Top 5 Most Cringe-inducing Carpenters Moments:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think this "crunchy elbow" motion is just Karen playing the "air drums?" Seems like a drumming motion to me. Just trying to defend Karen here... Lol!

Not unless drumming involves bashing the hi hat and snare drum repeatedly in unison at the same time :laugh:

Do you think this "crunchy elbow" motion is just Karen playing the "air drums?" Seems like a drumming motion to me. Just trying to defend Karen here... Lol!
Okay - okay - I had to go back and review this video - with all the crunchy talk! :)
C'mon crunchy Carpenters cronies... She's over-doing the corn-dog thing with Mickey Mouse in that clip! I think I may have crunched too! Or worse! Now that I re-watched with an oh-co-critical eye - I decided I like that video!
I think Karen's hair looked great, her outfit was groovy for the time, and actually, some of the footage of them riding the rides and her being so animated was kind of fun.
There, I said it.
I like the Postman video...
Plus - it's important to note that "videos" at the time were nothing more than minor promotional tools - not necessarily produced as videos for a mass public audience - or the MTV consumer - (actually MTV wasn't launched until years later....)

Ah yes, cringing. Postman doesn't make me cringe really though it does feel a bit out of place on Horizon. It feels intrusive to me on there but not cringe worthy.

Anyway, Space Encounters makes me shudder. I wanted to like it, but, well....

Beechwood too! Enough with the oldies! Plus, how many high school songs could you inflict upon Karen? High school, malt shop, it was the 80's; cringeworthy enough in retrospect.

Pushing Karen out from behind the drums. Did someone ever tell Miles Davis he had to put on a show?

OK Chorale.

Just let Karen sing! OK, there, I said it. I feel better! Listen to the early recordings. She could sing, and she had range. "And When I Die" was a revelation, along with others:
And When He Smiles
Bacharach Medley(full live version)
Can't Buy Me Love
I'll Never Fall in Love Again
Another Song

For example, all brilliant. What could've been.........OK enough.

Ah yes, cringing. Postman doesn't make me cringe really though it does feel a bit out of place on Horizon. It feels intrusive to me on there but not cringe worthy.

Anyway, Space Encounters makes me shudder. I wanted to like it, but, well....

Beechwood too! Enough with the oldies! Plus, how many high school songs could you inflict upon Karen? High school, malt shop, it was the 80's; cringeworthy enough in retrospect.

Pushing Karen out from behind the drums. Did someone ever tell Miles Davis he had to put on a show?

OK Chorale.

Just let Karen sing! OK, there, I said it. I feel better! Listen to the early recordings. She could sing, and she had range. "And When I Die" was a revelation, along with others:
And When He Smiles
Bacharach Medley(full live version)
Can't Buy Me Love
I'll Never Fall in Love Again
Another Song

For example, all brilliant. What could've been.........OK enough.

I love Postman and that video - its Karen being lively, excited, and happy, and I love seeing her ever-genuine joy of being alive.

The Beechwood song is okay but that video is horrendous for so many reasons.

And I'm so glad you mentioned "And When I Die" as a revelation because it really is - the range and power she demonstrates in that song is unbelieveable and shows just how under-utilized it occasionally was later on. And I agree on those other song picks too.

I have heard Richard say once that they didn't rehearse that much or that they should have rehearsed more during their career.
It could be that sometimes they were flying by the seat of their pants. Part of these cringe inducing moments could be Karen's kind of humour. At least she gave us a little more than just standing there. Maybe she could have done better, but she was a perfectionist. At least at the time she didn't think it was too bad. Maybe she didn't even consider any of this seeing the light of day past it's broadcast date. Lol
The more you think about about specific songs and whatever else I'm sure we can find more things to facepalm about.
It's too bad that they're littered with these moments. For the most part it seems she was enjoying herself and just wanted to make people happy. Thanks Karen for that! Thanks for showing up to the set at least! haha

I have heard Richard say once that they didn't rehearse that much or that they should have rehearsed more during their career.
It could be that sometimes they were flying by the seat of their pants. Part of these cringe inducing moments could be Karen's kind of humour. At least she gave us a little more than just standing there. Maybe she could have done better, but she was a perfectionist. At least at the time she didn't think it was too bad. Maybe she didn't even consider any of this seeing the light of day past it's broadcast date. Lol
The more you think about about specific songs and whatever else I'm sure we can find more things to facepalm about.
It's too bad that they're littered with these moments. For the most part it seems she was enjoying herself and just wanted to make people happy. Thanks Karen for that! Thanks for showing up to the set at least! haha

Very well said! I totally agree. :)

Perhaps not cringe-worthy, merely irritating,
but the Vinyl Album (Front) Cover Photo and Artwork
on the
1976 Live At The Palladium
drives me 'up the wall' !

Yeah, I remember walking around some record stores with a friend when I was first collecting Carpenters tapes in '91/92, and for some reason the UK complilation ONLY YESTERDAY and PALLADIUM were always on show. OY looked fine. . .but Palladium is the worst kind of ersatz vegas yuck. . . .not a good weapon when a young 13 year old pup's trying to defend HIS duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom