, performed a great array of musical styles exceptionally well over a 40 year career as the brothers and throughout a 60-year career and still going for Aaron Neville. And at least three of the brothers were true lead vocalists, featuring the very unusual voice of Aaron. Plus some of the brothers, (I’m not sure how many), were instrumentalists and they were all writers.

Karen Carpenter
Agnetha Faltskog -ABBA
Elton John -pre vocal cord surgery. It changed his voice. Deeper and not as smooth.
Anne Murray
Margaret “Maggie” Roche of the Roches. She can sing a half octave lower than Karen or Anne. Their Christmas album is amazing. Listen to track 2, awesome.

The Roche's Christmas album is. in fact, amazing and one of my favorites next to Christmas Portrait/Old Fashioned Christmas! I believe at least one or two of the sisters have since passed?

No, just Maggie. She had cancer. Terri isn’t doing much anymore, and Suzie is still recording solo, and with her daughter Lucy Wainwright Roche. They came through California last year, and played to a very small but enthusiastic crowd in my town. I got to talk with them before and after the show. I saw the Roches perform about 10 times over the years. They were a true gift to the music world. Their Christmas album is one of the best ever. I sold many of them to friends and customers over the years. Lucy and Suzie just released a new album last month. It’s doing well on the Folk Charts. Glad to see other fans out there.

No, just Maggie. She had cancer. Terri isn’t doing much anymore, and Suzie is still recording solo, and with her daughter Lucy Wainwright Roche. They came through California last year, and played to a very small but enthusiastic crowd in my town. I got to talk with them before and after the show. I saw the Roches perform about 10 times over the years. They were a true gift to the music world. Their Christmas album is one of the best ever. I sold many of them to friends and customers over the years. Lucy and Suzie just released a new album last month. It’s doing well on the Folk Charts. Glad to see other fans out there.

There is SO much to love in their Christmas Album; but the title track, I believe, "We Three Kings" is my favorite. Glad to hear, for the most part, they are still making music.

We Three Kings sounds like Mark Knoffler wrote and produced it. Very Dire Straits with the acoustic guitars, and classic. My favorite is For Unto Us A Child Is Born. It’s a great fugue with them singing the parts like a choir. That’s the track most anyone who ever sang in choir is in awe of. Thanks!

I forgot to add that it’s quite possibly has one of the lowest notes recorded and sung by a female artist, about half way through on an answer to “ for unto us a child in bor- orn, by Maggie. I like singing her part through the whole song. No falsetto needed. Lol
Great 3 part harmonies.

I'll just stick to Pop females, otherwise I don't have a chance here.

1. Karen Carpenter
2. Olivia Newton-John
3. Roberta Flack (she basically only ever did Pop music so she fits here)
4. Barbara Streisand
5. Anne Murray (slotted as a Country act but did almost no actual country singing)

Ed
I think there is room for male singers here too! But this way I get 10 picks total instead of five! Some of my favorites to "listen" to.

* Freddie Mercury. As lead singer of Queen and as a solo artist, his vocal chops are supreme!
* Eric Carmen. As Raspberries singer and solo artist, he can convey the sweetest ballad or pop song, then rock with the best of them!
* Glen Campbell. One of the most beautiful voices in country or pop music!
* Art Garfunkel. As part of the duo with Paul Simon, his vocals soar, and are so crystal clear.
* Matthew Koma. His voice is so pure, and almost sounds like a girl, but it is so pleasing when he sings accompanied by an acoustic setting!

Since many of you probably have not heard of him, Matthew started out when he was 14 as a songwriter and singer for teenage group "Bandcamp" being more of a rock singer. His favorite male artist is Bruce Springsteen. He is married to Hillary Duff.

OK, my list is gonna be weird, bear with me.
Bing Crosby
Nick Cave
Blixa Bargeld
Ella Fitzgerald
a certain Karen
Robert Smith(The Cure)
Exene Cervenka w/John Doe(band called X)
Luciano Pavarotti
Joan Sutherland
Sinatra
Ronald Isley

Or try The Staves, three sisters.
Or Haim, three other sisters
Or Margo Timmins, sister among brothers.

etc. No particular order and not definitive. A starting point for many directions. Styles. Hey, yeah, I’m a weirdo here

OK, my list is gonna be weird, bear with me.
Bing Crosby
Nick Cave
Blixa Bargeld
Ella Fitzgerald
a certain Karen
Robert Smith(The Cure)
Exene Cervenka w/John Doe(band called X)
Luciano Pavarotti
Joan Sutherland
Sinatra
Ronald Isley

Or try The Staves, three sisters.
Or Haim, three other sisters
Or Margo Timmins, sister among brothers.

etc. No particular order and not definitive. A starting point for many directions. Styles. Hey, yeah, I’m a weirdo here
Your tastes look like mine, Guitarmutt; a bit of everything.

I like most of these - Ella, The Cure, Joan Sutherland, Isley Brothers, Nick Cave is interesting and I don't mind Sinatra. I must admit, I haven't heard of a lot of the others, (except Bingo and Pavarotti).

I'm still in the CD age - I have a million Ella CDs, a number of Cure, a million Joan Sutherland, some Nick Cave, a million Sinatra CDs, some Isley Brothers, some Pavarotti and a couple of Bing.

Can't see anything weird about your list at all. :goodie:

I am surprised that Diana Ross is missing from the female vocal list of some of the members. She was truly a great singer for the sixties through the eighties.
She should never have done The Wiz as that did major damage to her career.

I tried to comprise this list properly without including jazz singers (my favorite genre) and singers from bands (with several exceptions).

1. ROY ORBISON - I chose Roy on his voice alone. No one sings like that! His voice was unique, and I think he's the best pop singer ever.

2. ELVIS PRESLEY - Certainly could have been #1, but his years of dominating music and the charts is like no one else. He also was largely responsible for bringing rock to the masses.

3. FRANK SINATRA - On a jazz list, Frank would be #1. Frank's strength was his amazing phrasing. He didn't have the chops or pipes like some other guys, but no one got a songs message across any better.

4. GENE PITNEY - He makes the list because like Orbison, he had an very unique and outstanding voice. He could be dramatic and yet cool at the same time. Dominated the charts in the 60s.

5. MICHAEL JACKSON - Not exactly my cup of tea, but look at his hits and his record sales. An absolute monster.

and a few honorable mentions....

ANDY WILLIAMS - So Smooth! A cool laid back singer with a great voice who had a huge number of hits.
SMOKY ROBINSON - Just listen to him sing "Shop Around". Now that's some great singing!
NAT KING COLE - (same reasons as Andy Williams)
McCARTNEY / LENNON - How can they be left out?
BRIAN WILSON - Before the British invasion and all the mid & late sixties American bands, his band ruled the world. Wonderful voice.

Since I've heard so many tremendous vocalists over so many years, I had to choose at least five men and five women for my list. They were all picked for the same reason . . . special admiration for their talent and their ability to affect me inexplicably.

1. Burton Cummings
2. Gary Puckett
3. Chuck Negron
4. Elvis Presley
5. Robert Goulet
Honorable Mention: David Gates

1. Karen Carpenter
2. Lani Hall
3. Marilyn McCoo
4. Olivia Newton-John
5. Norah Jones
Honorable Mention: Linda Ronstadt

Charles

Going to go just with the ladies for my Top 5.

* Ann Wilson (of Heart)
* Karen Carpenter (She was part of some brother-sister act!)
* Linda Ronstadt
* Donna Summer
* Laura Branigan

* (Honorable Mention) ONJ, who is no where the singer of these top 5, but love her!
Laura Branigan..Love her..known by non fans as a dance artist. Her ballads are sublime.

Too hard to pick five, but I really enjoy the vocal artistry of many women. Gloria Estefan, Olivia Newton-John, Marilyn McCoo, Amy Grant, and Vanessa Williams immediately come to mind.

1) Karen Carpenter
2) Sandi Patty
3) Mariah Carey
4) Barbara Streisand
5) Celine Dion
My top.5 female. 1. Karen 2. Barbra 3. Laura Branigan 4..Olivia 5..Judy Garland. Honerable mention Tammi Terrell, Amy Winehouse, Janet Vogel-Rapp of The Skyliners. My top 5 male. 1. Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day 2. Paul.Anka 3. Bobby Darin..4. Batty Manilow 5. Billy Joel

Too hard to pick five, but I really enjoy the vocal artistry of many women. Gloria Estefan, Olivia Newton-John, Marilyn McCoo, Amy Grant, and Vanessa Williams immediately come to mind.
For those of you wondering, of course, Karen Carpenter is the top one- by a very long lead. :)

Back
Top Bottom